Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #851
Senior Member
 
EcoboostKev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 126 Times in 99 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Trust me I'm well aware how all of this works. No "teaching" required.
Even if your rear suspension is not collapsing as much (ala adding air bags) That weight behind the rear axle is still pulling weight off of the front end. Think of a "teeter totter". By making the fulcrum point higher on the teeter totter does not make it harder to move up and down on either side.
Click the image to open in full size.
The fulcrum point is the rear axle at this point (bumper pull trailers) therefore, no matter how stiff you make your rear suspension there is still weight on the rear end of the truck (behind the fulcrum point) pulling weight off of the front end. This is what a WDH is designed to alleviate.... not airbags. Air bags do not take some of that tongue weight and distribute it to the front of the vehicle AS WELL AS THROUGH THE TRAILER AS WELL like a WDH does...They simply do a better job bearing the load than the stock suspension does.

Its simple....Airbags help to better support the weight, WDH help to better distribute the weight.

The torsion of a WDH distributes the weight between the truck and the trailer. airbags simply support that weight. By adding airbags you aren't distributing weight. you are simply raising the fulcrum point making it look "distributed". Airbags are NOT a sufficient replacment for a good WDH setup if towing heavy loads.

You keep trying to "teach" how these things work when its apparent you yourself don't know how they work.
Hmmm I think someone just got schooled..
__________________

2011 F150 FX4 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, Fx Luxury Pkg
6.5' bed, 157"wheelbase
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #852
True North Strong & Free
 
Norotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SK, CDN
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

This will show everything there is to understand WD hitches and setup:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/17730894.cfm
__________________
2012 EB F150 XTR 6.5 Maxtow 7700GVWR, 1700# payload and lots of goodies.....
2012 F150 & 2008 Jayco 23FB
The border between Canada & the USA is a typical human creation. It is physically invisible, geographically illogical, militarily indefensible and emotionally inescapable. Hughe Kingsley
Norotso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #853
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 2,376
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 454 Times in 304 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain View Post
You say you like air bags, bug rag on people with wdh's and sitting a little low in the rear. Just because you sit level with bags and no wdh, makes YOU much lighter in front, genius.
jcain, just because someone doesn't get how things that you know about work is no reason for this kind of response. You are correct, airbags do not put the weight back on the front wheels, only a correctly adjusted WDH will do that and the one in that photo is not correctly adjusted.
__________________
2011 Ford F-150 XLT Candy Red Metallic 3.5L EcoBoost, SuperCrew 4x4, Max Tow, 5'7" Box, BedRug, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, SuperSprings, Bilstein HD shocks, Southern Speed Inc tuned, Full-Race Resonated Exhaust, Wagner Tuning IC, Reese 16K fiver hitch, Mohr Mfg SpareBumper
Cougar High Country 299RKS with Reese Sidewinder pin box
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #854
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,633
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 439 Times in 293 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post

jcain, just because someone doesn't get how things that you know about work is no reason for this kind of response. You are correct, airbags do not put the weight back on the front wheels, only a correctly adjusted WDH will do that and the one in that photo is not correctly adjusted.
Eye for an eye.
__________________
F250 CCSB FX4 6.7 minimaxx, GearHead tuning, egr delete, def dpf delete, airlift bags and wireless controller, TFI 50gal, rollX, AMPboards, BilinVic Retrofits, Rigid Industries 30" SR, Platinum 20s wrapped with 296/65 Toyo ATii`s, PMF 3-link, 2.5" icon coils, SPE 2015 turbo retro kit
jcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #855
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,633
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 439 Times in 293 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Trust me I'm well aware how all of this works. No "teaching" required.
Even if your rear suspension is not collapsing as much (ala adding air bags) That weight behind the rear axle is still pulling weight off of the front end. Think of a "teeter totter". By making the fulcrum point higher on the teeter totter does not make it harder to move up and down on either side.

The fulcrum point is the rear axle at this point (bumper pull trailers) therefore, no matter how stiff you make your rear suspension there is still weight on the rear end of the truck (behind the fulcrum point) pulling weight off of the front end. This is what a WDH is designed to alleviate.... not airbags. Air bags do not take some of that tongue weight and distribute it to the front of the vehicle AS WELL AS THROUGH THE TRAILER AS WELL like a WDH does...They simply do a better job bearing the load than the stock suspension does.

Its simple....Airbags help to better support the weight, WDH help to better distribute the weight.

The torsion of a WDH distributes the weight between the truck and the trailer. airbags simply support that weight. By adding airbags you aren't distributing weight. you are simply raising the fulcrum point making it look "distributed". Airbags are NOT a sufficient replacment for a good WDH setup if towing heavy loads.

You keep trying to "teach" how these things work when its apparent you yourself don't know how they work.
Thank you for taking the time to type it all out. I simply called him ignorant with the basic explanation.
__________________
F250 CCSB FX4 6.7 minimaxx, GearHead tuning, egr delete, def dpf delete, airlift bags and wireless controller, TFI 50gal, rollX, AMPboards, BilinVic Retrofits, Rigid Industries 30" SR, Platinum 20s wrapped with 296/65 Toyo ATii`s, PMF 3-link, 2.5" icon coils, SPE 2015 turbo retro kit
jcain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcain For This Useful Post:
Buck (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #856
True North Strong & Free
 
Norotso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SK, CDN
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Here is another good thread on WD setup

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/14265335.cfm
__________________
2012 EB F150 XTR 6.5 Maxtow 7700GVWR, 1700# payload and lots of goodies.....
2012 F150 & 2008 Jayco 23FB
The border between Canada & the USA is a typical human creation. It is physically invisible, geographically illogical, militarily indefensible and emotionally inescapable. Hughe Kingsley
Norotso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #857
Senior Member
 
atvtinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

You need to move your fulcrum point further to the back or "load" to see the point made about air bags. Because your axles are so far back in a truck, the airbags tend to lift both the truck and the trailer tongue point making the "effort " part of your drawing require less effort. The taller the fulcrum and the closer to the load it is, the less effort it takes to raise the load. More basic physics. The air bags "raise" the fulcrum point. This in turn shifts some of the weight back to the front of the vehicle. It also shifts some of the trailer weight back to the axles of the trailer something a WDH can't do. Think of the lever in the drawing as being broken closer to the load, the tongue of the trailer would rise. When not using a WDH, there is a second pivot now happens at the hitch itself. Just food for thought. Now granted a WDH does tie together the TV and TT and makes them more solid like a one-piece unit, but a airbag setup give you more flexibilty when it comes to movement. Personally, I think it a matter of preference on which one you use.

Last edited by atvtinker; 01-03-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typo
atvtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #858
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Buck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NV
Posts: 2,789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 101 Times in 57 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvtinker View Post
You need to move your fulcrum point further to the back or "load" to see the point made about air bags. Because your axles are so far back in a truck, the airbags tend to lift both the truck and the trailer tongue point making the "effort " part of your drawing require less effort. The taller the fulcrum and the closer to the load it is, the less effort it takes to raise the load. More basic physics. The air bags "raise" the fulcrum point. This in turn shifts some of the weight back to the front of the vehicle. It also shifts some of the trailer weight back to the axles of the trailer something a WDH can't do. Think of the lever in the drawing as being broken closer to the load, the tongue of the trailer would rise. When not using a WDH, there is a second pivot now happens at the hitch itself. Just food for thought. Now granted a WDH does tie together the TV and TT and makes them more solid like a one-piece unit, but a airbag setup give you more flexibilty when it comes to movement. Personally, I think it a matter of preference on which one you use.
I see what you are saying about the location of the fulcrum point. But airbags do not change the amount of tongue weight pushing down on the hitch behind the fulcrum point. airbags may slightly decrease the "light front end" effect caused by the trailer weight, but not nearly as much as a weight distribution hitch. And you are wrong about the air bags distributing weight back onto the trailer axles more so than the WDH ( I believe you said a WDH doesnt not do that at all which is false). That's the whole benefit/point of a WDH and the torsion bars...It distributes the weight more evenly throughout the entire truck/trailer combo which lowers the effective tongue weight on the rear of the vehicle. Air bags do not do that, they simply do a better job supporting all the weight at the rear of the truck.
I'm confident there is a bit of benefit to be had on the front end by keeping the rear end higher instead of sagging. But that does not mean airbags are distributing the same amount of load onto the front end and throughout the trailer as a WDH. A proper WDH setup (adjusted correctly) will level the load by distributing more weight to the front end and to the trailers axles (thats what they are designed to do). An airbag setup will slightly help distribute (not as much as a WDH) as a byproduct of leveling the load and not allowing sag in the rear. But they are not equal or interchangeable pieces of equipment. If you look at a properly adjusted WDH setup the truck will be level (or close to it) but will sit lower as a whole than a truck that is using airbags to support the rear end weight. That is because there is more load being distributed to the front end of the truck using a WDH.

Air bags are definitely better than not running anything, but they are NOT a sufficient replacement for a WDH setup for heavy loads IMO. They serve two different purposes....yet can be used in conjunction when needed. Keeping the load level is not the same as distributing the weight.

I promise I'm not making this stuff up
__________________
MARCH 2009 TRUCK OF THE MONTH!


Boise State Broncos

Last edited by Buck; 01-03-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #859
Senior Member
 
CaveRun_KY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I have rear airbags on my truck, and use a WD Hitch too when I pull my 20FT. equipment trailer... The airbags sure help A LOT!... I also haul a slide-in-camper and pull a pontoon behind, If I didn't have the airbags, Then I couldn't haul the truck camper!

I used to have a 28FT. camper and I built a hitch for the back of the camper so I could pull a small Tracker boat behind!.... I got tired of pulling doubles, So I bought the slide-in-camper!

This is the type of Weight Distribution Hitch I have!

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/index.php

This is a great WD Hitch!... Its very easy to hookup & adjust!
CaveRun_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #860
Senior Member
 
atvtinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
And you are wrong about the air bags distributing weight back onto the trailer axles more so than the WDH ( I believe you said a WDH doesnt not do that at all which is false).
Never said that airbags move more weight back to the trailer axles than a WDH. When you tie a truck and trailer together with a WDH you can no longer shift any more weight back to the trailer. You're just tying everything into a straight line so that the entire truck's suspension has to take the load. If raise the rear of your truck and the hitch point is raised then some of the weight "shifts" back onto the trailer axles as well as the front of the truck.

Last edited by atvtinker; 01-04-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo
atvtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.