Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got an f150 screw, first year plowing need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just got an f150 screw, first year plowing need help

well guys ...just as it says...I just recently inherited an 07 supercrew with the 5.4liter. I am new to this site, and also to plowing. now that my dad has passed I am left with his truck and plow and I need to take care of my moms driveway. I have never plowed before and I am hoping on some tips and tricks from you guys on here...what gear..overdrive on or off?? I have no clue. thanks for any help you guys may give.!!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you wont ever get up to enough speed to turn on the overdrive. 4x4? keep it in high until you are having trouble then stick it in low range.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

7 years of plowing cable news TV lot in NJ. I plowed nearly every storm from New Years day storm of 2001 thru the 3 day Presidents week storm of 2005 (i think). I built 7plus foot high snow banks using a western 7&1/2 foot blade on a 1997 2500 series chevy Suburban. In the 7 years we never had any one or anything else plow our 700 car lot, and some of those storms were the biggest on record, 24 plus inches in one storm. Just to provide my qualifications.....
1st*** Your doing drive ways, not road ways so your speeds will tend to be very slow torque and traction will be of most importance. Moving a blade of full of snow is a bit of work and the wetter the snow the heavier, so put the truck in 4low and leave it in drive. This will help it provide power to push the snow at lower speeds, as well as keep your alternator turning fast enogh to provide the additional current to drawn by the plow system and the electric/hydrolics rams to lift and turn the plow.
2nd*** Always try to get the truck rolling then drop the blade in the snow. This will put less dead weight standstill load and torque on everything (Frame, axles, engine, trany, etc.).
3rd*** Make sure to have 150 lbs or so of weight (you do not need much more, and remember the more weight in the bed the more weight you have to try and stop on slippery roads) against the tail gate. This will provide additional traction as well as counter balance the weight of the plow on the front. Which is of importance when you push the snow off, lift the blade and go to back up. Finally *** Always try and push the snow back 12 inches from the driveways edge. As the winter goes the 1st snows will turn to ice banks that are nearly impossible to move and break up with out a loader.
Some general advice,
A. Never park with the blade in the air, always take the load off the trcuk by setting it down.
B. When you 1st come out in the morning with snow or ice on the ground, do not try and lift the blade to drive away. Put the truck in gear and lit it bump the blade to break it free of an ice it may be frozen in, and then lift it.
C. When your driving around town with the blade mounted on the truck, raising the blade after starting the engine and turn the controller off while driving. This will keep you from accidently hit the controller and drop the blade on the street at 40 or 50 mph.
D. Unless the trucks water temp is climbing leave the blade straight when traveling. Its less likely to touch down over a big bump or when entering or exiting a parking lot. It also puts less side to side stress on tires, frame and suspension. When the blade is tipped to one side or another, you can feel a strong gust of wind try and push the truck sideways, particularly on the highway.
Good luck, and as for wearing a seat belt while plowing; I did once and my chest hurt like hell the next day (granted 12 hours under the wheel plowing), my brother always wore one, but he was also plowing hilly, trecherous, un-paved gravel driveways, and was at risk of sliding in to something or slipping off the edge and rolling the truck.

Last edited by tomb1269; 10-16-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:25 PM
2011 Harley Davidson AWD

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, that sounds like a huge pain the butt! Glad we don't get that much snow down here.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:21 AM

Thanks guys. This has helped me a lot. I was unsure if I should plow in drive or not. I want as little wear on my truck as possible. It needs to last me a looooongg time.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Plowing is tough on a truck in general. With most storms it will be fairly easy on the truck. But there will be storms that you will have to use your head. You will need to push the truck and you have to know where the line is between using your truck and abusing your truck. Most time when the truck gets stuck is where guys loose there cool and cross the line by reving the negine hard and throwing the shifter back and forth between drive and reverse. Most likely the 1st time you get stuck plowing will be because you "blew over the top of the blade" when you hit the snow back snow went up and came down on the back side of the blade. If you can not lift the blade high enough to swing it right and left, then its time to get out and dig the snow out from between the blade and the bumper of the truck. It sucks but its the best way to get loose. The other method of getting stuck is running in to the pile too deep, where the blade lifts and you end up with the chassis hang-up/high centered on the packed snow under the truck. Again, best method is to get out and shovel the snow away from the frame.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tomb1269 has some great advise there. Also, learn to put the plow on the truck BEFORE the first storm. Its much easier when the temps are warmer, moving parts arent frozen and have someone help line you up until you are real comfortable doing it. Make sure to check the fluid level for the plow.
BTW, welcome to forum, a fellow MA resident.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:18 AM

Thanks guys! I love being on forum communities. Everyone is always so helpful and u can learn some great tips and tricks. I have already practiced putting the plow on about a half dozen times and lubed everypoint the plow turns and the ppush pins that lock it into the mount...before u had to use two hands to pull the pins out...now..only one finger

Quick Reply: just got an f150 screw, first year plowing need help