Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Initial trailer brake controller setup

We are getting a 34 foot TT weighing around 8000lbs. We will get the trailer demo etc., get hooked up and be on our way. I just want to make sure that I get the trailer brake controller set up sufficiently. There will be no time to experiment as it will be highway driving immediately after leaving he dealer. TV is an F150 Eco with Max tow, HD payload and LT tires. Using a Centerline hitch.

Is there a quick checklist or a guide for newcomers?
Recommendations or "make sure I dos" for this first time experience?
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
brigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
We are getting a 34 foot TT weighing around 8000lbs. We will get the trailer demo etc., get hooked up and be on our way. I just want to make sure that I get the trailer brake controller set up sufficiently. There will be no time to experiment as it will be highway driving immediately after leaving he dealer. TV is an F150 Eco with Max tow, HD payload and LT tires. Using a Centerline hitch.

Is there a quick checklist or a guide for newcomers?
Recommendations or "make sure I dos" for this first time experience?
Do about 15-20km/h and manually engage the trailer brake until the trailer tires lock up then back it off until they brakes don't lock up. I put my trailer brake gain at 10 and started going down until it didn't lock up. Doing this will ensure when you hit your brakes the trailer doesn't slam forward on the hitch
brigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
brigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

YouTube " ford integrated trailer brake controller setting"
brigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
willieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball/Spring/The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
We are getting a 34 foot TT weighing around 8000lbs. We will get the trailer demo etc., get hooked up and be on our way. I just want to make sure that I get the trailer brake controller set up sufficiently. There will be no time to experiment as it will be highway driving immediately after leaving he dealer. TV is an F150 Eco with Max tow, HD payload and LT tires. Using a Centerline hitch.

Is there a quick checklist or a guide for newcomers?
Recommendations or "make sure I dos" for this first time experience?
There is a pretty good checklist built into the control panel display that comes up when you connect the trailer.

As far as set up, the manual really has the best instructions on how to set it up. My trailer is a good 3000 lbs lighter than yours. I have the gain at 7.2 cold, but drop it to 6.8 once the brake get some heat in them. You will know when it is too high, the trailer will jerk the truck pretty good.
__________________
WillieBoy
New Truck:
2014 F350 Lariat SCrew Shortbed, 4x4, Powerstroke
Previous Truck: 2013 F150 Lariat SCrew MaxTow HD Payload, 4x2, EcoBoost
willieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
brigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Pretty sure that check list just reminds you to check lights, chains, 7 pin. Doesn't tell you how to adjust the brakes
brigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
willieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tomball/Spring/The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I took his post to mean he was looking for both a checklist before towing and separately how to setup the controller. Maybe I was mistaken.
__________________
WillieBoy
New Truck:
2014 F350 Lariat SCrew Shortbed, 4x4, Powerstroke
Previous Truck: 2013 F150 Lariat SCrew MaxTow HD Payload, 4x2, EcoBoost
willieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Perfect guys! All great info and replies! Got a handle on it!
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

You shouldn't be able to lock up the brakes with a trailer that heavy. I would start around 8.0 at a slow speed. You will be able to tell pretty quick if you have too much. Better to be a little heavy than a little light.
You don't say it in so many words, but I assume this is your first tow with this heavy a load. It sounds a little scary, but it really isn't.
And, after testing at slow speed, there is no reason you can't test at highway speed. As long as you don't try to come to a complete stop and create a traffic problem. While you are cruising at about 60 MPH, pump the brakes once or twice and see how she reacts. If you don't get much reaction from the trailer, add a little. If you get a sudden jerk, back it off a little.
Rinse, repeat, until it feels good.
EDIT - And if I would read your whole message, I would have seen that this is your first time with this heavy a load.

Last edited by humblerb; 03-14-2013 at 06:56 PM.
humblerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dundas, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblerb View Post
You shouldn't be able to lock up the brakes with a trailer that heavy. I would start around 8.0 at a slow speed. You will be able to tell pretty quick if you have too much. Better to be a little heavy than a little light.
You don't say it in so many words, but I assume this is your first tow with this heavy a load. It sounds a little scary, but it really isn't.
And, after testing at slow speed, there is no reason you can't test at highway speed. As long as you don't try to come to a complete stop and create a traffic problem. While you are cruising at about 60 MPH, pump the brakes once or twice and see how she reacts. If you don't get much reaction from the trailer, add a little. If you get a sudden jerk, back it off a little.
Rinse, repeat, until it feels good.
EDIT - And if I would read your whole message, I would have seen that this is your first time with this heavy a load.
Okay, roger that. Most I've towed before is 3000lbs. The new trailer is around 7,200 dry and probably a little more with the options we ordered. We may hit 8000 plus or minus a bit. Think I've got a good sense for what to expect now. The first bit of highway is good and straight and not a lot of traffic. Thanks again!
__________________
2012 F150 Lariat EcoBoost SCrew 157" 3.73 4x2 Max Tow & HD Payload (2,493)
Now towing: 2014 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 832 IKBS TT
http://www.forestriverinc.com/Travel...VType=trailers
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Rock Woody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
Okay, roger that. Most I've towed before is 3000lbs. The new trailer is around 7,200 dry and probably a little more with the options we ordered. We may hit 8000 plus or minus a bit. Think I've got a good sense for what to expect now. The first bit of highway is good and straight and not a lot of traffic. Thanks again!
Nice TT We had a 2009 Rockwood (The sister of the Flagstaff) and really liked it.
__________________
2013 F150 Lariat SCREW - Max Tow
Rock Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 AM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.