Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm out of payload capacity, can't carry tongue wt of my trailer - WHAT CAN I DO????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Default I'm out of payload capacity, can't carry tongue wt of my trailer - WHAT CAN I DO????

I got my truck last summer to pull my Corvette to track events in my 20 ft enclosed trailer. It's an aluminum trailer, so it's very light weight.

I've got a 2013 King Ranch EcoBoost with Trailer Tow package, but not Heavy Duty or Max Tow packages. So I've got 7200 lbs GVWR.

The max GCWR is 15500, so I can can pull/stop a good size trailer.

My trailer loaded with the Vette and a spare set of track wheels/tires is about 5800 lbs, so no problem so far.

The truck has so much "stuff" on it (I got to pick the truck, but my wife got to pick the trim and options!) that I've only got 1115 lbs of payload - and that was before I added my BakFlip tonneau, BakBox toolbox, bed extender, and the normal stuff I carry in the cab. So...I've probably got less than 1000 lbs of payload capacity.

When towing to a track event, by the time I load up my wife's luggage in the cab and the two of us mount up, my payload capacity is probably down to 550 lbs or less.

The tongue weight of the trailer (with Vette and spare set of wheels) is 650 lbs - UH OH!!! I'm overweight!!!

I've got no capacity left to carry several hundred lbs of tools and spares I need at the track!!

If I put stuff into the front of the trailer (no room in the back) it just increases tongue weight. I'm already over payload capacity, so I can't carry anything at all in the bed!!

What can I do, other than getting a bigger truck???

Well....here is my solution:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

I just got a used Trailer Toad that will carry the entire tongue weight of the trailer plus it carries the WDH as well - so that will give me that 550 lbs of payload back to me to carry stuff in the bed, or put some in the front v-nose area of the trailer. Even if the tongue weight increases, it will be carried by the Trailer Toad and not the truck.

Below is a picture of my Sherline tongue weight scale - you can see that it shows a tongue weight of 475 lbs, and that's with the trailer empty except for the 4 spare track wheels/tires (about 200 lbs) on a tire rack in the front of the trailer. Again, with the car loaded in, the tongue weight is about 650-675 lbs:

And below you can see the trailer hooked up to the Trailer Toad and the tongue jack retracted clear of the ground so the entire 475 lbs of tongue weight is on the Toad - and you can see the shank on the front that goes into the hitch receiver of the truck is off the ground:

Here's a picture of me holding the the shank up like you would do to insert it into the hitch receiver on the truck - the tongue jack is retracted so all the tongue weight of the trailer is on the Toad and I just have to apply slight pressure under the shank to lift it, so no tongue weight is transferred to the truck:

The Trailer Toad is a "hitch extension" - it doesn't need to be registered or require a tag:

The Trailer Toad adds 2 ft to the length of my rig, and the Toad I have probably weighs 250 lbs.

The Trailer Toad is very popular with motorcoach owners that pull large 20,000 lb plus stacker trailers. The motorhome bumper hitches may not be able to handle 3000 lbs of tongue weight, but the Trailer Toad can.

My used Toad is an older model - max tongue weight capability of about 2000 lbs.

Check out www.trailertoad.com and you'll see they currently make 3500 and 5000 models (based on the max weight of the axle). The 3500 can handle more than a 2500 lb tongue weight and pull a 20,000 lb trailer. The 5000 model can handle more than a 3500 lb tongue weight and pull a 25,000 lb trailer.

I read here on the forum all the time of owners who have similar payload capacity problems like me. They want to add air bags, add-a-leaf springs, RAS units, and other things to increase the payload they can carry - none of which actually officially increases the payload capacity of their truck.

Me - I got my Trailer Toad and will let it carry the tongue weight of my trailer. That way I have my entire payload capacity to carry stuff in the cab or bed of the truck.

I think the Trailer Toad could be a good solution for a lot of F150 owners that want to pull a large travel trailer or toy hauler but are running into tongue weight problems. Get a Trailer Toad and let it carry the tongue weight - your truck will only need to pull and stop the weight of the trailer, and the entire tongue weight will be carried by the Toad.

Does anybody else have a Trailer Toad?

I'll report on how it works after I tow with it a bit.

Bob

Last edited by KR Kodi; 03-10-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

I almost didnt click on this thread because I dont know a whole about payload and towing that I could help with. But i'm glad I did, that's f'in awesome!

unless someone who knows more comes in and tell us why you shouldnt use it, I think it's great!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

That thing is wild! Have you towed with it yet; what's your impression?

My immediate concern was legality moving between states. I like the "this is not a trailer" disclaimer, but I'm not so sure I'd rest much confidence in that while trying to explain it to the state police. Then the other thing that jumps out at me is emergency stop and jackknife potential. I would think this unit would buckle in an emergency stop where the trailer runs up on the TV? Lastly for the cost of this dolly you could have installed some suspension and tire upgrades on your F150 and manage the payload better.

Reading this back my 3 comments sound negative. Not trying to be downer here, just curious if you've considered them is all.

PS: lets see the vette!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

that dolly is sweet....there's the problem solver.... op...i see your payload is just abit better than my wife's fiesta.....that sucks for a 1/2 ton..come on ford fix this major problem...
Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Interesting looks like it is rigid? Meaning it tracks true even in turns? Might make tight maneuvers a bit rough, but that Is OK.

My suggestion was to make the wife rise in the vette on the trailer. This seems better.

Realistically i wonder if this might draw more attention to you. Around here nobody cares much about payload as long as the vehicle is licensed to carry it. And they will license anything I think if you will pay the tax!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

Check out the reviews. They seem to be very dangerous in light load applications. Heavy tractor trailers are fine but the lighter pickup trucks are a problem. The problem lays with the over all system. Over certain bumps those extra wheels will cause the pickup truck rear wheels to totally loose contact with the pavement or at latest drastically reduce the pressure on the tires even for a fraction of a second. If braking is applied during that very brief period, the truck will jackknife twist and flip.
Just be very careful! Google the review and lawsuits. Just be very careful.
It only seems to work when there is a lot I mean a lot of weight on the drive axles.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntrk
That thing is wild! Have you towed with it yet; what's your impression?

My immediate concern was legality moving between states. I like the "this is not a trailer" disclaimer, but I'm not so sure I'd rest much confidence in that while trying to explain it to the state police. Then the other thing that jumps out at me is emergency stop and jackknife potential. I would think this unit would buckle in an emergency stop where the trailer runs up on the TV? Lastly for the cost of this dolly you could have installed some suspension and tire upgrades on your F150 and manage the payload better.

Reading this back my 3 comments sound negative. Not trying to be downer here, just curious if you've considered them is all.

PS: lets see the vette!
Yes - I've considered all of those things and more. I've talked to Jok Nicholson, the owner of the company. Jok (as in "Jock") is a drag racer and has many 10's of thousands of miles pulling his large 2 car trailer to drag racing events.

There are thousands of Trailer Toads out there with probably millions of miles of towing.

The Toad is a "dolly" type device and as far as I know isn't a problem in any state. A dolly that lifts the front wheels of a car off the road so you can tow the car is somewhat similar. Dual trailer semi rigs use a dolly type device to carry the tongue of the second trailer.

A trailer is always capable of jack knifing in the right (wrong?) conditions - but if the trailer brake controller is adjusted properly it's not likely.

I was looking at all the normal airbag/spring/RAS solutions to upgrade the suspension, but none of them really officially increases the load carrying payload capacity - the sticker on the truck still stays the same.

Originally Posted by packplantpath
Interesting looks like it is rigid? Meaning it tracks true even in turns? Might make tight maneuvers a bit rough, but that Is OK.

My suggestion was to make the wife rise in the vette on the trailer. This seems better.

Realistically i wonder if this might draw more attention to you. Around here nobody cares much about payload as long as the vehicle is licensed to carry it. And they will license anything I think if you will pay the tax!
It's not rigid - here's a picture of the turntable/spindle that allows it to articulate during turns:

There are two pins that you drop down into holes that lock the spindle so that you can back up your trailer in the normal manner.

Bob

Last edited by KR Kodi; 03-10-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

"Hitch Helper" is the other product that's simular.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Tha is just tooooooo cooooool. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I would be very care full with that. The trailer toad will act as a pivot point between the truck and the trailer and when going over an undulating surface it will either lift the trailer or lift the truck. The only thing controlling or absorbing this lift is the suspension on the trailer toad which is not adjustable and is made for loads of up to 20,000 pounds. I would back off the tire pressures on the trailer toad to try and reduce the lifting action. Keep in mind that an 18,000 lb RV is a lot heavier than a 7000 lb truck and will better cope with this lifting action.

To me, a better solution is to move the weight that you do have as far rearward as possible, or get a bigger truck. You can try putting the car in backwards so that the engine is as far back as possible....build a toolbox that slides under the car. If you are lucky you may find that your trailer has holes drilled that will allow you to move the axles forward.

Quick Reply: I'm out of payload capacity, can't carry tongue wt of my trailer - WHAT CAN I DO????