Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help with truck purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with truck purchase

My wife and I will be retiring in a few months and want to move up to a travel trailer with a lot more room than our current Casita (pulled by a Toyota 4-Runner). We're looking at purchasing a TT in the 28-30' range; wet weight less than 7500#. We will be pulling it all over the US on several-week-long trips; not full-timing.

To pull it, we are looking at a Ford F-150 Ecoboost w/Max Tow, 3.73 electronic locking axle, 5.5' bed. I was thinking about getting one with HD payload but don't want the 6.5' bed and our dealer was having a hard time finding one. He was able however to find several with just MaxTow.

So, what do you think of the F-150 Ecoboost, MaxTow pulling a 28-30', under 7500# TT? I want to make sure I don't make a mistake. The wife wants a bigger TT but I want to hold it to no more than I have stated.

Thanks for your replies.
Eddie
Old 05-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

There is an RV attage, 2yrs 2ft. It holds true in a lot of cases, in 2yrs you will up grade by 2 ft. With that said, you would be better off ordering an F150 with maxtow and HD as our F150s alway com up short on payload and that will be your limiting factor on what you can and cannot really tow. The HD package take the payload from the 1500 - 1800lb range to 2500lb plus. As you are retiring and looking to a lot on RVing, you may eventually want to step up to a 5th wheel. They tend to be nicer, and in most aspects tow smoother. If you think that there is any possibility, then invest in the HD package. Good luck and happy trails.
The following users liked this post:
SkiSmuggs (05-03-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 02:04 PM

One reason we are looking at a 28-30' TT and not longer is that we like camping in national parks and national forest campgrounds and do not want anything that would make us too long for the CGs we like to visit.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with tomb1269, I think you would be better off with the HD package. My truck is only rated to tow 7800#, but even if I had the 3.73 axle ratio and had the 9200# tow rating, my 1600 payload capacity is the limiting feature. I think for a trailer of that weight, if they're is more than 10% on the tongue, the HD package would come in handy to help for the additional gear I would assume you take with you in the truck. Also, the truck wouldn't sag as much from the large weight on the hitch.

I believe a large portion of the decision should come by determining how much tongue weight is on the hitch. These trucks only have hitches rated for 1050# with a weight distributing system. If you're over that you either need to upgrade the hitch, get a fifth wheel trailer, or get an F250
Old 05-02-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by tomb1269
The HD package take the payload from the 1500 - 1800lb range to 2500lb plus.
According to Ford's specs, the MaxTow/145 WB has a payload of 1900 vs. 2310 for the MaxTow/HD/157 WB package.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardo37
According to Ford's specs, the MaxTow/145 WB has a payload of 1900 vs. 2310 for the MaxTow/HD/157 WB package.
I'd agree, however those numbers do vary widely based on cab style, to or 4 wheel drive and model type. i.e FX4 vs lariat vs platium vs Xlt
Old 05-02-2014, 05:55 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I've heard that "you'll be back for a bigger one" when I bought my 1989 24' Holiday Rambler. Well still have the '89 and have pulled it at least 30K. Some state and national parks you'll even have trouble with your size.
I do agree, get as much payload as you can. Lt tires will help a lot.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

We're doing what you plan to do. We've gone to Florida every winter for a few months, have gone out west and back, kept the trailer at 28' for the US National Parks.

Our trailer is 7500# loaded with about 1100# on the tongue. But I got a SCab 4x2, so my payload was over 2000#. Still, with 1100# TW and all the junk we carry, I'm right at the truck's limits: Payload, rear GAWR and receiver rating are all close, just over or just under.

My main complaint is the F150's soft suspension which would be fixed with the HD Payload package. That package also increases your payload and rear GAWR. If I had to do it again, I would get it. You do have to order it though. As you have found out, they don't exist on the lots.

My other complaint is the Ecoboost's weak engine braking. It's to be expected with only 3.5L of low compression. The EcoBoost will get you up the mountain just fine but doesn't help you much getting down it. I'm talking extremely steep grades with 20mph hairpin turns, like the west slope of Newfound Gap road in Great Smoky Mountains NP. You need to use caution on roads like that and double check your trailer brakes before heading down. In all our travels, that's the only road where our brakes over-heated because the engine alone couldn't slow down the rig enough.

Otherwise it's been and still is a wonderful truck.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardo37
One reason we are looking at a 28-30' TT and not longer is that we like camping in national parks and national forest campgrounds and do not want anything that would make us too long for the CGs we like to visit.
We are retired and had exactly the same goal. We've been pulling a 5,500 lb 25.5 ft RV trailer with our F150. Longer trailers are tough to get into some of those remote campgrounds; dirt roads; tight turns; etc. I would actually say that 30' might be pushing it in some of the places we have been.

Our truck is an FX4; Ecoboost; 3.73's; MaxTow. Our payload on the sticker is 1,840 lbs. This has been plenty for our purposes. The truck handles the trailer easily.

I would recommend be conservative on trailer size and weight. We tow all over the country too; 3 to 4 thousand mile trips of a month or more. What many people fail to consider is what I call "towing satisfaction". In other words, how easily does your truck handle the load. We are at about 50% of rated capacity and I find that very satisfying. The more heavily loaded your truck is, the longer those trips get.

Have fun in your retirement. I would recommend the National Forest Service campgrounds in the Big Horn mountains in Wyoming. Beautiful; lightly used; great hiking and wildlife.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz
My other complaint is the Ecoboost's weak engine braking. It's to be expected with only 3.5L of low compression. The EcoBoost will get you up the mountain just fine but doesn't help you much getting down it. I'm talking extremely steep grades with 20mph hairpin turns, like the west slope of Newfound Gap road in Great Smoky Mountains NP. You need to use caution on roads like that and double check your trailer brakes before heading down. In all our travels, that's the only road where our brakes over-heated because the engine alone couldn't slow down the rig enough.

Otherwise it's been and still is a wonderful truck.
I agree with your assessment It is because of small displacement. Compression ratio is actually quite high.

Enjoy your retirement man! Isn't it wonderful being in those parks mid-week? When the noise and commotion is at a minimum?

Quick Reply: I need help with truck purchase