Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much squat should I anticipate...

Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 AM
Track Hooligan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How much squat should I anticipate...

...and do I need any mods to correct it?

I'll be using a '13 Ecoboost FX4 with the 3.55s 402A (so the tow package is with it)...
I'll be putting a 2500lb car and a 1500lb trailer (open) sometimes, othertimes it will be a 3500lb closed trailer with the same car. Either trailer will probably have another 200-400lbs of gear/tools with it.

Obviously I'm more concerned with the closed trailer weight. Should I need any shock/suspension upgrades? I plan on a weight distribution hitch regardless but I'm specifically concerned with the suspension.

As a lesser questions... What do you guys think of Livernois tunes? I'm thinking about the AIW and perhaps the 87 towing and performance tunes. We only get 92 out here and as they have only 91 or 93, I'd have to go with 91 so I was thinking an 87 tow and performance tune for daily driving and light towing and the 91 tow and performance tune for heavy towing and "fun" driving. I'd easily consider another tuner type (SCT, etc) or other shop (besides Livernois) as well.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

The WDH should help with the squat. But any F150 without the HD payload option has a pretty soft suspension when tow/hauling IMHO. I don't like the sway/float/roll. Others don't mind so much.

So I added HD shocks, Roadmaster Active Suspension and switched out the P-metric tires to LT-metric. There are many other suspension upgrade options.

You might just try towing with the WDH only and see how you like it. If you're only towing a few weekends a year, there may not be a problem.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by RideZX6R
Obviously I'm more concerned with the closed trailer weight. Should I need any shock/suspension upgrades? I plan on a weight distribution hitch regardless but I'm specifically concerned with the suspension.
Depends on your exact setup. If your EcoBoost doesn't have either the Max Tow Pkg or the HD Payload pkg, then you'll probably be overloaded over the GVWR of the F-150 with a wet and loaded cargo trailer that grosses around 6,000 pounds. My 2012 EcoBoost is overloaded with a TT that grosses only 4,870 pounds.

Your main problem will be your headlights blinding oncoming drivers. A really good WD hitch can alleviate that problem by properly adjusting the WD hitch. But if at night people still flash their headlights a you, then you need to add air bags to the rear suspension. Most popular air bags are Firestone RideRite.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...s?autoview=SKU

As a lesser questions... What do you guys think of Livernois tunes?
I think you have a screw loose if you even think about aftermarket tuning of your EcoBoost engine. For on thing, Ford will void your warranty if they even suspect you have now (or had in the past) an aftermarket tune.

For another thing, the EcoBoost engine is still too new for the guru tuners to have determined exactly how to increase horses or torque without messing up something else in the complicated twin-turbo setup of the EcoBoost engine.

With a 5.0L or 6.2L V8 engine, yeah, tune that sucker! There are several gurus that can do that and do it right. But the EcoBoost with twin turbos is a completely different animal.

I'm certainly not anti-tuning. I ran several different aftermarket towing tunes in my '99.5 7.3L turbo diesel for over 10 years, finally settling on a DP-Tuner 60-hp towing tune. But Jody Tipton, the guru behind DP-Tuner, hasn't perfected a tune for the EcoBoost yet. And neither has Bill Cohrone at PowerHungryPerformane or Tony Wildman at TotalDieselPerformance. So until one of those certified gurus of turning a turbo engine comes out with an aftermarket tune, I'll pass on someone else's aftermarket tune for the EcoBoost.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
I think you have a screw loose if you even think about aftermarket tuning of your EcoBoost engine. For on thing, Ford will void your warranty if they even suspect you have now (or had in the past) an aftermarket tune.

For another thing, the EcoBoost engine is still too new for the guru tuners to have determined exactly how to increase horses or torque without messing up something else in the complicated twin-turbo setup of the EcoBoost engine.

With a 5.0L or 6.2L V8 engine, yeah, tune that sucker! There are several gurus that can do that and do it right. But the EcoBoost with twin turbos is a completely different animal.
I totally agree with ALL of the above. Very wise advice here and you would be nuts not to follow it.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Track Hooligan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brulaz
The WDH should help with the squat. But any F150 without the HD payload option has a pretty soft suspension when tow/hauling IMHO. I don't like the sway/float/roll. Others don't mind so much.

So I added HD shocks, Roadmaster Active Suspension and switched out the P-metric tires to LT-metric. There are many other suspension upgrade options.

You might just try towing with the WDH only and see how you like it. If you're only towing a few weekends a year, there may not be a problem.
Should be about 8-10 weekends a year with the longest trip being 3.5-4 hours away.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by ecobeest

I totally agree with ALL of the above. Very wise advice here and you would be nuts not to follow it.
X2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much squat should I anticipate...