Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holy Moly

Old 05-09-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Talking Holy Moly

I just got my Reese Equalized Hitch got a deal on flea bag used from a guy in Cal that only used it a few times. Picked up the 10000 lb job for 350 and that included shipping..now then the trailer I plan to haul is only around 6 grand Fully loaded is the WDH to big? Man is this thing heavy it arrived via USPS and they had to send their special truck out to deliver it..to big for the mail lady. It appears I will have to add shocks just to compensate for the hitch weight on my FX4..LOL. Think this will be okay? Plan on hauling a 2005 Thor wanderer 217TB hybrid with it with two quads inside. I am also putting the Firestone bags on and have the prodigy 2 already installed. . I had the factory supplied adapter but the new prodigy comes with a pre-made adapter. Took about 15 minutes to mount. Only thing I have to check out are some tow mirrors. Any suggestions on those? I would like ones that collapse back in and have power for the mirrors. Now I saw some with puddle lights or turn signal lights. I do not have that option on my FX4. Is the truck wired for this? Do they sell adaptive wiring to make it so? Thanks, as if they do or if it does I would buy the upgraded type.

Last edited by ceasefire49; 05-09-2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ceasefire49
I just got my Reese Equalized Hitch got a deal on flea bag used from a guy in Cal that only used it a few times. Picked up the 10000 lb job for 350 and that included shipping..now then the trailer I plan to haul is only around 6 grand Fully loaded is the WDH to big? Man is this thing heavy it arrived via USPS and they had to send their special truck out to deliver it..to big for the mail lady. It appears I will have to add shocks just to compensate for the hitch weight on my FX4..LOL. Think this will be okay? Plan on hauling a 2005 Thor wanderer 217TB hybrid with it with two quads inside. I am also putting the Firestone bags on and have the prodigy 2 already installed. . I had the factory supplied adapter but the new prodigy comes with a pre-made adapter. Took about 15 minutes to mount. Only thing I have to check out are some tow mirrors. Any suggestions on those? I would like ones that collapse back in and have power for the mirrors. Now I saw some with puddle lights or turn signal lights. I do not have that option on my FX4. Is the truck wired for this? Do they sell adaptive wiring to make it so? Thanks, as if they do or if it does I would buy the upgraded type.

6kpd seems kind of on the light end for that camper loaded up with the addition of 2 quads... doesn't it have a 5300 pd dry weight? I'd bet you're closer to 7k+ and if you have 12-15% tongue weight that's 840-1050 pds so those bars should work well. does it have the dual cam swap prevention on it? if so that was one of my favorite hitches... a little harder to dial in, but once it was done, it worked really well.

edit: I miss read your post... you said 10k for the hitch and not 1k draw bars. that hitch should work well, you might need to swap out the draw bars depending on what weight rating they are but i think 1k bars would be perfect.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
6kpd seems kind of on the light end for that camper loaded up with the addition of 2 quads... doesn't it have a 5300 pd dry weight? I'd bet you're closer to 7k+ and if you have 12-15% tongue weight that's 840-1050 pds so those bars should work well. does it have the dual cam swap prevention on it? if so that was one of my favorite hitches... a little harder to dial in, but once it was done, it worked really well.

edit: I miss read your post... you said 10k for the hitch and not 1k draw bars. that hitch should work well, you might need to swap out the draw bars depending on what weight rating they are but i think 1k bars would be perfect.

Yep its this one. Only thing I did not get was the bar to lift the outer bars in place and I ordered that:http://www.reesehitches.com/products...lb,90-00-1000:)
Old 05-09-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm not familiar with the EQ version of Reese WD hitch, does it come with the sway cams or any kind of sway control?
Old 05-09-2014, 03:15 PM

Yep its this one. Only thing I did not get was the bar to lift the outer bars in place and I ordered that:http://www.reesehitches.com/products...lb,90-00-1000:)

oh... thought you were talking about the dual cam. i have that hitch you linked to now (well round bar instead of trunnion). you don't need that bar. in fact, i don't even use it. just put the trailer on the ball and lock it in, then raise the trailer jack until the bars swing over those L brackets (that's what the owners manual suggests). in fact, even if you want to use that bar, I bet you still have to couple the trailer and truck and raise it a bit anyways. those are much easier to get dialed in than the dual cam. I'm pretty confident that that hitch will would well for your set up
The following users liked this post:
ceasefire49 (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Yep its this one. Only thing I did not get was the bar to lift the outer bars in place and I ordered that: http://www.reesehitches.com/products/Equal_i_zer_4_Point_Sway_Control_Hitch___1_000_lb, 90-00-1000:)
The link in your post takes you to the home page of reesehitches.com, but not to a hitch. A bit of sluthing shows that the hitch you intended to show is not a Reese hitch at all, but rather an Equal-I-Zer with spring bars rated for a max of 1,000 pounds hitch weight. I fixed the link in my quote of your post so it is now a clickable link to the correct hitch.

Note that the description of that hitch includes: "Made for trailers that have tongue weights that range from 500 lb to 1,000 lb tongue weights"

If your trailer weighs 6,000 pounds with 15% hitch weight, that's 900 pounds of hitch weight. In that case, the 1,000 pound spring bars will be perfect. As long as your actual tongue weight is less than 1,000 pounds, then ya done good. So if you load the trailer so it has 12% hitch weight, the trailer could gross up to 8,300 pounds before exceeding the weight capacity of the spring bars.

Only thing I have to check out are some tow mirrors. Any suggestions on those? I would like ones that collapse back in and have power for the mirrors. Now I saw some with puddle lights or turn signal lights. I do not have that option on my FX4. Is the truck wired for this? Do they sell adaptive wiring to make it so?
The Ford Accessories catalog (and website) shows three different OEM tow mirrors available for '09-up F-150. But it doesn't go back to your 2004. I don't have any idea if a 2009 tow mirror will fit and easily install on your 2004, but if it will:

Basically, I'll call them XL, XLT and Lariat. For my 2012, the XL tow mirrors are plain jane, with no power anything. The XLT mirrors have power and heated glass, puddle lamps and turn signal lamps. The Lariat tow mirrors add a chrome skull cap and memory. I thought the FX4 was the same as XLT, but I guess not if yours don't have puddle lamps.

You don't want the XL because they don't have power glass, and you would waste money on the Lariat tow mirrors because the memory wouldn't work. So get the XLT. If your FX4 doesn have them stock, then the puddle lights and turn signals and heated glass may not work without a guru electrician's magic wiring touch, but at least the mirrors will be "power mirrors" and will manually fold back and forward and will manually telescope. The ones in the following link are the ones I put on my 2012 Lariat, and I'm very happy with them. (I don't have any use for memory mirrors)

http://accessories.ford.com/kit-rear...ror-10319.html

Last edited by smokeywren; 05-09-2014 at 04:17 PM.
ceasefire49 (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by xcntrk
I'm not familiar with the EQ version of Reese WD hitch, does it come with the sway cams or any kind of sway control?

it doesn't have any sway cams... the sway control is in the friction of the draw bars and those L brackets, so it resists all movement and doesn't have the tendency to want to center itself like the dual cam. I perfered the dual cam I had but this is way easier to initially dial in and a little quicker to hook up.
ceasefire49 (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 05:48 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
it doesn't have any sway cams... the sway control is in the friction of the draw bars and those L brackets, so it resists all movement and doesn't have the tendency to want to center itself like the dual cam. I perfered the dual cam I had but this is way easier to initially dial in and a little quicker to hook up.
Yeah I thought the OP was talking about a REESE brand hitch, but turns out he's talking about the Equalizer brand hitch we all know and love.
ceasefire49 (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by xcntrk
Yeah I thought the OP was talking about a REESE brand hitch, but turns out he's talking about the Equalizer brand hitch we all know and love.

I think reesehitch.com is not actually reese's website... I was confused too at first.

ceasefire49: i got the power class, turn signal, heated manual telescope ones from 1aauto for 220 for the pair for my 06 and they were completely plug and play and look exactly like the factory ones. the heat doesn't work because I don't have the correct fuse block or the ac/heat controls that it needs but it's not important to me (nor worth the $300 more it would cost to convert)
The following 2 users liked this post by uzikaduzi:
1Aauto (05-12-2014), ceasefire49 (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 473 Likes on 426 Posts

Sounds like you should be set. And you think you got a good deal on your weight distribution hitch? I only paid $35 for mine lol!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holy Moly