Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitch type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hitch type?

When it comes to specs and numbers I am not the greatest can anyone tell me what this actually means if I want to haul up to a 5400 pad trailer

Hitch type ......Max gross trlr wt (LB).......max tongue WT (LB)
weight
Distributing ............10,500..............................10 50
weight
carrying ..................5000............................ .... 500

This is off my trailer hitch.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

Thats rating the hitch not the trucks ability...
With a wdh 10500 trailer with max tongue weight 1050lbs..
No wdh hitch.?.or normal ball hitch 5000lbs trailer and max 500lbs tongue

Need to look for yellow tag for max load/towing....gearing/engine will help for max ability of the truck
Old 01-06-2017, 08:15 PM

This is from the other forum I started a few years ago about being able to haul what size trailer
2012 Ford fx4 4x4 super crew
145" wheelbase
5.0 V8 FFV
3.73 gear ratio
7350# gvwr package
3750lb front gawr
3850lb rear gawr
Old 01-06-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

http://www.fleet.ford.ca/towing-guides/
Old 01-06-2017, 09:10 PM

thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Shootermurray
When it comes to specs and numbers I am notthe greatest can anyone tell me what this actually means if I want to haul upto a 5400 pad trailer
Originally Posted by Shootermurray
Hitch type .................Max gross trlr wt (LB).......maxtongue WT (LB)
Weight Distributing............10,500.................... ..........1,050
weight carrying......................5000................ ............ .... 500
The 1,050 lb. means you can tow a trailer with max hitch weight of up to 1,050 pounds without exceeding the weight capacity of the receiver if you tow that trailer with a weight-distributing (WD) hitch.

The 500 lb. means you can tow a trailer with max hitch weight of up to 500 pounds without exceeding the weight capacity of the receiver if you tow that trailer with a weight-carrying hitch, such as a drawbar (shank) with a ball, but without a WD hitch.

The Max gross trlr wt (LB) of 10,500 and 5,000 pounds are never the limiter for a normal tandem-axle RV, cargo, or utility trailer, because they assume a tongue weight (including the WD hitch) is only 10% of gross trailer weight. Average tongue weight for tandem-axle RV, cargo, or utility trailer averages 13% of gross trailer weight, so you will almost always exceed the tongue weight capacity before you reach the gross trailer weight capacity.

So if you want tow a trailer that grosses 5,400 pounds, the tongue weight is going to be around 700 pounds. 700 pounds tongue weight is too much for a weight-carrying hitch, so you must invest in a WD hitch to tow that trailer.

However, that’s only the weight limits of the hitch. Your tow vehicle also has weight limits separate from the hitch. GVWR is the most likely weight limit you will bump into first. The GVWR is on the Federal Certification sticker inside your door frame that includes GVWR, GAWRs, tire size and PSI, paint codes and other codes. GVWR is the total weight on the axles of the tow vehicle, including people, payload, and hitch weight. So even though your hitch can handle the 700 pounds hitch weight of your trailer, the hitch weight may cause you to exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle.

So don’t think that just because your hitch can handle10,500 pounds of gross trailer weight that it can also handle the hitch weight of that trailer. Along that same logic line, don’t think that just because the “tow rating” of your tow vehicle is over 9,000 pounds that your tow vehicle can handle the hitch weight of a 9,000-pound trailer without exceeding he GVWR of the tow vehicle.

For example, my receiver hitch has the same rating as yours = 10,500 pounds max trailer weight with a WD hitch, and 1,050 pounds max hitch weight with a WD hitch. My “tow rating”is 8,400 pounds. But my tow vehicle is overloaded over the GVWR of my tow vehicle with my small TT that weighs only 4,870 pounds with 650 pounds hitch weight when wet and loaded on the road.

You’ll read it over and over and over again in these forums: Payload capacity is your limiter. If you don’t exceed the payload capacity of your tow vehicle, then you probably won’t exceed any other weight limit. Payload capacity = the GVWR of the tow vehicle minus the weight of the tow vehicle.

2012 Ford fx4 4x4super crew
145" wheelbase
5.0 V8 FFV
3.73 gear ratio
7350# gvwr package

No problem towing a 5,400 pound tag trailer with 700 pounds tongue weight using the receiver hitch and a weight-distributing hitch, assuming you can limit the weight of the wet and loaded truck to less than about 6500 pounds before you tie onto the trailer. 6,500 pounds wet and loaded tow vehicle plus 700 pounds tongue weight plus 100 pounds for a good WD hitch= 7300 pounds GVW, or 50# less than the GVWR. Not overloaded, but not a lot of wiggle room left for hauling more weight.

Last edited by smokeywren; 01-06-2017 at 10:29 PM.