Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helper suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helper suspension

ok I have a 8.5x16 with 2' v so its 18' enclosed trailer weight is 3200. truck squats like a mother when this thing is hooked up. What is everyone using to help with load assist. I have used airbags in the past just wondering what is popular on these trucks.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

If the trailer gross weight is only 3,200 pounds, and the load is balanced in the trailer, the truck should not be squatting enough to notice. First thing is to determine your actual tongue weight (TW). TW should be about 400 to 475 pounds if the trailer grosses only 3,200. If your TW is more than 475 pounds, you need to move some weight in the trailer back behind the trailer axles.

But if TW percent is not your problem because your wet and loaded trailer weighs a lot more than 3,200 pounds, the most popular cure is Firestone RideRite air bags installed in the rear suspension.
http://riderite.com/Ride-Rite%20Product%20Detail
Old 06-28-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's my problem everything is built in but even with it empty towing home it was just a very tongue heavy trailer. cheap trailer lol so now I'm paying to fix that.

Quick Reply: helper suspension