Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helper bags should be standard.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Helper bags should be standard.

I don't spend a lot of time around here an when I do it is in the wheels and lowered sections. So I figured I would poke around towing/hauling. I see all you guys talking about WDH and load capacities and all. So instead of putting it in 100 threads I figured I would try to enlighten you all to the greatest thing since 10 ply tires for hauling.

I present to you air bags! They are truly the greatest asset if you are going to haul anything more then 300 lbs. in the bed of your truck. Stock ride empty and perfect ride when loaded!

I am going to keep this on the shorter side so don't be afraid to do a bit of research so this thread doesn't get too boring. One side note is that you need to make sure you truck breaks are in good working order and a trailer more then 2000 lbs. should have brakes on it to make sure you can safely stop.

There are two ways to go. Fairly cheap($400-$550) or really cheap($250-$300).

Really cheap is the basic bag system that you install in about two hours in your driveway and the air bag fill is done with an air line. Typically you install the inflators as your licence plate hold downs and once you hook up the trailer you inflate the bags to level out the truck.

The slightly more expensive way is to add an onboard compressor. This adds about an hour or two to your install time but makes life much nicer. You can go with an ultra basic compressor from airlift or step up for a few more dollars and get a slightly better compressor that could also be used to air up a low tire.

We had bought a few 2013 eco boost trucks at the last tire company I worked for and installed the better kit with and installed the paddle and gage in the lowest cubby on the center of the dash. And put the compressor under the passanger rear seat(cab and a half truck).

Here is the basic set up.

And here is what a viair 300 compressor looks like

Finally the proof why air bags are the way to go. This is an eco boost I talked about with over 2500 lbs. sitting on the very rear of the bed.
This I think is completely stock stance. (10 psi in the bags is the minimum recommended but it doesn't lift the truck at all)

2550 lbs. in the tail of the bed

Old 03-22-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Sorry, but Air bags do not re-distribute weight.

They do not take weight off the rear axle and move it back to the front or add it to the trailer's axles.

A WDH does this, and many come with sway control as well.

You start with a properly setup WDH. If you then feel the ride is too soft, if the truck still wallows too much, then you add something like Air Bags or RAS and re-adjust your WDH.

Adjustable Air Bags are great for stiffening the suspension when loaded.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 AM

The air bags cary the load and eliminate any swaying and other issues by keeping everything where it belongs. With everything level and as it should be all the weight needed stays on the front tires, and the trailer axles. I have towed many trailers and some very heavy and never had a problem and never once used a WDH. Just the trusty airbags. I will post some pictures shortly.

No matter how you slice it the money spent on a WDH is always better spent on air bags.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
With everything level and as it should be all the weight needed stays on the front tires, and the trailer axles.
Yes, it does "look" right when leveled, but, in fact, there is still too much weight lifted off the front axle. It's is a common mistake.

There is a reason that Ford says you should use a WDH if your tongue weight is over 500# or the trailer over 5000#.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 AM

All of these and many more were with air bags only. The Tahoe is factory 4linked and I replaced the spring with an air bag. Each of these loads were driven around 15-45 miles each way of a round trip. The camping trailer and the mini ex were both on the highway for most of there rides.
We will start small.

And a little bigger.

Here and a few large for good measure The mini ex was over 11,000 lbs. and trailer is 32 ft. I think.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by brulaz
Yes, it does "look" right when leveled, but, in fact, there is still too much weight lifted off the front axle. It's is a common mistake.

There is a reason that Ford says you should use a WDH if your tongue weight is over 500# or the trailer over 5000#.

Keep reading towing guide! I will live in the real world!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Keep reading towing guide! I will live in the real world!
You mean the one that tells you what the maximum hitch weight and payload capacity are? You are overloading your rear axle by hundreds of lbs. It will cause problems eventually.

You need WD regardless of air bags. They complement one another but neither is a replacement for the other.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:20 AM

"You mean the one that tells you what the maximum hitch weight and payload capacity are? You are overloading your rear axle by hundreds of lbs. It will cause problems eventually."

Do you have a clue what you are talking about!?!?!?!?!?! The maximum tounge weight and payload capacity? hahahahaha you keep believe this! Trust me event you little ford can handle much more then you "maximum" rated capacity is. Do you realize that 98% of every trailer exceed the factory ratings!?!?!?!

I guess this little community loves the little booklets! Maybe I should make a little booklet and put a ford sticker up top then you will be more comfortable towing with air bags? If you have air bags and WDH then you should be put in the hall of fame of towing master! Or the museum of dorks that read too many booklets!

Anyone who lives in the real world can heed my advice anyone else keep towing your factory approved loads!

Last edited by custm2500; 03-22-2014 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ccoles (04-30-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

I guess this little community loves the little booklets! Maybe I should make a little booklet and put a ford sticker up top then you will be more comfortable towing with air bags? If you have air bags and WDH then you should be put in the hall of fame of towing master! Or the museum of dorks that read too many booklets!

Anyone who lives in the real world can heed my advice anyone else keep towing your factory approved loads!
I'd say anybody that cares about safety can ignore you. Overloading will destroy the rear axle prematurely because they are not designed for it. And that is best case scenario. You don't want to hear about worst case.

You will have to forgive us for not allowing you to give bad advice to the public and endanger someone without correcting it.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:17 PM

I guess air bag companies would be out of business if everyone was as ignorant as some around here. They not only would not sell any product but since everyone who uses there truck would kill no less then a full family due to the unsafe hauling a real load! Not to mention everyone who bought a truck and installed air bags would destroy the rear axle in a short period of time!!!

if you are a safety freak then you are best to have air ride. You can add the WDH if you want to waist a bunch of money. But the helper bags will do much more for your safety then the hitch.

Last edited by custm2500; 03-22-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Helper bags should be standard.