Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help understanding how GVWR relates to tow capacity

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help understanding how GVWR relates to tow capacity

Hi. New to the forum. I'm considering buying a 2004 F150 with 5.4 and a tow package to use as an occasional tow vehicle for a 2-horse trailer. Problem is the seller doesn't know the rating of the tow package. He did supply the VIN, which decodes to a 6,001-10,000 pound GVWR. If I back out the curb weight (about 5K), does that mean I have about 5K pounds towing capacity available? Or does GVWR have any relationship to tow capacity? Related question: When figuring tow capacity, do you consider the full loaded weight of the trailer or just the tongue weight? Thanks in advance for helping a truck/towing newbie....
Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mercat68
Hi. New to the forum. I'm considering buying a 2004 F150 with 5.4 and a tow package to use as an occasional tow vehicle for a 2-horse trailer. Problem is the seller doesn't know the rating of the tow package. He did supply the VIN, which decodes to a 6,001-10,000 pound GVWR. If I back out the curb weight (about 5K), does that mean I have about 5K pounds towing capacity available? Or does GVWR have any relationship to tow capacity? Related question: When figuring tow capacity, do you consider the full loaded weight of the trailer or just the tongue weight? Thanks in advance for helping a truck/towing newbie....
Welcome!! The stickers that are on the inside of the drivers door will give you your GVWR and also your max payload. Find out what rear end gears the truck has and you can look up the tow capacity online pretty easily. I'm guessing the max tow rating is in the neighborhood of 7-8000lbs
Old 07-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Get all the data for the truck, from the data plate on the door and from the VIN decoder. Once you have that, you can download the owner's manual and the charts will give you the ratings. For instance, if you have a SuperCab with short bed, 17" tires and 3.55 rear end, your max trailer weight is 7300 lbs and the Gross Combined Weight Rating is 13,000 lbs. So good guess by Kev, above

The only part of trailer weight that contributes to GVWR is the tongue weight. You should use the lowest limiting number in your calculations. So for the example above, the loaded trailer weight should not exceed 7300 lbs and the combined weight of loaded trailer and loaded truck should not exceed 13,000.

And then you have to take into account the capacity of the hitch system, maximum trailer weight and maximum tongue weight. The maximum trailer weight of 7300 lbs would normally require a WDH.

I always err on the side of caution with my horse trailer. From the point of view of towing performance, they are a dynamic (moving) load which can cause stability problems. And from the point of view of care of the cargo, they are my living creatures and not just a 4-wheeler or a boat.

Not that 4-wheeler or boat owners don't love their toys as much as we love our horses.
Attached Thumbnails Help understanding how GVWR relates to tow capacity-04f12og5e.jpg  
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'll check the door tag and go from there.

Quick Reply: Help understanding how GVWR relates to tow capacity