Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Travel Trailer or Lightweight 5th wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Travel Trailer or Lightweight 5th wheel?

Wet behind the Ears Newbie here... Was hoping to purchase a light fifth wheel camper in the next year. I thought that I did my homework when purchasing a new truck. However, it is quickly becoming clear that I was not nearly thorough enough... and believed the salesman too much! Having second thoughts now.We were leaning toward a F250. Dealer convinced us we would be happier with the ecoboost for towing.

At any rate, we ordered a beautiful F150 Lariat Crewcab with HD payload package and max towing. Though we love everything else about the truck, I am getting nervous now that I am switching gears and closely comparing 5th wheel tongue weights with our truck's ratings... Pulled a 30 foot gooseneck horse trailer with a F250 for many miles years ago. I loved the stability with the gooseneck set up. Definitely do not want to deal with sway.

I have been waffling back and forth between narrowing to a lightweight TT with Hensley type hitch... but keep coming back to the idea of a 5th wheel (and liking it better!). Husband uses truck for moving plywood, etc. If we go with the fifth, we will invest in a B & W Companion 5th that can free up the bed b/w tows.

As you all know, these are huge investments. We have saved for years, and want to get this as "right" as possible - and keep it safe! We hope to travel extensively in the west, including mountains, windy conditions, etc.

Here are the stats that I have on our new truck:

F150 Lariat CrewCab 4 x 4 Actual weight: 5640
GVWR: 8200 GCWR: 17,100
HD Pay load: 2,310 capacity
Max trailer towing: 11,100
RGAWR: 4,800
FGAW 4,100

Factoring in my husband, me, grandson, and the estimated shipping weight of the hitch, we are at about 950 - 1000 pounds. (The B & W shipping weight appears to be~ 150# -not sure why the actual weight is so difficult to ascertain.) If I am "figuring" correctly, we will have to find a fifth wheel with a loaded king pin weight of less than 1300 #'s. Short of a scamp, I am not finding that trailer out there! ? Any ideas, thoughts and/or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi, and Welcome!!
It's refreshing to see that someone has really looked into this b4 buying.
Out here in the wild West, many state, county, BLM, Forestry Service, etc. CG's have length limits for sites. Some of the CG's have old, narrow and windy road access. Limbs and rock cuts might hang over the pavement.
Our travel trailer is less than 30 feet long, the roof line is less than 9 feet, it has independent suspension and it is one of the lightest trailers for it's size.
I like fifth wheels. My Mom and Dad own one.
My truck is a daily driver for the next five years. I didn't get an F250 because I don't need it for now.
We may get a heavier TT sometime and then I'll buy an F250.
I suggest that you buy an F350 for hauling a fifth wheel if you go that route.
The following users liked this post:
jaykay (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you. Guess I did not do enough homework though! That is, if we had hoped to do the fifth wheel route. Sounds as if the lightweight travel trailer will be the trailer of choice to match up to the truck we bought. Does anyone know how much weight a Hensley or ProPride hitch adds to the tongue weight?
Old 02-09-2013, 02:09 PM

I would guess 200 lbs. I bought one and then sold it without using it because it is soooo heavy. I didn't want to sacrifice that much of my payload.
I use the Reese Dual Cam setup and it works very well.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Take some time and checkout Rv.net's website. Do a search on 1/2 tons towing fifth wheels. You should get a ton of threads to help you out. I know off the top of my head that some of the Keystone Cougar Lite fifth wheels would work. I looked at the 27sab before deciding on a travel trailer. Good luck, Kevin
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunately, with the lariat options, you won't even be at 2310 payload. That's a base model. My XLT is 2171lb with side steps, tailgate step and a few other interior options.
jaykay (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
Take some time and checkout Rv.net's website. Do a search on 1/2 tons towing fifth wheels. You should get a ton of threads to help you out. I know off the top of my head that some of the Keystone Cougar Lite fifth wheels would work. I looked at the 27sab before deciding on a travel trailer. Good luck, Kevin
+1. This is great advise. Lots of useful into on there.
I dont know the specifics of the hitches you are referring to however what is the wheel base and box length of your F150? You usually require a 6.5 foot box with a fifth wheel to ensure you have the required cab clearance during sharp turns. There are hitches that slide to accomodate the shorter box however they are expensive. If you go the travel trailer route then I would look at the Reese daul cam or Equalizer. They work great and virtually eliminate sway when set up correctly.
jaykay (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 AM

Unhappy

Thank you for all the information and advice. So now, more questions...

Buck, thanks for the heads up about the reduced payload. One would think that Ford would make that information perfectly clear! (Or, at least, provide the numbers in footnotes on their charts and towguides.)

Just did yet another search of the manuals, etc. Unable to find any information on how much weight I need to deduct from our payload cap based on the Lariat package. Cannot find anything online either. Please advise if you know where I can locate this information.

Still another question, albeit related; sorry if it appears stupid. When determining payload capacity, my simple mind wants to use a simple equation.
IE: GVWR (8200) - curb weight (5640) = 2560 available payload.

I like that number better!! What accounts for the discrepancy?

Thank you, again.

JK

our wheelbase is 157" 4x4
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jaykay
Thank you for all the information and advice. So now, more questions...

Buck, thanks for the heads up about the reduced payload. One would think that Ford would make that information perfectly clear! (Or, at least, provide the numbers in footnotes on their charts and towguides.)

Just did yet another search of the manuals, etc. Unable to find any information on how much weight I need to deduct from our payload cap based on the Lariat package. Cannot find anything online either. Please advise if you know where I can locate this information.

Still another question, albeit related; sorry if it appears stupid. When determining payload capacity, my simple mind wants to use a simple equation.
IE: GVWR (8200) - curb weight (5640) = 2560 available payload.

I like that number better!! What accounts for the discrepancy?

Thank you, again.

JK

our wheelbase is 157" 4x4
On the inside of your drivers door there is a sticker that gives you your payload #..
jaykay (02-11-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 PM

You say you ordered a truck. What is the status of the order?
jaykay (02-11-2013)

Quick Reply: Help! Travel Trailer or Lightweight 5th wheel?