Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Help With Travel Trailer Decision

I drive a 2013 F150 SCREW Lariat short bed with 3.55 gears. After an ENORMOUS amount of research, I am stuck deciding proper wights/length/tongue.... and STILL be able to find a Bunkhouse model that I won't get hammered by the weight police. Like most a 5th wheel would be awesome, just don't know if there are any out there besides SCAMP. Only requirements I have is a slide/bunk/4 season. Our number one that we are looking at is the Nash 25c, but just wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation. Towing specs = max trailer weight 9,800, yellow sticker for payload 1,250 that includes driver and full tank o gas (biggest limiting factor) Any suggestions would be great, except "you need a new truck" Also, I am trading in my current TT because it's just way too long to tow any distance, it's 33'
jscheelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscheelar View Post
....Towing specs = max trailer weight 9,800, yellow sticker for payload 1,250 that includes driver and full tank o gas (biggest limiting factor)....
First of all, you can fawgidaboud 9800 lbs - you won't be able to get close to that!!!

Second of all, the payload capacity on your yellow tire sticker does NOT include a driver - only a full tank of gas.

Also, have you added any mods, like a tonneau cover, bed liner, light bar, etc. - anything that didn't come from the factory will further reduce the published payload capacity on the sticker.

Who/what will you carry in the truck when towing???

Let's say you've got two lightweight people and some luggage in the cab (400 lbs), and nothing in the bed - that leaves you 850 lbs. A WDH weighs about 100 lbs, and a 6300 lb trailer with 12% on the tongue (756 lbs) will max out your payload!!

If you want to pull a fiver with a pin weight of 20% to 25% of the trailer's weight, plus a hitch in the bed that weighs several hundred lbs - well, a super lightweight Scamp is all you'll be able to pull and maybe stay within limits.

Good luck finding a nice TT to pull.
Kodi - the Kodiak Brown/Pale Adobe King Ranch SCrew EcoBoost, 5-1/2' shortbed, 4x4 and off road pkg, 3.55 locking diff, towing pkg, 36 gal fuel, 20" wheels, BakFlip Fibermax, Amp Research retractable running boards
KR Kodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #3

It says directly on the sticker that 1 150LB driver is included, also states it in the owners manual. I am fully aware that I will not be anywhere near 9,800LBS, I was just producing capabilities. There is nothing added to my truck that would increase the weight, only a 120lb passanger. I am asking for anybody else on here that may have a recommendation. We also camp light, no more than 500lbs in trailer and nothing in the bed of my truck, only 1/3 fresh full. Forgot to mention it's an ecoboost with towing packing (brake controller) not max tow though. Locking rear end, off road package LT tires.
jscheelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #4
Somethin' Bout a Truck...

We're running into a similar issue while shopping for a larger TT. Even the ones I've found 26-28ft with a GVWR of 7500lbs or so will be VERY close on maxing my payload and I've got 1564 available. We have 2 adults, 1 kid, 1 dog and our gear/food so I'm being reasonable in assuming we will have several hundred pounds between people/food/drinks/ice/fire wood and factoring in a safe 13% on tongue weight including WDH.

Good luck, let me know what you end up going with as it might work for us as well. We are looking for BHS models.
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #5

Quote:
It says directly on the sticker that 1 150LB driver is included, also states it in the owners manual. I am fully aware that I will not be anywhere near 9,800LBS, I was just producing capabilities. There is nothing added to my truck that would increase the weight, only a 120lb passanger. I am asking for anybody else on here that may have a recommendation. We also camp light, no more than 500lbs in trailer and nothing in the bed of my truck, only 1/3 fresh full. Forgot to mention it's an ecoboost with towing packing (brake controller) not max tow though. Locking rear end, off road package LT tires.
US models do not include 150# driver in payload. 150# driver included in trailer tow rating only. Definitely like the NASH 25C a quality trailer and 4 season capable if you get the thermoplane windows. I'd go for it and run air bags though if you've been dragging a bigger trailer you are already up to speed on all that.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #6
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar

Quote:
Only requirements I have is a slide/bunk/4 season. Our number one that we are looking at is the Nash 25c, but just wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation.

The Nash 25C looks good, but the GVWR is 8,000 pounds. You'll be overloaded with that TT.

Here's a more reasonable TT with GVWR of 6,200. It will overload your F-150 too, but not nearly as much as that 25C. No, it doesn't have a heavy slide, and it's not 4-seasons, but you'd have a prayer of towing it without being too much overloaded, and it has various bunk options.

http://www.skylinerv.com/?q=node/109&ID=4324&page=1
Click the image to open in full size.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #7

I'm in a similar situation to you (the OP), but have a bit higher payload. Looking to keep tongue weight between 650-800 pounds so I will have some wiggle room; and concerned about length for getting into some USFS/NPS sites. Like you, I don't max-load the trailer either. Been looking at the various lightweight versions and have a few (a lot) written down for the next show I go to, here are some I will check on in person if i can (don't know if they have your required bunk/season needs/options). Looking at 24-27 ft and :

Jayco Whitehawk
Rockwood Ultralites
Aerolite
KZ sportsmen
Puma
Aspen Trail
Everlite
Flagstaff has a lightweight version i think vlite

Good luck- be glad to hear what you decide
crsstmbrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM