Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick my Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help me pick my Toy Hauler

- Figured I'd try it as well.

I have been poring over web site after website trying to find a Toy Hauler that will fit my family and toys that I can tow safely. I have also visited about 6 dealers thus far that had a couple I was interested in stock.

My minimum criteria is:
  1. Wall between garage and cabin
  2. Private master bed room
  3. Slide out
  4. Sleep minimum of 4 comfortably (not on a sofa)
  5. Biggest RV I can get away with. If I could find a 5TH Wheel toy hauler I could tow, I would buy that.
My "like" to have is:
1. Walk around master bed (not up against the wall)

The one I am really starting to like is the 2013 Puma Unleashed 30-THSS. Weight seems to be managable but the length has me a bit worried.

At 1145, the hitch weight sounds a bit high, but the hitch weight on Toy Haulers are intentionally high because it's expected that you are going to have 1000+ lbs in the rear (teeter totter effect).

Here's a list of the ones I considered, but most have been dropped from the cut. Although there's still a bunch more I'd like to see in person.

I would love to hear from the collective wisdom of the community.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not trying to be the weight police here but that trailer will really be pushing the limits of your truck. i have a 23' toy hauler that has a gvwr of 11,100 and i think its to heavy for my truck to be towed safely. just my opinion of course. its a sweet trailer though
Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I plan on a full load you would be right as per my math. However, I only plan on towing a couple of dirtbikes (not full dresser harleys) plus associated gear. I'm not going to come close to the GVWR of 11,305. Still heavy though, so I'm not 100% locked in.

Going to go see a KZ MXT 302 and a FunFinder 275 tomorrow night. Both are much lighter.

Originally Posted by terkkila
not trying to be the weight police here but that trailer will really be pushing the limits of your truck. i have a 23' toy hauler that has a gvwr of 11,100 and i think its to heavy for my truck to be towed safely. just my opinion of course. its a sweet trailer though
Old 07-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Just my experience with campers, travel trailers, etc.... Even if you're ok on weight, it's still too much trailer for the truck. We have a 26 Ft travel trailer that only weights about 6k lbs dry. We've towed it with a 1/2 ton truck before over short distances, and it's just too much. Anything more than 50-60 miles and we use a 1 ton diesel, although a 3/4 ton gas should be enough.

Travel trailers and toy haulers are too tall and flat for a 1/2 ton truck, IMO. The wind resistance is what kills you, not the weight. It creates so much drag and sway from cross winds that it's not any fun to tow. Even one that's well within the weight limits of the truck will feel like you're dragging a giant sail.

Just my opinion, but I think you either need to be looking for something smaller around 26 ft or less with a dry weight of 6k lbs or less if you intend to keep the same truck. Otherwise, start shopping for a 3/4 ton truck. You might want to check around and see if you can rent a travel trailer for a day or two, or if the dealership has a used one you can hook to and tow around for a few miles just to see what it's like.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my Toy Hauler