Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with my balls.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help me with my *****.

I'm picking up this this with this (see below) and I've never towed anything before. I know I'm good on weights, and I'm getting a WD hitch when I pick it up Wednesday.

I need a ball hitch, but it looks like there are size options. How do I know what size to get? My guess is it's going to depend on the WD hitch, in which case I'll call the dealer and find out what kind I'm getting (I negotiated it into the deal).

Anything else? I'm going to put it right into storage so I'll have to wait for Spring to have fun with the new toy.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Ball should come with the hitch. Will be a 2-5/8".

You don't have to go into storage. Cold weather doesn't stop us. Hit 27 Friday night when we went out.
The following users liked this post:
Fodase (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:15 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Could be a 2" or a 2and 5/16 It will say on the coupler If you are going to tow that trailer any distance you should invest in a W.D. hitch.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just guessing from the electric tongue jack, it will have a 2-5/8" ball.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll call the place today and make sure I get the right ball if it doesn't come with one.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 150
Just guessing from the electric tongue jack, it will have a 2-5/8" ball.
I think you mean 2 5/16"

The trailer side hitch is size specific. Most are the aforementioned 2 5/16".

If you are going WD it will be 2 5/16". Hopefully they can give you a lesson on setup and/or set it up for you.

Your F150 will tow 5000# very nicely although you will know it's back there. Slow starts and early braking combined with leaving more room than normal between vehicles in front you you.

Enjoy the TT!!

Last edited by Dirttracker18; 11-01-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:19 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Nice TT. Congrats!
Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fodase
I need a ball hitch, but it looks like there are size options. How do I know what size to get? My guess is it's going to depend on the WD hitch, in which case I'll call the dealer and find out what kind I'm getting (I negotiated it into the deal).
There are size differences as well as weight capacity differences.

The weight capacity of the ball must be more than the GVWR of the trailer. Your ball probably needs to have 10,000 pounds weight capacity.

You want the exact same size ball as the coupler on the TT. Probably 2 5/16", but look at the coupler to be certain. Ball size has nothing to do with the kind of hitch you are using, but is determined by the size ball required to fit the coupler on the trailer tongue.

In addition to the weight capacity and size of the ball, you also need the right size of shank of the ball. You want the size ball shank that will fit snugly into the ball mount. That could depend on which ball mount you get.

Normally, a ball is not included with a weight-distributing (WD) hitch kit, and for many WD hitches you don't even get the adjustable shank that is between the ball mount and the receiver hitch. You must have the ball and the adjustable shank, but they are sold as additional hitch parts. But if the trailer dealer is hooking it all up for you, he will have to have the hitch shank, ball mount, and correct ball as part of the total WD hook up.

The ball for my 20' box TT and 14' box cargo trailer with Reese StraitLine dual cam WD hitch is 2 + 5/16th inches diameter with a 1.25" ball shank and rated for 10,000 pounds max trailer weight. That's probably what yours will be too.

However, the ball in the weigh-carrying ball mount for my utility trailers is 2" ball over a 1" shank and rated for 7,000 pounds max trailer weight. Those lighter-duty trailers have a 2" coupler instead of the 2 + 5/16" coupler of the TT.

Last edited by smokeywren; 11-01-2013 at 08:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Osborne (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Dirttracker18;3070183]I think you mean 2 5/16"

Yep, my bad.
Although, this is a "help me with my *****" thread, and you did!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:44 PM

I should have taken pictures of the setup, but it's an Anderson weight distributing hitch that uses chains instead of bars. They told me this setup is quieter than the bars, but I don't know if that's true. The dealer installed everything and in the short time I had it (now in storage), it pulled just fine. It did come with an adjustable shank.

As Dirttracker predicted, I can tell it's back there but it pulls easily. I was very impressed with the Ford setup, everything from a checklist to an extra blink on the turn signal, it worked great. It was interesting seeing the output from the truck to the trailer brakes, and as I was careful to leave extra room I had no problems.

I drove it once for about 45 minutes, and the wife did the same. I do think extended towing mirrors would be helpful (I knew I should have ordered the Max Tow!) but the wife doesn't think it will help much. We'll see in the Spring when we get it out of storage and try a set of mirrors.

Quick Reply: Help me with my balls.