Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help interpreting towing numbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help interpreting towing numbers

I'm looking at the ford towing guide and need some help because a few things dont make sense...

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...0_r1_Jan12.pdf

I'm looking at the ecoboost, supercrew section.
The last two rows in the table are numbers for when you select the heavy duty payload package, and the Ford build your own corroborates that the 3.73s only come with that package. Max is 11,700 or 11,800 depending on the wheels, but why are those numbers only in the column for 4x4? What is the number of 4x2 or does the heavy duty payload package require 4x4?

Then...

If you slide up the table to the bottom of the 3.55 data...and the same eco, supercrew lists 11,900 in either 4x2 or 4x4. So the heavy duty payload package gives you stiffer springs, 3.73s, locks you into 18" wheels....and a lower towing capacity? I realize the payload package's intent is for putting campers in the bed but I'm pretty surprised by the lower number. Or am I reading this wrong?

FYI my intent is to pull a 28 foot race car trailer. The trailer itself is ~5k, plus the car, parts, tools, etc. I'm looking at between 10-11k.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I see #s for 4x4 and 4x2. There are no numbers for the shortbox trucks though.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by cmc#5
I'm looking at the ford towing guide and need some help because a few things dont make sense...

....FYI my intent is to pull a 28 foot race car trailer. The trailer itself is ~5k, plus the car, parts, tools, etc. I'm looking at between 10-11k.
You are looking at the completely wrong weights!!!

As far as "max loaded trailer weight ratings" - FERGIDABOUDIT!!!

Those weights are pure "sales" numbers. Ford determines them differently this year using an SAE method, that probably makes them easier to compare to the other manufacturers, but those weights are determined with a skinny 150 lb driver, and a NO OPTIONS truck!! That makes the weight as high as absolutely possible so they look good compared to other trucks you may compare it to.

What you really need to be considering are the GVWR and Payload Capacity!! Both of these are published on two stickers on the driver's door.

Some other important ratings are the GAWR for the front and rear axles (also on the door sticker), the GCWR, and the hitch rating (on a sticker on the bottom of the hitch under the rear bumper).

In the towing guide, you can see that on page 4 they list the hitch rating with a WDH at a max tongue weight of 1220 lbs. I'm sure that's for the Max Tow package.

The limiting rating is most often the payload capacity of the truck, but the 2015 with HD and Max Tow packages can have a very generous payload capacity.

I think you're gonna be limited by hitch rating.

Fer instance:
I looked at 2015 at my local dealer. It was a nice XLT with FX4/Offroad packages, had a tailgate step and bedside step, a factory installed bed liner, standard tow package, and not much else.

It had a GVWR of 7050 lbs, and a payload capacity of 1667 lbs. Subtract the payload capacity from the GVWR and you find the empty truck (completely empty except for a full tank of gas) weighs 5383 lbs.

If you look on the online F150 site and pull down the "specs" tab:

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

you can see that under "max payload weight ratings" (also BS "sales" numbers!!) for the 4x4 EcoBoost, it shows that the longbed SuperCrew with that 7050 GVWR has a "max" payload of 2010 lbs. That means the empty truck weighs 5040 lbs.

Their "sales brochure" max payload example has a payload capacity of 343 lbs more than the lightly optioned XLT I saw at the dealer. In other words the truck I saw at the dealer weighed 343 lbs more than the no options "sales brochure" truck they used to come up with that BS "sales" payload capacity.

If that truck didn't have the offroad option it might have weighed 43 lbs less (maybe that's what the offroad shields weigh), so maybe the difference is more like 300 lbs.
So.....If you look again at that "specs" page in the link above you'll see:
If you consider a 4x4 SuperCrew with the 7850 GVWR, you can see that it has a "max" payload capacity of 2650 lbs.

If you get any options, I'm sure you'll be at least 300 lbs less than that in a normal F150, and if you add a moonroof and a few other options you'll be more like 350 lbs less, i.e., the published payload capacity for an HD Max Payload truck with normal options will probably be 2300 lbs at the most.

And by the time you install your 100 lb WDH you'll be down to a 2200 lb payload capacity remaining for people and stuff in cab and bed, and tongue weight of a trailer - which is still a very healthy weight!!
However.....what will you carry in the truck when you're towing??? If it's 2 normal size adults and maybe some light luggage in the cab (that might be 400 lbs), and in the bed maybe just 100 lbs of tools to change a tire - that takes your payload capacity down to 1700 lbs.

Now, for the real determination!!! What will your tongue weight be??? Tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of the loaded weight of your trailer, with a normal of 12%.

With a 100lb WDH head already mounted on the hitch, you've got 1120 lbs remaining for tongue weight.

Divide 12% (.12) into 1120 and you get a max trailer weight of 9333 lbs.

If you can load a 10,000 lb trailer to get no more than 11% tongue weight (1100 lbs) I would think that 10,000 lbs would be the absolute MAX trailer weight you should try to pull with that example truck with a 2300 lb payload capacity.

Normally the payload capacity will be the limiting factor of max trailer weight. But, with the very generous payload capacity in the example, you could pile almost another 500 lbs in the cab and bed of the truck and still have enough for a max tongue weight that the hitch can handle.

It also looks like that the example truck with a 2300 lb payload capacity would weigh 5550 empty, and even with 1000 lbs of people and stuff in the cab and bed would be 6550. Subtract that from the GCWR of 17100 and you get 10550 lbs remaining for the max weight of a trailer.

So, in the example case above, hitch rating appears to be the limiting factor.

Bottom line, even though a 2015 F150 with HD and Max Tow sounds like it can tow a huge trailer, what you carry in the cab and bed will determine how much payload capacity remains for tongue weight of a trailer. And, even with a very healthy payload capacity, the limit may be the hitch rating of 1220 lbs.

It looks like a 2015 F150 with HD and Max Tow packages is really about a 1 ton pickup - but a 10,000 lb trailer will approach the limit of the hitch.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 02-01-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by mvander
I see #s for 4x4 and 4x2. There are no numbers for the shortbox trucks though.

6.5' Long bed is required to get the HD Payload pkg in a SuperCrew

8' Long bed is required to get the HD Payload pkg in a SuperCab.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:54 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

... but why are those numbers only in the column for 4x4? What is the number of 4x2 or does the heavy duty payload package require 4x4?

You're misreading the chart - probably because of scrolling down from the headings to the tow ratings.

There are tow ratings for Supercrew EcoBoost
... 4x4 with 157' wheelbase and 18" tires (11,500 pounds)
,,, 4x2 with 157" wheelbase and 17" tires (11,700 pounds)
...4x2 with 157" wheelbase and 18" tires (11,800 pounds)

If you slide up the table to the bottom of the 3.55 data...and the same eco, supercrew lists 11,900 in either 4x2 or 4x4. So the heavy duty payload package gives you stiffer springs, 3.73s, locks you into 18" wheels....and a lower towing capacity? I realize the payload package's intent is for putting campers in the bed but I'm pretty surprised by the lower number. Or am I reading this wrong?
You're talking about round-off numbers, Not important. And as KR said, the tow rating is not your limiter anyway. Payload capacity or receiver hitch capacity is probably your limiter.

FYI my intent is to pull a 28 foot race car trailer. The trailer itself is ~5k, plus the car, parts, tools, etc. I'm looking at between 10-11k.
Then you're probably going to be overloaded with the strongest F-150 you can put together. Any race trailer that grosses more than 10,000 pounds is going to overload any F-150 with a normal load of tools, people, full tank of gas and other stuff in the truck.

You need an F-250 at least, or better yet an F-350 SRW. Get the diesel engine in that truck and you'll be a happy racer.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the explanations and advice. Guess I'll have to go to the dealerships and look at some real world GVWR and payload numbers on the stickers.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for the explanations and advice. Guess I'll have to go to the dealerships and look at some real world GVWR and payload numbers on the stickers.
Yep! Good advice above. It's all about payload.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

...Guess I'll have to go to the dealerships and look at some real world GVWR and payload numbers on the stickers.

Good idea! Unfortunately you probably won't find very many HD optioned trucks on lots.

Post up what you find out - I'd like to know what typical payloads are for the 2015 models.

Quick Reply: help interpreting towing numbers