Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone ever moved a tool box?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default has anyone ever moved a tool box?

not at the moment but in the near future im going to need to move my tool box from work to hopefully a new job. i currently work for a dealership as a Lube tech i like what i do but not what i work on. i work on dodges sadly. anyways i been here one year and job is getting worse so i plan on finding another job real soon. my tool box is not that big its only 41" wide 46" tall and 22" deep not real big. i normally would just love to throw this in the back of my truck but its 300 LBS empty plus tools and this box is too nice and expensive to have exposed to elements. so my question whats the best way to haul it rent a moving van, rent a trailer or just F**k it and load it in the back of the truck. also a pic of the box
Old 06-24-2013, 01:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some guys hire a flatbed wrecker to move them.

I know that our local tool trucks (Snap-On,MacTools) will also haul them to the new location.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drawers should come out.

The drawers should be able to be removed. There is usually some type of locking/drawer stop on the drawer slides. If you can reomve the drawers, the a couple of guys can manhandle it into your truck. Reinstall the drawers and tie it down, move it on a nice day if possible. If you have to, you could wrap it in a tarp for bad weather.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

I have a big Snap-on box. In the past I've used my Snap-on dealer (prefered method), a friend with a Tommy lift tail gate, a forklift onto a trailer (make sure the trailer floor can handle it), and I've had too unload and remove the drawers then reload then unload and remove at final destination and reload (PITA). I recently had to move an older Craftsman box full of tools. I had some boards for ramps and used a come-along to pull it up in the bed.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:43 PM

so upon some research the stainless top on this box flys off if pulled with an open trailer so i guess my only option would be to ask my matco guy or rent a trailer form uhaul or something.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM

i actually never have pulled a trailer with this truck wondering if the electrical works?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can use the rack arm under the box then back the truck under it. cover the box with a old heavy blanket, and put a scrap tire between it and the bed then strap it down. I've done this before. you'll just need a coworker or two hold the box stable on the rack.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 AM

alright its official got a new job. more pay, actually full time no more 29 hour BS and union shop. have a trailer rented for saturday to pick up my tool box.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

WAAAAAY cool for you!!!
Congrats buddy!
Wish you the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: has anyone ever moved a tool box?