Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GVWR Question- Payload

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GVWR Question- Payload

I have read many of these threads about Payload and Towing. Here is my simple question: How do they (Ford) figure GVWR?

I have looked at my door sticker that says I have a 7200# GVWR and a 1464# Payload. If you also look at your front and rear axels GAWR they don't add up to 7200# or at least mine do not.

I have a 2010 SCAB 4x4 5.4 V8 6.5 bed. Below are the specs:
GVWR 7200#
Payload 1464#
Front GAWR 3900
Rear GAWR 3850

If you add the front and rear axels together that equals 7750# which means the truck should have a GVWR of 7750#. Someone please explain the fuzy math here that Ford is using. I looked at a friend of mines Dodge van and if you add the axel weights up on it they match the GVWR. Does any of this make sense?
Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ragerjr
I have read many of these threads about Payload and Towing. Here is my simple question: How do they (Ford) figure GVWR?

You truck has numerous components that affect GVWR. Springs, shocks, frame, tires, wheels, axles, etc. Even brakes. The GVWR cannot be more than the brakes can stop in a reasonable distance without fading. All those various components have weight ratings. The GVWR is the weight rating of the component with the lowest weight rating.

I have looked at my door sticker that says I have a 7200# GVWR and a 1464# Payload. If you also look at your front and rear axels GAWR they don't add up to 7200# or at least mine do not.
GAWRs are not additive. On pickups, the combined GAWRs almost always exceed the GVWR of the truck. That could be caused by either frame or brakes, which are not part of GAWR.

If you add the front and rear axels together that equals 7750# which means the truck should have a GVWR of 7750#. Someone please explain the fuzy math here that Ford is using. I looked at a friend of mines Dodge van and if you add the axel weights up on it they match the GVWR. Does any of this make sense?
If you add the tire weight capacities, you will have even more difference between tire weight capacity and GVWR. My combined tire weight capacity is 9084, and my GVWR is 7,100. So does that make my GVWR 9,084? Of course not, just like your combined GAWR of 7,750 does not make your GVWR 7,750.

Chassis engineering is a complicated job. It's difficult to come up with the correct numbers, but Ford's chassis engineers do a good job. Rely on the GVWR of your truck as being accurate. After you get your PE in chassis engineering, then come back here and explain to all of us how to determine the GVWR of a pickup.
The following users liked this post:
ragerjr (11-12-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

smokeywren-Thank you for clarifying that information, everything you said makes sense.

I was thinking about it a little more afterreading your post and that extra 550# might also be the safety margin inthere. Making the assumption that Fordbuilds one in because they more than likely know most people are not going tolook at those numbers or pay attention to them. You yourself have stated that you have gone over payload which in turnmeans you where over the GVWR of your truck. I also know that I have gone over it by how much I don’t know because Ihave never have crossed a scale with mine. But this would/ does make sense to a degree.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Ford's GVWR numbers are a sham. A 13 XLT 5.0 has a 7350 GVWR while the EB has a 7200. Same truck, same equipment. Neither had the off road package. At most the EB weighs 50# more than the 5.0.

My Silverado 1500 has a 3950/3950 front and rear axle rating with a 7000 GVWR while my F150 has 3750/3850 ratings with a 7200 GVWR. So somethings screwy about how they rate GVWR.

Based on my reading, the GVWR is set by the manufacturer based on the weakest link. Still something doesn't add up with Ford's number differences with the F150.

Last edited by Wannafbody; 11-12-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wannafbody
Ford's GVWR numbers are a sham. A 13 XLT 5.0 has a 7350 GVWR while the EB has a 7200. Same truck, same equipment. Neither had the off road package. At most the EB weighs 50# more than the 5.0. My Silverado 1500 has a 3950/3950 front and rear axle rating with a 7000 GVWR while my F150 has 3750/3850 ratings with a 7200 GVWR. So somethings screwy about how they rate GVWR. Based on my reading, the GVWR is set by the manufacturer based on the weakest link. Still something doesn't add up with Ford's number differences with the F150.
Makes sense. So if the GVWR is based on the weakest link, the burning question is, what is it?
Old 11-14-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by stormrider151
Makes sense. So if the GVWR is based on the weakest link, the burning question is, what is it?
It's either a safety margin or a cushion to make sure that a vehicle is able to make 150K before a major component failure. Or the stock brake pads might not be able to withstand repeated heavy braking without fading. Upgrading front pads would be a good idea for towing or hauling heavy.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:38 PM

Well, When I bought my truck I saw 11200# towing capacity. I thought at the time I would be able to get the TT I wanted and safely tow it anywhere I wanted to. Now after reading about all the math and limitations of my truck I have come to the conclusion it"s nothing more that a "really" nice grocery getter. The new 30" TT sitting in the yard will be used as a guest house until I can get rid of it in the spring. I'll probably go with a motor home this time. It is truly disappointing because we really like the trailer but the family's safety come s first.
The following users liked this post:
Simnut (07-28-2017)
Old 11-14-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stormrider151
Well, When I bought my truck I saw 11200# towing capacity. I thought at the time I would be able to get the TT I wanted and safely tow it anywhere I wanted to. Now after reading about all the math and limitations of my truck I have come to the conclusion it"s nothing more that a "really" nice grocery getter. The new 30" TT sitting in the yard will be used as a guest house until I can get rid of it in the spring. I'll probably go with a motor home this time. It is truly disappointing because we really like the trailer but the family's safety come s first.
It's unfortunate that you are going to sell your TT. Maybe when you bought your truck the salesman did you a dis-service by not taking into account your towing requirements. Or you did not do your homework about what options (Max Tow & HD Payload) you needed to tow safely. Your truck will tow that TT like a champ but you will be over on the payload capacity.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Smokeywren is very correct in what he is saying here but these things are factors not formula and to be true there is no real formula. Chev, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan and FORD all calculate capacities using numbers gathered from all the very same places mentioned by Smodeywren but they apply them differently. This means that there is no standard and without standards you cannot compare. I honestly believe that FORD doesn't even use the same standards when comparing their own trucks and that is what Wannafbody is driving at.

FORD has been pushing the eco boost engine as well as the 3.73 diffy and in order to sell more of these products and they have, in my mind, either skewed, bent or out right lied about their own product in order to sell 1 over the other.

FORD's numbers do not add up, not from year to year and not from truck to truck.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cover Dog
It's unfortunate that you are going to sell your TT. Maybe when you bought your truck the salesman did you a dis-service by not taking into account your towing requirements. Or you did not do your homework about what options (Max Tow & HD Payload) you needed to tow safely. Your truck will tow that TT like a champ but you will be over on the payload capacity.

I cant blame it on the dealer. I told him what I wanted and he bent over backwards to get it. this is my bad. At the time I had a Hybrid. It was well under the weight values. They tend to leak water as mine did so I got rid of it before it became damaged. I've been towing trailers since I was 15. Everything from a Wave runner to a Tiller Ladder. Never thought about tongue weight or payload or G anything for that matter. Never had an issue. Why I don't know because there were times I had to be grossly over loaded. Only problem I ever had was a blown tire. But now after my education on this forum and others I really don't like the idea of the risk involved.

Quick Reply: GVWR Question- Payload