Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GVWR GAWR and the like

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GVWR GAWR and the like

Curious on the F150s what makes the difference between the trucks in GAWR and GVWR ? Are the axles all different between the trucks? Is it merely the suspension? I know you cannot change GVWR or GAWR by adding this or that. Now with that said does adding airbags and such give the same effect as having a heavier payload package?

In my case I have a GVWR of 7350 I cant recall the rear GAWR offhand. I did just add airbags to help out. Is my higher axle ratio of 3.31 not up to higher weight?

As things stand for me I'm likely to go just over or be danged close to my GAWR when towing my TT. This has me wondering exactly what is the difference in ratings?

Yeah I'd buy an HD package if I had it to do over.

Last edited by mark1969; 04-26-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Several factors come into play when the manufacturer determines a vehicles GVWR and GAWR. The differences you see amoug what appear to be alike F-150's is mainly due to options. The more options the lower the GVWR. You are correct that adding airbags, springs, etc. does not change the trucks GVWR. The additions will merely help the truck handle the weight a little better. The axle ratio does not effect the GVWR. The axle ratio is the number of turns the drive shaft makes to complete one rotation of the tire. The main difference in the HD payload package is "beefier" rear springs, and larger gear box. If you really want to know if your over your GVWR when towing, you need to go to a scale with your trailer hooked up, with any other gear your likely to bring along. Hope I answered a few of your questions.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ford15012
Several factors come into play when the manufacturer determines a vehicles GVWR and GAWR. The differences you see amoug what appear to be alike F-150's is mainly due to options. The more options the lower the GVWR. You are correct that adding airbags, springs, etc. does not change the trucks GVWR. The additions will merely help the truck handle the weight a little better. The axle ratio does not effect the GVWR. The axle ratio is the number of turns the drive shaft makes to complete one rotation of the tire. The main difference in the HD payload package is "beefier" rear springs, and larger gear box. If you really want to know if your over your GVWR when towing, you need to go to a scale with your trailer hooked up, with any other gear your likely to bring along. Hope I answered a few of your questions.
On the axle ratio I am just wondering if the ring gear or pinion would be weaker due to its size and more likely to break or be damaged.

On the scales I'm bumping up against GAWR but just under GVWR.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Options don't necessarily change the GVWR. Body styles and engines may. But options like the sunroof just increase the curb weight, and so reduce the payload.

RegCab and SCab HD Payloads also have beefier frames. And both front and rear springs are heavier duty. As are the wheels, tires and shocks. It's a complete upgrade.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by mark1969
On the scales I'm bumping up against GAWR but just under GVWR.
I'm in the same situation. But with the LT tires, stiffened suspension and Equl-I-Zer WDH, the truck tows very well. I don't have any problem towing right at the truck's weight limits (after the suspension stiffening).

Actually, one problem is that this is a 4x2, and I have to be more careful with the heavy trailer on soft ground. Our next truck could well be a 4x4 with HD Payload. The HD Payload does all the suspension/tire mods more cheaply than I could do aftermarket, and all the other stuff as well.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually in some circumstances axle ratio does affect GVWR. The 2.7L EB Payload package includes the 3.73 gears. You cant get a heavy-duty payload package with low numerical gears. Need the multiplication for launch among other things. So if the truck has a higher GVWR indirectly with the same motor it needs higher numerical axles to get moving.

Last edited by A7B2FX4; 04-26-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: GVWR GAWR and the like