Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to the Pomona RV show this weekend - what do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

Default going to the Pomona RV show this weekend - what do I need to know?

We won't be buying, just window shopping.

I know my weight numbers. I think I got a good handle on that.

More interested on what amenities and features I might want to consider.

Wife and I and maybe the two adult children and 4 yo grandchild. No gas powered toys, not our thing.

We will likely keep to mostly established campgrounds such as national parks and forests. Hopefully some unimproved camping as well.

I already know that a 21 ft w/o slides is too small.

Do I care about smooth fiberglass sides versus corrugated aluminum?
Do I care how much aluminum is used?
Do I care about the brake set-up?
I presume my portable twin EU2000i's might be large enough to run AC?

What else do I need to be a good consumer?
Old 10-08-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

My wife and I just bought a RV after 2 months of looking. We choose a keystone Cougar half ton because mainly we liked it. The location of the wall separating the "bed room" from the rest of living area was a huge selling point for us. Bunk beds were another. Keystone has a adjustable suspension and rubber center isolator for smoother ride. Screwed together cabinetry was also a selling point to us, you find a lot of glue and staples in other models.

Knowing your weights is huge because my wife fell in love with a trailer that we could not get because of its weight. Tounge weight is huge as it effects payload capacity and GVWR. My water tank is at the front so when full its not as stable as empty. its also 450 pounds more weight I'm pulling.

I choose smooth fiberglass because it does not have irregular seams and because of aluminum framing. Its a lighter design. Same floor pan and features was 800# heavier. Looks better and stronger.

They have been making wood TT for years so its hard to argue that is bad. You will find a lot of aluminum side frames with wood truss roof.

You may be maxed out on the AC start up with the 2 2000i generators. The peak load at start with a small gen set will not be good long term for your generators and your AC. I believe they are only rated for 1600 watts continuous use.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Regardless of how good the weight numbers look on the truck/rv stickers and on any paperwork be sure to do a thorough test tow of anything your considering before committing/signing to purchase.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:39 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

I love the RV shows. We have one of the largest on the East Coast just a few hours away in Hershey PA and go every year. Local campgrounds in a 50mi vicinity book up over a year in advance to give you an example of how big this show is. Love to go and window shop as well - if anything to keep current on latest features and amenities that are must haves for our next trailer.

A few points to consider:
  1. This is your chance to explore the insides and out of many popular units ranging the spectrum of the RV industry. Depending on the size of the show and amount of time at your disposal, you’ll need to target trailer types that fit your interest in order to get the most out of your time there. So within your towing (payload) rating, proper number of beds, etc, etc.
  2. The dealers are there to move inventory, as soon as they discover you’re not ready to buy that weekend (or the following week), you will no longer get any attention.
  3. National parks are often limited in accommodations and ability to fit larger trailers. The smaller the unit the more sites that are available to you. Consider some of the rear-slide units for situations like this (example: Outback 210/250)
  4. Aluminum wall/ceiling framing and fiberglass or composite walls are going to be your lightest construction but also more expensive then the traditional wood & corrugated siding. Some of those aluminum siding ones are way too heavy due that style of construction.
  5. Your EU2000 will not be enough to run a 13k or 15k btu air-conditioner. I have an EU3000 and it wouldn’t start my 15k AC until I installed a “hard-start” capacitor. You may be able to get another 2000 and run them parallel.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-09-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntrk
[*]Your EU2000 will not be enough to run a 13k or 15k btu air-conditioner. I have an EU3000 and it wouldn’t start my 15k AC until I installed a “hard-start” capacitor. You may be able to get another 2000 and run them parallel.[/list]

Hope this helps!
I had no problem starting - running two different 13k ac units with twin 2000 yamaha generators or do others......? He said he had "twin" 2000's.

Last edited by Loki 5.0; 10-09-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Loki 5.0
I had no problem starting - running two different 13k ac units with twin 2000 yamaha generators or do others......? He said he had "twin" 2000's.
Ahhh, I missed the twin part of his statement. Thought he had a single 2000 unit and wasn't setup with parallel operation. In that case OP has 4000w of power which is plenty for either size AC (and microwave).
Old 10-09-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_Larsen
Knowing your weights is huge because my wife fell in love with a trailer that we could not get because of its weight. Tongue weight is huge as it effects payload capacity and GVWR.
Payload. Payload, payload, payload. Payload.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:27 PM

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks so far for the comments. I'm reading, though I don't have any additional questions right now.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Ahhh, I missed the twin part of his statement. Thought he had a single 2000 unit and wasn't setup with parallel operation. In that case OP has 4000w of power which is plenty for either size AC (and microwave).
4000 peak 3200 continues with the Honda 2000i. Fuel consumption at heavy load also is something to consider. Rated fuel use is at 1/4 load so a hot day with AC may require frequent refueling.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i
Old 10-09-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

I love the RV shows. We have one of the largest on the East Coast just a few hours away in Hershey PA and go every year. Local campgrounds in a 50mi vicinity book up over a year in advance to give you an example of how big this show is. Love to go and window shop as well - if anything to keep current on latest features and amenities that are must haves for our next trailer.

A few points to consider:
  1. This is your chance to explore the insides and out of many popular units ranging the spectrum of the RV industry. Depending on the size of the show and amount of time at your disposal, you’ll need to target trailer types that fit your interest in order to get the most out of your time there. So within your towing (payload) rating, proper number of beds, etc, etc.
  2. The dealers are there to move inventory, as soon as they discover you’re not ready to buy that weekend (or the following week), you will no longer get any attention.
  3. National parks are often limited in accommodations and ability to fit larger trailers. The smaller the unit the more sites that are available to you. Consider some of the rear-slide units for situations like this (example: Outback 210/250)
  4. Aluminum wall/ceiling framing and fiberglass or composite walls are going to be your lightest construction but also more expensive then the traditional wood & corrugated siding. Some of those aluminum siding ones are way too heavy due that style of construction.
  5. Your EU2000 will not be enough to run a 13k or 15k btu air-conditioner. I have an EU3000 and it wouldn’t start my 15k AC until I installed a “hard-start” capacitor. You may be able to get another 2000 and run them parallel.

Hope this helps!
What is this "hard-start" capacitor you speak of and where does it go? I have the same generator, but have never run the AC on our camper with it yet. We may next year. I just don't want to get caught with an issue.

Quick Reply: going to the Pomona RV show this weekend - what do I need to know?