Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen 11 (2015-16) F150 with an Open Range 5th wheel. Whos got this setup.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Received 187 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Gen 11 (2015-16) F150 with an Open Range 5th wheel. Whos got this setup.

Just curious on how the new F150 handles with this setup.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Need more specs on the 5'er.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

The Open Range 5er's that I have seen seem to have pin weights that are out of the league of most F150's. You need to find a 5er with a pin weight down around 1,000 to 1,100 pounds. And you need a payload rating of 2,000 pounds or more.

I'm towing a Surveyor 5er with a pin weight of 1,050. My payload is 1,820. I'm fine with this setup until the crosswinds hit 20 mph or more. Then I can feel the trailer wag a bit and you feel "roll" because of side pressure on the pin.

I've installed a Hellwig Rear Anti-Roll bar to help with this issue. Haven't towed with it yet to see how much help I get; but it will help.

It takes the right truck specs and the right 5er to make any of this work. And you will be right up against your limits even if you do it right. Given that you have a '15/'16 truck, you probably don't have the HD payload package. And given that you have a Lariat, I'm betting that your payload is no more than 1,500. Probably not doable.

We just did a 5,500 mile loop with our rig. We even went over Vail pass and through the Eisenhower tunnel. It can be done. But you exercise care and caution.

I'd have to say that most 1/2 ton/5 er combinations that I have seen are significantly overloaded. To be fair, I think that a lot of the 3/4 ton rigs I have seen are also overloaded. The tendency is to then go for a bigger 5er that puts them up and over the limits as well.

So, be careful. Choose wisely. Be safe. Have fun.

Last edited by acadianbob; 05-16-2016 at 10:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Velosprout (05-20-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by fx2tom
Need more specs on the 5'er.
Thanks for the reply but I wasn't asking for you to tell me what I should or shouldn't do mor of how does your rig hall an open range light. However since I'm not getting many comments I'll give some info and watch the thread spin out of control see below
Originally Posted by acadianbob
The Open Range 5er's that I have seen seem to have pin weights that are out of the league of most F150's. You need to find a 5er with a pin weight down around 1,000 to 1,100 pounds. And you need a payload rating of 2,000 pounds or more. I'm towing a Surveyor 5er with a pin weight of 1,050. My payload is 1,820. I'm fine with this setup until the crosswinds hit 20 mph or more. Then I can feel the trailer wag a bit and you feel "roll" because of side pressure on the pin. I've installed a Hellwig Rear Anti-Roll bar to help with this issue. Haven't towed with it yet to see how much help I get; but it will help. It takes the right truck specs and the right 5er to make any of this work. And you will be right up against your limits even if you do it right. Given that you have a '15/'16 truck, you probably don't have the HD payload package. And given that you have a Lariat, I'm betting that your payload is no more than 1,500. Probably not doable. We just did a 5,500 mile loop with our rig. We even went over Vail pass and through the Eisenhower tunnel. It can be done. But you exercise care and caution. I'd have to say that most 1/2 ton/5 er combinations that I have seen are significantly overloaded. To be fair, I think that a lot of the 3/4 ton rigs I have seen are also overloaded. The tendency is to then go for a bigger 5er that puts them up and over the limits as well. So, be careful. Choose wisely. Be safe. Have fun.
Bob thanks for your reply. You weren't far off the payload actually 1650 lbs. without the tonneau cover I have 19 lbs of accessories. The setup I'm looking at is a B&W turnover ball with offset ball 90-92 lbs. The Andersen ultimate aluminum hitch 32lbs. All toll 143 lbs. The UVW is 8870lbs and a pin wt is 1240lbs (12.98%) and a fully loaded (fresh, grey and black water propane food clothing tools etc can't exceed Max combined wt of 10995lbs or 2125 lbs so a 15% hitch wt of my max payload ((1649.25) which I know is already to heavy. However. My wax payload in the trailer is 500-700lbs including the F150 spare tire from my rig ( so my new payload should be around 1720). After all the math and distribution of payload I figure I'm over by 300 lbs in the cab so if I tweak some things I'll be as you accurately stated exercising care and caution.
This is you I want to hear from other fellow F150 2015-16 owners of similar setup. Of note and not Necessarily right. on the Open Range forum there are lots and lots of overloaded Chevy GM and Dodge trucks doing what I'm asking about. ( over payload by 300-400 lbs but well within the axel wt ratings and GCWR of 16900. I have lots of towing experience of all sorts of setups ( thanks dad ) and feel quite safe / comfortable in most situations and know the limits of my rig and trailer however this is a newly designed rig and a 5er that is new to me as well. Again this is why I'm looking for Imput not prosecutors that I know just won't be able to resist.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So you know you will be overloaded and you still wanna get the trailer?
You could ask KScountryboy, he tows a 2016 light open range fifth. Oh wait he is towing it with a f350. Never mind

Hmmm ok, well the truck will pull it. In wind you will be all over the road and a danger to other drivers. And stopping the heavy trailer will take a lot longer. But you should know all this already.

I've towed an overloaded gooseneck flat deck with bales on it and it was horrible. Only over my payload by 350lbs but over pull by 2000lbs, and only 25km on gravel back roads to get to the cows.

So I'm not sure what your point is with this post. Yes you can pull it, barely under control in wind and downhills. But everyone will know your truck is overloaded and think you're an idiot for endangering others on the road. Except the other idiots that are doing the same thing and are convinced they are within safe weight because they haven't had a problem or accident.

Happy and safe towing, I'm sure you will make the right decision.

Sry for rant I know you didn't want to hear the prosecutors or the truth but have already been to two wreck this year where the trailers were way too heavy for the trucks towing them. One was a fatality, caused by rollover from being sideswiped by a overloaded wagging trailer.

Last edited by g0rilla; 05-18-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I tow a Grand Design Reflection 29rs with a pin weight of around 1600 lbs. I have a B&W Patriot manual slider. My Roadmaster Active Suspension makes it sit within 1/2" of level (though I will be going to airbags). Before I added LT tires it swayed all over the place, now it's good.
Truck is also tuned for more power and will get a Wagner CAC as soon as it's available. I do wish I had the 3.73 gear set that my '13 ecoboost had but other than that no issues.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by g0rilla
So you know you will be overloaded and you still wanna get the trailer? You could ask KScountryboy, he tows a 2016 light open range fifth. Oh wait he is towing it with a f350. Never mind Hmmm ok, well the truck will pull it. In wind you will be all over the road and a danger to other drivers. And stopping the heavy trailer will take a lot longer. But you should know all this already. I've towed an overloaded gooseneck flat deck with bales on it and it was horrible. Only over my payload by 350lbs but over pull by 2000lbs, and only 25km on gravel back roads to get to the cows. So I'm not sure what your point is with this post. Yes you can pull it, barely under control in wind and downhills. But everyone will know your truck is overloaded and think you're an idiot for endangering others on the road. Except the other idiots that are doing the same thing and are convinced they are within safe weight because they haven't had a problem or accident. Happy and safe towing, I'm sure you will make the right decision. Sry for rant I know you didn't want to hear the prosecutors or the truth but have already been to two wreck this year where the trailers were way too heavy for the trucks towing them. One was a fatality, caused by rollover from being sideswiped by a overloaded wagging trailer.
thanks for some useful information that has nothing to do with my post perhaps other then when you to where being an idiot by being on the road while being both overloaded in both payload and GVWR. Some how because your traveling on a dirt road and getting cows you can control what others do. I'm assuming you did some sort of risk assessment well done. Glad you didn't kill anyone. I didn't say I was buying anything I was looking at a fiver that I figured thru my own risk assessment I would be safe. Also Y my post wanted to hear from other mbrs that do this. Their out there perhaps not on this forum. Ranting complete?.?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I tow a Grand Design Reflection 29rs with a pin weight of around 1600 lbs. I have a B&W Patriot manual slider. My Roadmaster Active Suspension makes it sit within 1/2" of level (though I will be going to airbags). Before I added LT tires it swayed all over the place, now it's good. Truck is also tuned for more power and will get a Wagner CAC as soon as it's available. I do wish I had the 3.73 gear set that my '13 ecoboost had but other than that no issues.
thanks for the info I have LT tires as a requested opinion. If I proceed I will also be installing a Air Lift system. I'm doing everything I can to keep wt down including removing the rear hitch. My next step will be a 3.55 to 4.10 swop out. For the same price I'd skip the 3.73. Q for you....as the previous poster stated you too are an idiot ( squatting and all over the road ) or do you have an XLT with ++ payload then me. Sorry can't remember your rig. Though I did see a pic though. Thankx Also is you pin Wt less then 15%.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Mine is a fully loaded lariat with payload of 1550 lbs. I had the Airlift Ride Rite bags with the internal jounce bumper but took them off. They are designed bad and the truck bounces like a pogo stick off of them when empty. I then got the RAS. It works but not as good as the airbags. I now see that they make brackets for my fifth wheel hitch where I can use Firestone airbags. I had them on four previous trucks and they worked great so will probably but them on this one. I haven't weighed the RV but specs say 8515 lbs empty and pin weight of 1498 lbs. I am not one of those guys that are tied to the numbers. For one all vehicles have a margin of safety built in. Two I have been towing since '79 with many Ford's. I had several gutless 302's, a good 351 V-8 and several ecoboosts. None ever failed or gave me trouble. I tow cattle, hay, farm equipment, two RZR's and my RV.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:53 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
Mine is a fully loaded lariat with payload of 1550 lbs. I had the Airlift Ride Rite bags with the internal jounce bumper but took them off. They are designed bad and the truck bounces like a pogo stick off of them when empty. I then got the RAS. It works but not as good as the airbags. I now see that they make brackets for my fifth wheel hitch where I can use Firestone airbags. I had them on four previous trucks and they worked great so will probably but them on this one. I haven't weighed the RV but specs say 8515 lbs empty and pin weight of 1498 lbs. I am not one of those guys that are tied to the numbers. For one all vehicles have a margin of safety built in. Two I have been towing since '79 with many Ford's. I had several gutless 302's, a good 351 V-8 and several ecoboosts. None ever failed or gave me trouble. I tow cattle, hay, farm equipment, two RZR's and my RV.
I'm of the same mindset. Been towing since 13yo. My father grew up on a farm and was a truck driver for 30 years. I to have towed all sorts but was curious on the new rig. Your setup certainly gives me an advantage as I don't have to make the same mistakes WRT air bags for example. Thankx again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gen 11 (2015-16) F150 with an Open Range 5th wheel. Whos got this setup.