Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI on being over weight.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

Default FYI on being over weight.

I drive a truck on the weekdays. Last week the Pennsylvania State DOT officers were radomly pulling over commercial trucks a like always right after the toll both at the bridge. But I noticed they were also pulling over a few pickups with regular travel trailer also. When I asked why, they said Pennsylvania state laws also include "large recreational " vehicles too. They were weighing them and warning them and letting them go if they were over weight (once your in the DOT system, your plate number stays there forever. Next time it's no warning!).
My question is, what would you do when they say drop it and leave it here till a appropriate truck arrives or when you realize the ticket is several thousand for let's say 1000 lbs over.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

I've seen NM DOT do this a few times. If it happened to me within 200 miles of my house, no big deal. Most my friends have 3/4 or 1 ton trucks anyway. The fine would suck still though. Out of state would be another issue. I suppose I could wait for a friend, trade the trailer, or trade the truck. Either will cost some big bucks.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

if your weight is close then dumping freshwater and groceries, and move stuff around until you are good.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We were stopped in BC with our 3/4 ton and original trailer. I was 500# over gross and it was all in the trailer, they allowed us to move the extra weight to my wife's van and luckily no ticket.
In BC they will make you park it and get a bigger truck or a tow truck.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

So do they just weigh the trailer axle and determine if you are overweight based on the trailer capacity, or do they weigh all 3 axles and base it on GCWR? Do they actually determine tow vehicle axle loadings, too?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

The one in Pennsylvania they weighed all the axels for the total combined weight.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Being the son of a professional trucker - this is an issue which the pros take VERY seriously but the rest of us do not. In fact there are many times when guys actually brag about the fact that they run overloaded.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticGabe
So do they just weigh the trailer axle and determine if you are overweight based on the trailer capacity, or do they weigh all 3 axles and base it on GCWR? Do they actually determine tow vehicle axle loadings, too?
In BC if they run you over a scale they weigh each axle and get the total, if they set up portable scales they weigh one axle at a time and check the door tags and trailer tag
Old 05-27-2013, 12:24 AM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffinthebag
I drive a truck on the weekdays. Last week the Pennsylvania State DOT officers were radomly pulling over commercial trucks a like always right after the toll both at the bridge. But I noticed they were also pulling over a few pickups with regular travel trailer also. When I asked why, they said Pennsylvania state laws also include "large recreational " vehicles too. They were weighing them and warning them and letting them go if they were over weight (once your in the DOT system, your plate number stays there forever. Next time it's no warning!).
My question is, what would you do when they say drop it and leave it here till a appropriate truck arrives or when you realize the ticket is several thousand for let's say 1000 lbs over.
I think the fine in Ontario is $1 per pound and they ALWAYS give you the ticket.

I was told they have mobile weight stations that they carry with them. There was a guy that stopped at a gas station or grocery store and when he got back they weighed the truck and trailer and where waiting for him with the ticket.

Generally they won't pull you over unless they see your vehicle heavily sagging.

It's kind of irritating that my f150 can comfortably take 2200-2500 pounds properly distributed yet its only legally rated for 1750.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

This is why I appreciate Sask being largely agricultural/ backwoods.

Quick Reply: FYI on being over weight.