Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated with Cipa Custom tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 AM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Default Frustrated with **** Custom tow mirrors

I've had them for about a year and a half and really like their functionality while maintaining my smaller original mirrors with self dimming.

But they are scratching the hell out of my original mirrors when sliding them off. I wash my original mirrors and the **** mirrors inside and out to eliminate scratches but always got hair line scratches. Now this time they put some pretty long and deep scratches in them. NOT HAPPY. Think I'm going to get the factory tow mirrors (none power folding) with chrome caps to match my chrome package.

Didn't want to go that route but I just don't really like other mirror options and don't want to have crappy looking mirrors. Plus I don't want to continue to damage them since I can probably make the scratches less apparent with some repairs and maybe sell them down the road.

Thank god they are just black plastic and not painted mirrors, I'd really be pissed.

Just a warning for those thinking of getting the **** Custom Tow Mirrors (slip on).

Last edited by Mike Up; 08-14-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out these I love mine and they work and look great. K-Source Custom Towing Mirrors - Snap On - Ford F-150
Old 08-14-2014, 09:30 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I put the 1aauto tow mirrors on my 2010, and I love them, no vibration, lots of usable mirror.....
Old 08-14-2014, 09:45 PM

Thanks but if I spend any more money, it most likely is going to be on the Ford OEM Tow mirrors.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
Thanks but if I spend any more money, it most likely is going to be on the Ford OEM Tow mirrors.
I'm sure the OEM ones are nicer, but I'm not sure they are worth the price difference. I have been very happy with my mirrors from 1aauto.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Melbeachmoose20
I'm sure the OEM ones are nicer, but I'm not sure they are worth the price difference. I have been very happy with my mirrors from 1aauto.
They look identical to the oem mirrors from the pics. They are about $50 cheaper but hard to see the quality from a website. They do have a much better warranty than the Ford OEM mirrors though.

Do they come with installation directions as I haven't found any on the internet?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:25 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
Do they come with installation directions as I haven't found any on the internet?

Instructions not required. The description states dealer install only, but it's a simple R&R after you find the screw that's hidden in the armrest door pull. Remove that screw and the other screws that hold on the door panel, then move the door panel out of the way enough you can get to the three nuts that hold on the mirror. The wiring is plug-n-play.

Order the pair of tow mirrors from the accessories catalog. Here's the ones with chrome cap and memory as well as heated glass, turn signal lights, puddle lamps, etc.
http://accessories.ford.com/kit-rear...ror-10320.html
Old 08-15-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I am also happy with my tow mirrors from 1a

Waaaayyyyyy cheaper than Ford OEM and no issues to speak of. Plug and play and easy to change over.
The following users liked this post:
1Aauto (08-18-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 10:51 AM
tll

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I applied two strips of very thin sticky back felt to mine where they rub on the mirrors most. Has greatly reduced the scratching.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:56 AM

Trying to get my dealer to come down on price on the Ford mirrors. If not, I may buy from another Ford parts dealer or maybe the 1a.

But the 1a mirrors do look like Chinese knock offs which bothers me a bit. If they were their own design, that would be different, but they look like knock offs. This leads me to fear inferior wiring practices and possible shorts as well as damage to the truck's own wiring. For a savings of only $50, it doesn't seem worth it.

Found this about the 1aauto mirrors:

Originally Posted by Rich D
Ford OEM is the only way to go. You'll pay more but... if you buy off Ebay and it's not OEM Ford most of the stuff is cheap Chinese knock off and it'll not built great, it'll vibrate goin down the road and the mirror section is plastic, not glass. Chinese stuff does look as good, the quality is not there.
I bought a set of them from 1aauto and sent them back after making one drive on the hwy.

Last edited by Mike Up; 08-17-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Frustrated with Cipa Custom tow mirrors