Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

Default Ford brake controller

Here is a quick stupid question. I bought a XLT super crew with the 5 liter yesterday. It has the heavy duty payload package. It DID NOT have factory installed brake controller. The dealer had one in stock and installed if before I took delivery. My question is, how do I know it is integrated into the system? I don't have trailer now but I'm looking to get one in the next few years.
Is there a way through the dashboard computer to make sure the computer recognizes the brake controller without actually hooking a trailer on? Just want to make sure they did it right.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

You need a trailer to test it BUT since the wireing is a plug and play the only thing the dealer had to do was flash the computer to recognize the controler. If in doubt go to a trailer dealer and ask if you can plug into one for a minute Note if it has the max tow package it should allready have the controler, tow mirors and a 3.73 gear. if not then you have the standard tow package or no tow package the HD package refers to GVWR not CVWR

Last edited by bubbabud; 03-10-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 AM

The max tow is only for the ecoboast engine I thought. The heavy duty payload package does standard with the tow package, 3.73 heavier rear end and gear set than the max tow. Just the controller is the option on that package.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

If you scroll through the info screen, there will be a screen for the brake controller/trailer. That screen will not have the brake controller info if you do not have the integrated brake controller activated.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:59 PM
0.9% is for suckers!

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts

Just pinch the controller handles/tabs/ whatever they are together. The info screen will flash "no trailer connected". That would be enough for me
Old 03-10-2013, 05:45 PM

I guess I have to go back to the dealer. No screen that says brake controller and pinching the two together doesn't show up trailer disconect.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Cool New Guy

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I understand the they need to reflash the computer after installing the brake controller to turn on the feature. Apparently the dealer didn't know that.

The max tow is only for the ecoboast engine I thought. The heavy duty payload package does standard with the tow package, 3.73 heavier rear end and gear set than the max tow. Just the controller is the option on that package.
How do you know you the heavy duty payload package? This is not standard with the tow package. I think you are getting some things confused. The heavy duty payload package is similar to back several years ago when they offered a "7700" package, which referred to a 7700 GVWR. This also even includes 7 lug wheels as they did back then as well. As far as I know, if you have 6 lug wheels, you DO NOT have the heavy duty payload package. I remember seeing this info when building one on the Ford website not long before buying my truck. The current heavy duty payload package gets you around an 8200 GVWR.

Edit: This is from the 2013 Towing Guide.

F-150 Heavy-Duty Payload

Package (Option Code 627)

Increases GVWR to 8,200 pounds.

– LT245/75R17E BSW A/T tires (5)

– High-capacity 17" 7-lug steel wheels (XL)

– High-capacity 17" 7-lug aluminum wheels

(XLT/Lariat)

– Heavy-duty shock absorbers

– Upgraded springs, radiator and auxiliary

transmission oil cooler

– 9.75" gear set with 3.73 limited slip axle

Available on XL and XLT Regular Cab and

SuperCab models with 8' box and XL,

XLT and Lariat SuperCrew with 6.5' box.

Requires 5.0L V8 or 3.5L V6 EcoBoost
gas
engine and Trailer Tow Package. Max Trailer

Tow Package also required with 3.5L V6

EcoBoost
engine.

Last edited by thecause17; 03-12-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:37 PM

Ford brake controller-image-3098561244.jpg Ford brake controller-image-2138369447.jpg n

No, I do have the heavy duty payload package. Just picked up this truck. As equipped the door stock is 2200 lbs cargo. I love the LT tires. I'm running 50 lbs air in them unloaded and is is still smoother than my nissan maxima with low profile tires.
But still, the break controller isn't active. When they installed it, I mentioned they have to reflash the computer and the head lady in the shop behind the counter said its a plug and play system. I think she was wrong. When I return for my first oil change, I will remind them of that.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Cool New Guy

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah she's wrong. The reason I asked how you knew if you had it was because of you saying it's standard with the tow package, which it is not. It's weird to me that someone would order the heavy duty payload package and not spring for the brake controller. It's only about a $300 option. Mine is a standard payload truck but I have the brake controller, which seemed pretty common on the dealer lots I visited before buying mine

Why would you run 50psi in your tires?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 PM

I checked around quite a bit. I have seen at least 10 to 15 super cab and crew cabs with the heavy duty package WITHOUT a break controller with the 5 liter. Obliviously all ecoboost heavy package have the controller. But not the 5 liter like I have. But I did see on the lots 2 of the 2 wheel drive with the 5. Liter and brake controller . All I wanted this time was a heavy duty payload package. My last few trucks were regular payload and they dragged the rear some times. Just wasn't interested in putting in air bags or helper springs. Just wanted it to be legal and never over wieght. God forbid something bad ever happened and I was over wieght. Say good bye to my house and life savings in this sue happy society we live in.

Quick Reply: Ford brake controller