Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiver Haulers - What hitch do you have

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Fiver Haulers - What hitch do you have

We are purchasing a new Fifth wheel in a couple of weeks (it is on order right now). I am looking at fifth wheel hitches and trying to decide whether I go slider or static, and if I go slider which one.

Truck: 2013 F150 Lariat SCrew, 6.5' bed, MaxTow + HD Payload.
Trailer: 2014 Palomino Puma 295BHSS

The Trailer is designed to be towed by short bed trucks; it has the undercut front cap and extended Kingpin. For pics see here: http://www.palominorv.com/Puma/Default.aspx?RVType=FW

1. I guess first question is do we need a slider for this truck. My only concern on the slider is the extra weight. We will be close to our payload max (2424lbs) the way the truck sits if we go with a slider, but I don't want to worry about the trailer smacking the back of the cab either. I have never taken my Travel trailer anywhere close to 90 degrees, but I have exceeded 45 degrees (maybe upwards of 60 degrees in one case) in a few extreme cases. I know the other option is the sidewinder kingpin, and I may look a little more into that, see question 3.

2. If we go slider, does anyone have any experience with the Pullrite Superglide, Reese Pro and/or Select series? The Superglide is an auto slider and generally gets great reviews. However, I am not sure if it is worth the increased weight/cost, as I can't tell how often I will need the slider capability. The Superglide also has a few limitations (height adjustment, angled unhitch/rehitch limited to 10 degrees, "capture plate" requirement) that have me thinking. The end of the day difference in cost compared to the Reese Pro Series is about $400.00.

3. Sidewinder users: What are your thoughts? Can you get a 90 degree turn with the hitch? Is it worth the extra cost to go to the sidewinder kingpin? It is a substantial investment, costing a extra ~$750 by going this option with a static fifth wheel hitch, at least compared to the Superglide 15K I am looking at.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If I ever move up to a fifth wheel from our TT I plan to do a gooseneck conversion. You can get an under bed mounted ball with a quick release so that you do not have to lug the hitch setup in and out of the truck. Look into it.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 2013 Lariat the exact same truck as you, including the Max Tow & HD Payload but in a 4x4. My payload is 2162. We are also waiting on delivery of a new fifth wheel ordered on 1/24/14.

I installed a Pullrite Superglide 4100 several months ago. It also has the super-rails. Removable so nothing is in the bed when removed. From what I have read a slider is probably not necessary but wanted it for insurance for that 1 time I may need it. The Pullrite seemed to be the choice of the people who opted for a slider.

I am going to be very close to max + or - as my trailers specs are heavier then yours. We ordered a Forest River Wildcat 282RKX. Pin is #1385, dry wt. #8320 and GVWR is 11,785

You should be fine weight wise with which ever hitch you go with. Good luck with your new 5th wheel.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Milton6001
If I ever move up to a fifth wheel from our TT I plan to do a gooseneck conversion. You can get an under bed mounted ball with a quick release so that you do not have to lug the hitch setup in and out of the truck. Look into it.
I looked into the B&W setup. It is still one I am considering as well. The slider companion hitch is pretty spendy, but it does have a few advantages. The overall cost will be ~$500.00 more than standard fifth wheel rails and the Pullrite 2700 Superglide I am looking at now. And the slider is still manual. If I decide to go "hidden rails", I suspect I will step up to the SuperGlide 4100 and the SuperRails from Pullrite to save a little money and have a purpose built fifth setup with an automatic slider.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cover Dog
I have 2013 Lariat the exact same truck as you, including the Max Tow & HD Payload but in a 4x4. My payload is 2162. We are also waiting on delivery of a new fifth wheel ordered on 1/24/14.

I installed a Pullrite Superglide 4100 several months ago. It also has the super-rails. Removable so nothing is in the bed when removed. From what I have read a slider is probably not necessary but wanted it for insurance for that 1 time I may need it. The Pullrite seemed to be the choice of the people who opted for a slider.

I am going to be very close to max + or - as my trailers specs are heavier then yours. We ordered a Forest River Wildcat 282RKX. Pin is #1385, dry wt. #8320 and GVWR is 11,785

You should be fine weight wise with which ever hitch you go with. Good luck with your new 5th wheel.
I purpose built this truck for the ability to haul the Family and a Fifth Wheel. Where my job takes me (downtown Houston parking garages and such) a Superduty was not going to work, plus the HD gave me everything I needed. 27K on this truck, and I still love it.

I guess we will both get to see how well Forest River can deliver! I ordered mine the same day as you.

Did you install your SuperRails yourself? How hard was it? The SuperRail setup is a little more spendy, but having a flat bed will be nice. Do you have any pics of the bed with the rails and hitch removed? I wanted to see what it look like with everything pulled out.

Last edited by willieboy; 02-01-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:17 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It's hard to tell from pictures but the front of your 5th is rounded and that pin box looks long. You may not need a slider at all.

I don't have a slider with the same truck and a rounded nose on my 5th. The only place I have clearance issues is the rear corner of the pin box hitting the inside of the box side. But, I'd have that same problem with an 8' box. Otherwise, it would have no problem getting close to 90 degrees. The pin box contact is partially due to the tonneau cover rails and that happens way before 90 degrees. Even with that limitation I've never needed more.

My hitch is just an inexpensive and lightweight Curt 16 with custom frame brackets. The whole assembly weighs 150lb, including the brackets and rails. Hitch itself is about 100 of that and it splits into 2 pieces for easy handling. The down side is that it's the slide bar type and has some slop. As long as the trailer brakes are adjusted properly and you take it easy on stops/starts, it's not a problem. If I were doing it again, I'd look at the B&W companion to have a flat floor or a patriot with the standard brackets/rails. I guess it depends on how much $ you want to spend.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by willieboy
Did you install your SuperRails yourself? How hard was it? The SuperRail setup is a little more spendy, but having a flat bed will be nice. Do you have any pics of the bed with the rails and hitch removed? I wanted to see what it look like with everything pulled out.
Yes installed it myself with the help of a mechanic friend. He has a lift and a 15' ceiling in his shop. Not at all hard with a few exceptions.

I have the wheel well liners in the rear and those should be removed for easier installation. Also I didn't know that with the Pullrite you have to order the templet which marks where the holes ( 4 of them @ 1.75" in diameter) in the bed are to be drilled. It does not come with the hitch. Had to do some measuring to determine where the holes had to go. They give you all the measurements but just a little un-nerving drilling those holes in the bed without the templet.

What we did was after the brackets are mounted to the frame I put masking tape over the holes in the brackets and then when the pilot holes were drilled we could see if we were off any significant amount. And make adjustments in drilling if needed. I have 4 perfect holes drilled with a hole saw.

Did not take pics and right after the install I removed the hitch for storage since it was not going to be needed until April. All you have in the bed is 4 holes that are about 28" front to back about 3' apart and about 4" from the wheel wells in the bed.

I have a fiberglass ARE tonneau cover on the truck so the bed stays dry when not in use. I am trying to find some sort of rubber gromet to put in the holes but have not had any rain water get into the bed.

Good luck with your 5er...
Old 02-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the info CD. I have been mulling over the self install and the drilling. 1.75" is a chunk, you don't want to be off with that.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Reese 16K manual slider. Nothing overly fancy but gets the job done. Also much lighter than the pullrite (not that there is anything wrong with the pullrite).

Quick Reply: Fiver Haulers - What hitch do you have