Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

factory electric brakes

Old 03-26-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory electric brakes

Bought 2012 xlt supercrew has no tow package but has 4 way in back has trailer brake harness under dash and connector by spare tire will accept 7 pin pigtail can I get the factory brake controller and have it programmed or do I have to go aftermarket? I own 2003 f350 7.3 and a 94 7.3 dump truck that I had to put drawtite controllers on but I would really like to have the factory look any ideas?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Yes get the factory. Call a dealer. Should be able to do it.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:17 PM

I am looking to make the same move, found the OEM TBC on Ebay for about $160. The install looks simple enough, but I am told you have to get the computer flashed for the truck to recognize the TBC. Called the dealership where I bought my truck, and they want $132 to plug it in! Does anyone know another less expensive option?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was going to say I agree the built in controller would be very nice but I doubt it will cheap.

I would spend $90 of middle of the road digital unit and mount it. Not quite as clean but much better then $300+
Old 03-26-2014, 08:05 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

There are a number of posts here on the forum about the easy essentially plug-n-play for installing the TBC.

Butt....once you install it you have to get your computer module programmed (probably the BCM) so it knows you have that unit and so it works properly and displays the trailer features in the instrument display.

Here's a thread about it:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/instru...dealer-220499/

Good luck!! The OE TBC is a very good unit!!

Bob
Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you guys sure that the computer will recognize the TBC if it doesn't have the factory tow package. I've got a 2010 with the 4 wire / 7wire at the spare tire, and I haven't been able to get a for sure yes, maybe 2012 is different....
Old 03-27-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 118 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MattBaker81
I am looking to make the same move, found the OEM TBC on Ebay for about $160. The install looks simple enough, but I am told you have to get the computer flashed for the truck to recognize the TBC. Called the dealership where I bought my truck, and they want $132 to plug it in! Does anyone know another less expensive option?
Find another dealer.

Plenty of threads about this add on, and many dealers have done it for free or a very minimal charge.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by MattBaker81
I am looking to make the same move, found the OEM TBC on Ebay for about $160. The install looks simple enough, but I am told you have to get the computer flashed for the truck to recognize the TBC. Called the dealership where I bought my truck, and they want $132 to plug it in! Does anyone know another less expensive
option?
Wow I live in northern Illinois and the local dealer only wants 60 dollars. Worst part is my brothers best friend is a mechanic at the dealership and told him it takes about 15 minutes to flash the computer. Unfortunately from the calls I made and the research I have done it is the only way to let the computer know the controller is there is to flash it. Thanks for the eBay tip I ordered the controller this morning.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by farmall1941m
Wow I live in northern Illinois and the local dealer only wants 60 dollars. Worst part is my brothers best friend is a mechanic at the dealership and told him it takes about 15 minutes to flash the computer. Unfortunately from the calls I made and the research I have done it is the only way to let the computer know the controller is there is to flash it. Thanks for the eBay tip I ordered the controller this morning.
You have a 40k dollar truck and you can't spend a couple hundred bucks for an OE TBC that is fully integrated into the vehicles ABS, speed, and built-in trailer sway control systems?

Maybe you should take Chevycustom2500 guy advice and buy a cheap aftermarket bolt-on unit. You'll get what you pay for.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntrk
You have a 40k dollar truck and you can't spend a couple hundred bucks for an OE TBC that is fully integrated into the vehicles ABS, speed, and built-in trailer sway control systems?

Maybe you should take Chevycustom2500 guy advice and buy a cheap aftermarket bolt-on unit. You'll get what you pay for.
Awwww - go easy on him!! If he's like me he can easily afford whatever it would cost, but I like value for my $$$ and don't like to overpay for anything.

As the guy in the link in my previous post said:

From opening the door and plugging in and following the instructions step by step to closing the door with key off took him 4 minutes and 37 seconds!
So a less than 5 minute procedure shouldn't cost very much at all!!! I know they probably have a 1/2 hour minimum charge, so I'd say that should be the max.

Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: factory electric brakes