Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 EcoBoost with Enclosed Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 EcoBoost with Enclosed Trailer Question

Hello folks,

I am a new owner of 2013 F150 XLT SuperCab with EcoBoost 3.73 gears and Max Tow pkg. It is rated 11.300 lbs towing capacity as it sits.

I am planning to purchase an enclosed racecar trailer. Math comes down to
Trailer is about 4900lbs. Car is 2800lbs. Tools etc is say big 1500lbs.(I am overestimating a little) Total comes up to 9200lbs...

My question is; Is it safe to haul a trailer of this size/weight? What upgrades can you recommend to the trauck? or overall comments on this setup. First order of things; I will purchase a weight distributing hitch..
Old 08-04-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all about payload. Check your door sticker, the yellow one, and start doing math.
9200lb trailer with 10%-12% on the tongue means 920 to 1104 of payload.
WDH is 40 to 50lbs
Driver & passenger, cooler, stuff = 400 to 600 lbs
Full tank of fuel ????

Loading as much stuff in the trailer and as little in the trunk will reduce the payload required.

Here's another racer with great information.
http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm
Old 08-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2012 Lariat, but otherwise the same basic truck as you. My truck has a lot of options, and 1625 lbs of payload. I regularly pull a 24 ft all aluminum race trailer, with a hitch to end length of 30 ft. My total trailer loaded weight is 7800 lbs, with 980 lbs on the tongue. Generally it's only me in the truck, or one other. Here are a few things

1. Make sure your WDH is setup properly; weigh and RE-weigh your load for the best possible results. Get anti sway with the WDH

2. I'd plan on 12-13% tongue weight to help with sway issues. This can eat up a significant amount of payload

3. How many ride with you in the truck? Again, an issue of payload. Try to put everything else in the trailer.

4. Depending on #2 and #3, payload may be a problem, but also be wary to not exceed your rear axle max weight (also posted inside the door)

5. Lastly, how long of a trailer do you plan on pulling?

There are many on here that successfully pull 30 ft travel trailers. However your theoretical 9800 lbs is a large load. Complicate that with a 28 or 30 ft box length (think side sail area in the wind), and you might have a handful.

I'll say I have no issues with power, never seem to be lacking there. I think you'd have plenty of power for your load, unless towing in very hilly/mountainous areas.

However, I don't know that I'd want to haul another 2K lbs, and more length. You might be able to make the numbers work, but unless you have a max payload model truck, your margins will likely be pretty thin
Old 08-04-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

4900lbs? How freaking big is the trailer? My 27' enclosed is 3200 dry
Old 08-05-2013, 01:41 AM

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

Wind resistance is a much bigger factor than weight.
I have pulled a 5000lb TT and about 9000lbs of a skid steer and equipment on a flatbed. The skid steer was slightly less of a struggle on the highway
Old 08-05-2013, 05:56 AM

Hey there folks. Haven't had a chance to read your comments yet. Payload on my truck is 2000 lbs with Max Trailer Tow package. I over estimated the weight of the trailer just to be on the safe side. Probably 500lbs more than it is but also it is very decked out. A/C, full cabinets, winch, generator etc.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
I have a 2012 Lariat, but otherwise the same basic truck as you. My truck has a lot of options, and 1625 lbs of payload. I regularly pull a 24 ft all aluminum race trailer, with a hitch to end length of 30 ft. My total trailer loaded weight is 7800 lbs, with 980 lbs on the tongue. Generally it's only me in the truck, or one other. Here are a few things

1. Make sure your WDH is setup properly; weigh and RE-weigh your load for the best possible results. Get anti sway with the WDH

2. I'd plan on 12-13% tongue weight to help with sway issues. This can eat up a significant amount of payload

3. How many ride with you in the truck? Again, an issue of payload. Try to put everything else in the trailer.

4. Depending on #2 and #3, payload may be a problem, but also be wary to not exceed your rear axle max weight (also posted inside the door)

5. Lastly, how long of a trailer do you plan on pulling?

There are many on here that successfully pull 30 ft travel trailers. However your theoretical 9800 lbs is a large load. Complicate that with a 28 or 30 ft box length (think side sail area in the wind), and you might have a handful.

I'll say I have no issues with power, never seem to be lacking there. I think you'd have plenty of power for your load, unless towing in very hilly/mountainous areas.

However, I don't know that I'd want to haul another 2K lbs, and more length. You might be able to make the numbers work, but unless you have a max payload model truck, your margins will likely be pretty thin
Hey there thanks for your input.

Trailer is 24ft steel based enclosed trailer with options. I over estimated it to be 4900lbs. Truck has Max Tow Pkg. It is listed 2000lbs for payload. I typically have may be 50lbs of stuff in the back seat like electronics, race gear etc. and me 155lbs.. 36gal fuel is about 245lbs.

245 + 155 + 50 = 450lbs
WDH is ~50lbs, we are at 500lbs.

If I am not missing anything that leaves me a PayLoad of 1500lbs..

As one of the friends calculated, 1500lbs should be okay for the tongue weight I am guessing...
Old 08-05-2013, 09:13 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Your eco boost will be just fine with a WD hitch and factory brake controller I think you will find you don't need any other mods to do the job.
Prepare to be amazed.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 8 X 20 enclosed that I weighed empty Friday.
The trailer axle alone was 4160 lbs.
I would consider my trailer to be very well made, after looking at some of the new crap they're selling. Pay attention to tubing thicknesses used, which equals weight.
That said, payload will be your main issue, and exceeding your drive axle weight capacity.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by PHX 150
I have an 8 X 20 enclosed that I weighed empty Friday.
The trailer axle alone was 4160 lbs.
I would consider my trailer to be very well made, after looking at some of the new crap they're selling. Pay attention to tubing thicknesses used, which equals weight.
That said, payload will be your main issue, and exceeding your drive axle weight capacity.
My trailer is United Trailer UXT 24ft. I think it is very well made. I am trying to find the RAWR of my truck. Btw, I am picking up truck tomorrow so I can't get to the door to look at it yet

Quick Reply: F150 EcoBoost with Enclosed Trailer Question