Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 2.7 - tow scenario/question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default F150 2.7 - tow scenario/question

So just recently I purchased a 2016 F150 xlt, 2.7 Eco Boost Super Cab, 4x4, 6.5' bed pickup, trailer tow package, and 3.55 gears. I also have added LT 10PLY Tires (Downsized from a Ram 6.7 cummins)

My truck is rated to 7500 pounds towing and per the door sticker, just under 1700# payload.

The travel trailer I will be pulling is a Coleman/Dutchman 262BHE which is 30.5' (27 camper body, 3.5-4' hitch). Per the door sticker it weighs 5840 pounds dry., approx 800 pounds pin weight.

So I figure normally with myself, wife, and 2 little kids, trailer and gear we will be hovering around 6800-7k total and around 14-1500 pounds of payload - all within the legal limits of the truck. I went with this truck after watching the Ford video showing there F150 towing 7k pounds in Arizona up a 6% grade and beating ford/chevy.

So I Think I will be ok, but my buddy (anti ford guy) has been warning me about not being able to stop good enough and that the trailer sway will whip me around. I have explained the capacities and also the ford anti sway towing feature, but all his warning have got me thinking a little - am I going to be ok?

The towing will me mostly mountainous areas in Idaho, although I wont have any hills more than a 6% grade and wont ever be towing about around 6000 feet elevation.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Are you aware that you will have to use a weight distribution hitch? Absolute must. Get one with anti-sway built into it; like Reese Straight Line.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Your scenario is pretty much the same as mine. Do a search on my posts and you'll find that you'll be fine. I will be towing slightly more than you, but have a slightly higher payload as well.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Are you aware that you will have to use a weight distribution hitch? Absolute must. Get one with anti-sway built into it; like Reese Straight Line.
Of course I do, 12k rated Reese with bars
Old 03-15-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

You should be good to go . . . . just watch your overall payload limit.

Last edited by acadianbob; 03-15-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ahiaring8
I have explained the capacities and also the ford anti sway towing feature, but all his warning have got me thinking a little - am I going to be ok?

Don't rely on the electronic anti-sway system. Think of it as a back-up system to the primary anti-sway system built into a high-end WD hitch. For the hitch, go for a Reese Strait-Line or a Blue Ox SwayPro or an Equal-I-Zer with the right tongue weight capacity that is more than the max tongue weight you could ever have. One of those three hitches with adjustable shank will probably cost you over $500, and over $600 for a Blue Ox from a discount hitch source.

The combo of one of those high-end WD hitches, plus the Ford electronic sway control system, plus proper distribution of the weight in the camper should be all you need for 99+% of the adverse towing conditions you might encounter that can result in uncontrollable trailer sway. But 99+% is not good enough for anyone that has encountered severe uncontrollable trailer sway. For us, there is the ProPride hitch. But the ProPride costs about 4 times as much as the Strait-Line or SwayPro or Equal-I-Zer, so it's not for everyone.
http://www.propridehitch.com/product...ol-Hitch-.html

Quick Reply: F150 2.7 - tow scenario/question