Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust question

I have a 5.4 2005 FX4 four-door short box with a lift kit. Right now it has stock exhaust and looks meaner than it sounds. I would like to change that to where it sounds just as mean as it looks. I have been doing some research and want your opinion. I am thinking about keeping the factory cats and going straight pipe the rest of the way. Right now I have the muffler disconnected and to love the way it sounds but I am wondering will my performance suffer because of it or will the coyotes create enough back pressure. I only use the truck to pull my 24 foot camp trailer soon to be upgraded.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Eliminating back pressure improves performance, especially with that higher compression Coyote engine. If anything you should see a little increase in performance.

I am running straight pipe after the cats with a full tailpipe and love the sound. A small piece of pipe is cheap to test out if you like it or not.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:56 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

wait you have a 5.4 or coyote? lol

One thing to note, straight pipe and towing is a PITA. Your truck becomes a drone box lol I noticed that after my muffler delete. It's just loud the entire time, I cant imagine its any better on the 5.4 that doesn't have the resonator either.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:23 PM

Buy doing this what might be some issues that I run in to?
Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by petrie
Buy doing this what might be some issues that I run in to?
power wise? nothing. You will have no power loss (if anything a power gain)

But it will be consistently loud when towing, at least from my experience.

That's really it, sounds excellent when you get on it!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:10 PM

Doesn't bother me at all when towing. I hauled the wife and myself out this past weekend with the TT behind us and she did not mention anything about noise or drone.

On another note, I'd swear your original post was different and you said you had a 5L Coyote and now it says a 5.4. Am I wrong here or was my head somewhere else.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:24 PM

I think your head was some were else. Lol. I can't event say that I have heard of a coyote engine.

Has any one been pulled over because of Bing to loud?

OMG so I just split the pipe in font of the muffler !!! WOW. MY 7 year old daughter, who is very "tom boy" was in the garage when I started and she said "Dad your truck sounds so mean I like it"
Old 05-26-2016, 12:05 PM

Put a pipe in where the muffler was and reconnect the tailpipe. That will soften up the sound both in the cab and outside. I found that the tailpipe really helps do away with the common "drone" complaint.

I must have been thinking about another thread I read when I replied to your original post.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question