Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

equalizer washers

Old 04-15-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts
Default equalizer washers

so I think I know the answer to this but want to double check with the experience here...

say hypothetically someone (possibly myself) was to loose the extra washers to adjust the ball tilt on an equalizer hitch... in that purely hypothetical scenario, one likely shouldn't just use a similar sized washer from a parts store to add to the washers that are there right? or would it be fine? the washers that came with the hitch look to be a quality metal and they are machined flat... but washers from a parts store are normally stamped and made of cheaper or at least softer metals right?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
so I think I know the answer to this but want to double check with the experience here...

say hypothetically someone (possibly myself) was to loose the extra washers to adjust the ball tilt on an equalizer hitch... in that purely hypothetical scenario, one likely shouldn't just use a similar sized washer from a parts store to add to the washers that are there right? or would it be fine? the washers that came with the hitch look to be a quality metal and they are machined flat... but washers from a parts store are normally stamped and made of cheaper or at least softer metals right?
I don't own an equalizer, but the washer is just a shim to adjust the rotation of the shank. I would use any similar sized (and corrosion resistant) equivalent washer. If you're concerned about strength, grade-5 zinc coated would be just fine.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by xcntrk
I don't own an equalizer, but the washer is just a shim to adjust the rotation of the shank. I would use any similar sized (and corrosion resistant) equivalent washer. If you're concerned about strength, grade-5 zinc coated would be just fine.

yeah you basically have 2 bolts holding the hitch head on the shank (like a lot of other models) the lower one is in a fixed position and the upper one is slotted on the hitch head. so you add washers on the top to tilt it down more and there is a bolt on the bottom facing the shank/back of the truck that you tighten to keep pressure on the washers. I would be less nervous about using other washers except, these washers are quite nice and machined flat. I don't know why they'd go through the trouble and cost to have them machined flat if it wasn't important. it has what appears to be an aluminum pin they sit on but i'd think zinc and aluminum wouldn't be as much of a concern as steel and aluminum touching. thanks for the advise. i'll see what they have at napa and make a decision once i see what they have... I mean in the hypothetical situation where someone would misplace parts that are necessary to adjust there hitch.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

mine uses what looks like a regular washer...

or these...
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...2-04-9655.html

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...Tite/3306.html
Old 04-16-2014, 09:27 AM

called a local rv dealer... they said they have a ton laying around that they'd just give me from setting up other people's hitches. I'll take a pic of mine on friday because it doesn't look like either of those steve... although it does make me feel better about using almost any washer
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Grade 5 or 8 washer from the hardware store is fine...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: equalizer washers