Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Parking Brake at Boat Ramp

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Electronic Parking Brake at Boat Ramp

Has anyone used the electronic parking brake at the boat ramp? My 2016 is rated at 7500#. Total boat motor trailer fuel and equipment is under 5000#. Trailer is 5000# gvwr.

My old Expedition with 9.75 rear axle had regular parking brake but couldn't hold on the ramp. The axle seals did leak a little and may have contributed to that.

Any experience with this brake on boat ramp?

GP
Old 12-13-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

To clear things up for you a little the brake at the rear wheel still works the same, by locking the rear wheels . Only thing that changes is now when u hit the button it will fully in gauge the brake where you would have had to full press the e brake pedal before

Also my 14 can hold my boat which is a little heavier then yours, btw I hope you use park and the e brake while on the ramps
Old 12-13-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blueflame
To clear things up for you a little the brake at the rear wheel still works the same, by locking the rear wheels . Only thing that changes is now when u hit the button it will fully in gauge the brake where you would have had to full press the e brake pedal before

Also my 14 can hold my boat which is a little heavier then yours, btw I hope you use park and the e brake while on the ramps

I always use Park and the parking brake, but do not like too much weight on the park pin.

The foot pedal parking brake uses a drum brake inside the hat of the rotor. That's what my 2000 Expedition with 9.75" axle had and I believe all 5.0 and 3.5eb trucks along with the 2.7eb with payload package. I serviced this system multiple times on the old truck due to stuck and rusted parts.

I believe the electronic on the 8.8" uses the service brake (the rear caliper) but uses a motor to clamp down vs hydraulic pressure. The lighter trucks with 6500# and lower gvwr have this axle and parking brake set up.

Just wondering the efficiency of this system if anyone has used it on a boat ramp.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:12 PM

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I Would say the electronic will work better over manual, since the disc will have more clamping power over the drum set up. In my mind at least . This isn't new technology other car manufacturers have used similar systems

I think it would be same or better, wait and see if someone has experience with their truck
Old 12-13-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

If you have 4WD, shift it in aand use Park too. That way all 4 wheels are holding. The rears on the slippery part of the ramp concern me. Even if the ebrake holds perfectly...
The following users liked this post:
Jason_Larsen (12-31-2016)