Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Educate me on Enclosed Trailers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Educate me on Enclosed Trailers.

I recently got my '16 KR with the max tow package and want to purchase an enclosed cargo trailer. I'm located in south central Massachusetts. I'm quite confused with all the different brands of trailers out there, but I want one that is of the better quality.

I'm looking for about a 7'x14' trailer for storing, hauling furniture, general moving use. I know it will have dual axles, but not sure what type of suspension is best. Should I lean towards an all aluminum? I need one that has a type of rails on the floor and sides to tie things down well. Prefer one with a ramp but not necessary, and a side door. Is a V-front really necessary? Is electric brakes the norm? I'm 61 and have "chemo brain" so please educate me about these types of trailers.

Any and all information/help/recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:08 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

You're in the marketing area for CarMate cargo trailers. I have a 7x14 CarMate cargo trailer. I've towed it all over the West, including twice from Austin to SoCal and back and once from Midland to Oregon and back. I would suggest you plan ahead and order exactly the size and options you want. The 7x14 HD cargo trailer has GVWR of 7,000 pounds, and options of ramp rear door, side door, RV door, and all sorts of interior options for tie downs and lights/plugs.

My 7x14 drags lots of wind. No problem for my F-150 EcoBoost other than not-so-good MPG when towing. If I were to order a new one, I'd probably go for a 6x12.

Here's the 7x14HD similar to mine:
http://www.carmate-trailers.com/new_...=2359&DispType=

Notice the packages and options available if you order one. Your local CarMate dealer probably won't have exactly what you want in stock, so plan on ordering it.

Notice that CarMate makes several other models of enclosed cargo trailers besides the HD Custom Cargo. You might like one of the other models even better.

Competition includes Pace American cargo and race trailers. They are a bit less quality and a bit less expensive than the CarMate. So you pays your money and you takes your choice.
http://www.paceamerican.com/series/cargo-trailers

You do not want a V-nose because you cannot install most weight-distributing (WD) hitches on the tongue with the V-nose covering up most of the tongue. And you absolutely must have a WD hitch installed for high-speed interstate highways when the tongue weight exceeds 500 pounds. With GVWR of 7,000 pounds, your tongue weight without overloading the trailer could be as high as 1,050 pounds if you load it to have 15% hitch weight. So don't worry about a V-nose. If you need more room inside the trailer, order a bigger trailer. CarMate makes them as big as 8x24.

If you find a V-nose trailer you like, then have the dealer install a good WD hitch with excellent sway control before you buy the trailer. Insist on a good WD hitch that costs around $500 from a discount online source, such as Amazon.com. Good WD hitches include Equal-I-Zer, Blue Ox and Reese Strait-Line. Reese makes cheaper hitches, but If you get a Reese, be sure it is a Strait-Line.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

How much do you want to spend? That's kind of the question with trailers. If the price seems to good to be true, it probably is.

The big 3 items in my mind

Torsion axles > Leaf spring
Screwless Exterior >Screws
Aluminum frame>Steel

Ramps cost more than doors.

RV style door handles are nice on side doors

Depending on what you want the trailer for, there is nothing wrong with many of low priced trailers from reputable manufactures. Brakes are going to be required on trailers with a gross weight of over 3000lbs.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 410 Likes on 292 Posts

V front with a taper down for cutting the wind. Buy as long and with the options you can afford. Look up the trailer dealers in your area and the brand they carry. Then look where they are built. Most of all US made trailers are made in Indiana. Many trailer sites have an area where you can build your own trailer and get the cost for reference. I bought a 12' V front non ramp rear door and bought ramps and wish it was 14'. The reason for the 2 doors is because with the ramp door you always need that extra area in back to open them along with the whole rear area is exposed when opened in bad weather and @ 63 things just a not as easy as they use to be when handling a large door. Electric brakes can be required on tandem axle trailers and trailers rated over 3K in some states.