Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost with plow.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecoboost with plow.

I was asked by my dealer when I bought my '11 ecoboost if I intended on plowing with it because you can't mount a plow because it blocks the inter cooler which will void the warranty. Also was told that a plow would draw to much voltage and interrupt the electronic power steering. Anyway I had no intentions of plowing anyway.
Today I passed by a ford dealership and there in the lot was a 2013 ecoboost with a Safeway plow mounted to it. Dealership was closed so I couldn't get more info.
Have they made provisions for a plow on the 2013 ecoboosts? Front end and interooler are same except the grill.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

no. somebody just screwed up lol. I have a friend that works at a work truck parts place and said when they tried putting a plow on an ecoboost last year, it wouldn't even steer. like the wheels wouldn't turn at all. they still have the same EPAS on the EB/5.0 so you can only plow with a 6.2L F150.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

For 2013, the manual suggest that NONE of the F150's should be used for plowing. It still says the 6.2L does not have EPS, so I would assume the issue is not the sterring or the CAC.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow ford just made the f150 slightly more useless.

That seems kinda dumb to do that. They beefed it up so now it can do anything a 250 could have done 5 years ago except plow.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

I think the brand is SnowWay and it is supposed to be the only one certified by Ford for the new F150s. Plows have enough stand off that I doubt airflow to the intercooler is a problem in cold weather. The EPS is a different matter and I wonder what SnowWay did different.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

just searched around for the Sno Way 26 & 26R plows, and found this on plowsite.com:

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngom12
Why can you not put a plow on the new F-150's? Just wondering?.

You can Snoway 26 series.

The issue at this point seems to be sacrificial loads. Snoway's systems have no sacrificial draws, no relays, isolation modules, headlight modules, etc to interfere with the electric power steering.
"

does anyone know if this is true? I can't seem to find anything backing this up on Sno Way's website.

I have an 09 f150 with the 5.4. so the only issue with putting a plow on my truck would be the electric steering issue.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

When all else fails, I default to the owners manual. If it say no, I wouldn't do it, no matter what an vendors site may say.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Italianbuca
just searched around for the Sno Way 26 & 26R plows, and found this on plowsite.com:

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngom12
Why can you not put a plow on the new F-150's? Just wondering?.

You can Snoway 26 series.

The issue at this point seems to be sacrificial loads. Snoway's systems have no sacrificial draws, no relays, isolation modules, headlight modules, etc to interfere with the electric power steering.
"

does anyone know if this is true? I can't seem to find anything backing this up on Sno Way's website.

I have an 09 f150 with the 5.4. so the only issue with putting a plow on my truck would be the electric steering issue.
2009 does not have EPAS.

I went back and looked it up: pg 225
"Snow plow restriction
WARNING: Ford does not recommend the use of any F-150
model to be upfitted and equipped with snow plow hardware for
use as a snow plow vehicle."

Last edited by willieboy; 11-05-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't resist riding back to the dealer today and inquiring. The salesman told me that they have sold a few ecoboosts with the snoway plow on it. It is installed at an independent garage they use. The garage adds the front end blocks, bypasses the eps, and install the plow and mount.
He says they do inform all customers that it is against Ford policy and that it could void certain warranty items. It is up to the customer to make the decision. He claims that any they sold has been for personal use and not commercial and they haven't seen any problems.
For me....I'll opt not to have a plow on my ecoboost.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by richf28
I couldn't resist riding back to the dealer today and inquiring. The salesman told me that they have sold a few ecoboosts with the snoway plow on it. It is installed at an independent garage they use. The garage adds the front end blocks, bypasses the eps, and install the plow and mount.
He says they do inform all customers that it is against Ford policy and that it could void certain warranty items. It is up to the customer to make the decision. He claims that any they sold has been for personal use and not commercial and they haven't seen any problems.
For me....I'll opt not to have a plow on my ecoboost.
I'm curious as to how they bypass the EPAS. Peterson's 4wheel and offroad mag built an eco to wheel some serious trails. One of the things they did was convert the steering to hydraulic. That's one way to do it.

I used to install Hiniker plows years ago. On those plows the hydraulic pump only runs when you move the blade so I can't imagine that it puts that much more strain on the electrical system. However, on the '08 and up super duty trucks they either need the snow plow prep pkg or have the BCU flashed in order for the lights to be able to switch from truck to plow. Maybe some of the same on the F150. Unless it has more to do with the weight of the plow stressing the EPAS.

If a plow draws too much power, then I guess a winch is out too. I don't plow but I do use a winch now and then (haven't had to in the time I've owned this truck). Damn, maybe I bought the wrong truck.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost with plow.