Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you change your breakers often?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Do you change your breakers often?

On the 4th of July, our main breaker started flipping with normal loads. Being hot hot hot, we unplugged things (coffee pot, fans, etc) to keep the A/C on.
Then a few weeks later, went to Oklahoma and again had extremely hot weather. Same problems.
Last week, while preparing for a trip, the A/C would not stay on cold (cycled off). The fan would run, but the compressor would cycle off.
Did a little reading on the net and found that breakers will weaken with use and will weaken faster if they are flipped often.
We replaced all of them (though the 30 Amp was probably the week one).
We had another hot weekend on the lake this past weekend and with normal usage again, no problems with breakers.
Looks like we solved the problem.
As relatively new campers (3 years), I was just curious if anyone else had these issues and if you need to replace breakers regularly.

Last edited by humblerb; 09-04-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I can't say I have had that happen ever. We have been camping in Travel Trailers/Popup campers for 10 years+ and I have not yet had to replace a breaker. We had a couple on our 20 year old house that have gone bad, but I always attributed it to the exterior breaker box location.

RV companies buy nearly all the components for the trailer in huge bulk to decrease cost. My 3 year old Travel Trailer had 5 year old tires on it when I bought it. I had to replace them in the spring because they were tread seperating. I am sure RV companies cut those same corners with all the components. My buddy had a new RV that had a two year old refrigerator (according tot he serial number). It is conceivable you had old/low quality breakers installed from new, and they have truely gone bad. I would guess the other problem is the park power. Depending on where I stay, I have seen a huge difference in park power output; anywhere from 110v-125 volts upon pull-in. Get a good hot day and a bunch of dual AC Diesel Pushers in the park, and that number gets worse. Between the park power output and the quality of the power (there is a lot of forum posts of the RV boards about the low quality of power output), your trailer's electrical system could have also sustained damage at the breakers. Either way, if you suspect the trailer is the issue, check the grounds, make sure you have not put a nail through any wires, and maybe consider a whole trailer surge suppressor/line conditioner. I have not yet gone the surge suppressor/line conditioner route, but if I camped in more RV parks (as opposed to State Park campgrounds), I would certainly think about it.

Last edited by willieboy; 09-06-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I do AC/refrigeration for a living. Breakers trip for a reason. We recently used our AC on our TT while it was 111 degrees. It worked like a champ with no issues. If your unit was running without the compressor it probably tripped on internal overload. It's a safety if the compressor gets to hot it will shut it off then when compressor cools down the overload will close & the compressor will start working again. Make sure your condenser coil is clean. Also make sure condenser fan motor is not failing causing unit to run high amps therefore causing breaker to trip.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by MikeFresno
I do AC/refrigeration for a living. Breakers trip for a reason. We recently used our AC on our TT while it was 111 degrees. It worked like a champ with no issues. If your unit was running without the compressor it probably tripped on internal overload. It's a safety if the compressor gets to hot it will shut it off then when compressor cools down the overload will close & the compressor will start working again. Make sure your condenser coil is clean. Also make sure condenser fan motor is not failing causing unit to run high amps therefore causing breaker to trip.
Mike - Thanks for the input. As stated, we had no issues last weekend after replacing the breakers. I checked the AC unit on top before leaving on the trip, with intentions of cleaning it. However, it was spotless. I removed the plastic cover and the sheet metal cover. No trash at all. The unit performed fine last weekend.
Just a quick electrical question: The power cord plug had separated from the sheath, exposing the green, red and white wires between the plug and sheath. I replaced the plug after we returned from the successful trip. When these molded plugs come loose, is there a chance that the wires inside the plug can be loose and possibly cause an arc?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:16 AM

Loose connections cause high amps. So maybe that was the problem
Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFresno
Loose connections cause high amps. So maybe that was the problem
This ^^ also I always bring a meter with me when I camp to make sure the voltage is within specs. Often times ive found some campsites electrical hookups are too low voltage to use high draw stuff like the AC or microwave.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by kozal01
This ^^ also I always bring a meter with me when I camp to make sure the voltage is within specs. Often times ive found some campsites electrical hookups are too low voltage to use high draw stuff like the AC or microwave.
I've heard a lot of people talk about these meters.
What exactly are they and how do they work?

Thanks,
Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by humblerb

I've heard a lot of people talk about these meters.
What exactly are they and how do they work?

Thanks,
It's a volt meter. U can buy a cheap one at home depot. I have a good one that runs in the $200 range buts that because I use it daily for work. It has 2 leads on it. Put both leads in outlet to measure voltage at campsite.
The following users liked this post:
humblerb (09-06-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Girthy Member

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Regarding meters... this thing is very user friendly and can read V, VA, W and cumulative power usage.

http://www.p3international.com/produ.../p4400-ce.html
Old 09-09-2012, 01:29 AM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

wow i have been a a electrician for 25 years and i think i would look deeper in to it. sounds like the new breaker fixed it. BUT there might be a reason it started in the first place. maybe all you fixed was a symptom and in a couple years the problem might be back. as said above loose or bad wire slices and or terminations can be a problem as well. i would see if the load is well with in the specks of the breakers rang/ratings just to see if the load is with in specs! just 3 years old don't sound right for a breaker to go bad or soft if you will and is it switch rated (witch most breakers are now days)then it don't mind being turned on and off all the time.
what brand is the panel and breakers? what size wires on said breakers? did you check all neutral and ground lugs for tightness?

Quick Reply: Do you change your breakers often?