Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do better tires increase GAWR (axle payload) ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do better tires increase GAWR (axle payload) ??

I need a payload a few hundred pounds above what's rated for my 2016 single cab long box. I already got load range E (10 ply) tires, that would normally be used for F-350s, and airbags.

I read that the GAWR on the sticker assumes the wimpy stock tires right below that portion of the sticker, and that the axle can actually take much more weight with better tires.

The fact that the "HD Payload Package" by Ford doesn't seem to include a stronger axle implies this is true?

Some mechanics tell me I'm more than fine, truck drivers tell me I'm crazy to exceed payload. Thanks for any help!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:39 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Short answer NO. the weight ratings are set at the factory and nothing you change will change that rating. can you outfit your truck tow or haul more? yes but the the weight ratings stay the same.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Listen to the truck drivers.

Many different things affect payload and tow ratings. Tires, wheels, axle, engine, drive type, options, brakes, gearing, to name a few.

If you need more, you need a bigger truck.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Svenn
Do better tires increase GAWR (axle payload) ??
No.

What kmlacroix said. Don't confuse the weight rating of the axle with the GAWR (gross axle weight rating). The axle rating is just the axle, and it's probably higher than the GAWR. The GAWR cannot be higher then the weakest component in the rear suspension, including tires, wheels, springs. shocks, frame, etc.

If you needed more payload capacity, you should trade for a truck with more payload capacity. An F-250 for example.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are worried about harming the axle or making the vehicle unsafe than stop worrying.....load placement, distribution and security is often more important than the actual load amount. Also, the truck is sized to haul and stop over 7000lbs so an extra 2-300 in the bed means nothing. As far as the MOT/DOT is concerned they do not care about your 2-300lbs. What they care about is unsafely loaded or driving erratically.

A lot of people talk about legal limits and raising them and you get your usual list of people saying that it cannot be done. They are wrong. You can raise your limits and it really is not that hard but very, very few people actually know how the process works or how to follow it. I do because I see it done on a regular basis. Not with trucks mind you but with heavy equipment upgrades....same process.

The same people who scream about reducing towing capacities either this way or that really do not know what they are talking about. Lets start with tires for one. If you go to oversize tires than you do not just reduce the towing capacity of the truck but you completely invalidate it . FORD did not test the truck with over sized tires. There is no FORD towing chart for over sized tires. Now I know that everyone is laughing right now and saying that I oversized this and that I oversized that and that I never had a problem and you know what else you never had, pulled over by the MOT/DOT. THEY DO NOT CARE about you and your pimped out POS unless it is loaded unsafely or driving erratically and yeah, these guys are smart. Any MOT/DOT officer can tell you who is and who is not exceeding their capacities but as long as your vehicle is acting in a safe manner they simply do not care. Just remember, keep it level, keep it straight and keep on going...that is all the DOT/MOT cares about.

2-300 lbs overloaded....give me a ****ing' break. I have overloaded a **** load more than that, we even snapped an axle on one wood run and all the MOT cared about is that we got our broken down POS off of his road...pronto. Door stickers....none. We had removed them and painted over the door a few years earlier. MOT DID NOT give a ****.

I am sorry about ranting but these idiots get really annoying.....You do realize that smokywren's current rig is running 2-300lbs overloaded. Do you see him running out and buying an F250?
Old 08-08-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Changing the tires won't technically give your truck more payload. But it just might make it drive better when loaded to, or slightly above the max listed on the door.

Going over the listed weight is your call. My trucks sticker says 1621 lbs. I doubt if it will suddenly break if I occasionally put 1800 lbs in it and I'd do so. But on a consistent basis things will wear out sooner. I sure wouldn't want to carrry 2000-2200 lbs in mine though. Even for a short distance. You didn't define "a few hundred pounds". That could be anywhere between 200 and 900 lbs.

With trucks we worry about these things a lot more than we should maybe. Technically most cars are only rated for 600-1000 lbs. Put 4 adults in many of them and they are over by a wide margin even without any luggage.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulevard
we even snapped an axle on one wood run

I am sorry about ranting but these idiots get really annoying.....You do realize that smokywren's current rig is running 2-300lbs overloaded. Do you see him running out and buying an F250?
The snapped axle says it all. Perfect example. Would Boulevard be bragging about things if the axle snapped on the highway and he lost control and people died?

Trending Topics

Old 08-08-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It did snap on a Hwy..while we were crossing a rail road track....we were not going fast...no one died but once again you miss the point. A severely overloaded truck with a snapped axle and no door stickers and the MOT did not care.

You are right, what I did was stupid and I will never do it again but I also see that you did not make any mention of smokeywren and his overloading issue. It seems that you are selective in your criticism.

A perfect example of someone who sees only what he wants to see.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've put roughly 2300 lbs in the bed and had at least an inch before the bump stops hit. It had LT tires when I bought it and it handled the 5 miles I had to go just fine. I routinely haul 1 ton of horse feed to the race track about weekly. Again no issues.
Probably wouldn't go across the state that way, but short trips it handles just fine.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulevard
It did snap on a Hwy..while we were crossing a rail road track....we were not going fast...no one died but once again you miss the point. A severely overloaded truck with a snapped axle and no door stickers and the MOT did not care.

You are right, what I did was stupid and I will never do it again but I also see that you did not make any mention of smokeywren and his overloading issue. It seems that you are selective in your criticism.

A perfect example of someone who sees only what he wants to see.
Issue is not whether you get ticketed or fined. Issue is with people knowingly towing over capacity, in some cases well over capacity.

Were you 200 or 300 pounds over?

Quick Reply: Do better tires increase GAWR (axle payload) ??