Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel vs gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel vs gas

In an earlier post I asked "what can my 2014 F150 tow?". After getting down to the details, it doesn't have enough payload and GVWR for what I want to do. Am I allowed to ask about the F250 here? I'm looking at 2013-2014 F250 Lariats. I prefer supercab as opposed to the longer crew cab. I like the function of the super cab door to open all the way up to give me better loading access for the back seat. It seems like F250's with super cab are pretty rare. Those that I have found are 6.2 GAS engines. Not sure if supercab+Diesel is out there? Is there an argument to go Diesel or Gas? Will Diesel dictate a crew cab? Planning to haul a GN 3 horse plus tack trailer and a GN Deck over to pull my tractor with bushhog.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad_bb
In an earlier post I asked "what can my 2014 F150 tow?". After getting down to the details, it doesn't have enough payload and GVWR for what I want to do. Am I allowed to ask about the F250 here? I'm looking at 2013-2014 F250 Lariats. I prefer supercab as opposed to the longer crew cab. I like the function of the super cab door to open all the way up to give me better loading access for the back seat. It seems like F250's with super cab are pretty rare. Those that I have found are 6.2 GAS engines. Not sure if supercab+Diesel is out there? Is there an argument to go Diesel or Gas? Will Diesel dictate a crew cab? Planning to haul a GN 3 horse plus tack trailer and a GN Deck over to pull my tractor with bushhog.
Ford build and price lets you put a diesel in a supercab and I have seen them on the road, they are probably just rarer because you pay such a premium for a diesel that it tends to shift people to a supercrew.

Diesels are going to have a much easier time towing at low RPM than a gasser, they will not lose power at altitude, and will likely get better mpgs loaded and unloaded.

Diesels will likely cost more to maintain(Oil, DEF, maintenance, etc) and if gas prices go back to what they were, IE a $0.50 cost difference between gas and diesel, then the mpg's may not make up for the fuel prices.

And a F250 Diesel may not have a huge payload advantage over an F150 since the diesel weights like 700 lbs more than the 6.2 and probably 900 lbs more than the 3.5EB/5.0

Last edited by mass-hole; 04-30-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

If you're going to be hooked for a good chunk of the trucks lifetime, or if you're going to be pulling a large amount of weight at higher altitudes- Diesel is the way to go if you can stomach the up front premium. Overall I think the 6.2 Gasser would handle what you want pretty easily but it's going to rev and drink, but that's what they're designed to do.

I went through this dilemma with my 2500 and ended up with a gas and am pleased as punch. More than enough clout for my needs without the lighter wallet.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:34 AM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Dealers don't like to stock supercab trucks because they are priced lower. So the only way you will see a supercab lariat is a special order. You may be able to do what you want with a gas engine 250. A lot cheaper and can tow a lot. You just can't accelerate quickly while towing like with a diesel.

Quick Reply: Diesel vs gas