Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curt Weight Distribution Hitch - A Few Notes

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Curt Weight Distribution Hitch - A Few Notes

so I have spent about two weeks reading posts about towing, and got some good feedback regarding my Tremor eco towing ability. I decided on going ahead and purchasing a WDH, while I believe the truck would tow without much of an issue if I didn't have it because of minor overload I figure it will make a positive difference in using it. I did a little research and got a couple of opinions about which hitch to use, capacity wise. I went with a 1k tounge weight/10k overall weight capacity, trunion bar style. A couple of things I found out during my research that may help somebody in the future.

I have Curt Model 17302

1 - hitchball shank size is 1 1/4", not 1". I called Curt to verify before ordering, two separate calls, two separate people both told me it would be 1", they were wrong, I went with my gut and ordered two separate hitchballs so I was covered. I will use the 1" ball on my regular hitch just to move trailer around or otherwise not loaded.

2 - I keep seeing info that a WDH is about 50lbs and that needs to be accounted for in the load calc of payload/tounge weight. The Curt hitch weighs 90lbs in the box, add a 4 to 6lb hitchball and you are closer to 100lbs.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:20 AM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

Sound like my husky brand...came with an adapter ring for 1 inch ball..
Old 05-29-2014, 06:41 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

The bars are not included in the weight I believe.

Quick Reply: Curt Weight Distribution Hitch - A Few Notes