Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cross country trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cross country trip

I am about to travel cross country on the trip that me and my wife have been talking about for years(along with our 2 year old son). I want to make sure that I am doing everything I can for my family and truck to stay safe. I have a 2016 150 XLT 3.5 eco with the max tow package. also have the e-quilezer WD hitch. My TT is 7,200lb. Just hoping i could get some advice. One friend told me about a aftermarket fan i could put on the trans cooler just to help out with temperature in the hot states. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Payload capacity is the limiting factor for half-ton trucks.

I hope the 7,200 lbs that you mention is the gross weight, and not the dry weight. At 7,200 lbs gross, you're tongue weight will be around 900lbs. The payload capacity of your XLT (if it's anything like mine, assuming a supercrew) is probably around 1,700lbs leaving 800lbs for passengers and gear in your truck. Your actual payload capacity is inidicated on the sticker on the inside of the driver's side door.

Pack light.
Ensure all tire pressues are optimal.
Watch your speed on the interstates. Remember that the trailer tires are typically speed-rated to only about 65mph.
Calibrate your WDH hitch properly.
Calibrate the trailer brakes properly.
Use the tow/haul mode on your transmission.
Install tow mirrors - there are many decent clip-on style mirrors available.
Expect abysmal fuel economy.

I wouldn't bother with the aftermarket tranny fan. The max tow package includes an auxiliary tranny oil cooler anyways. You can enable the digital transmission temperature gauge on your dashboard display through the truck apps options. Keep an eye on this, especially when climbing hills.

Have fun, enjoy the ride
Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

In addition to what Schmenke said, I'd strongly recommend you spend some time reading this section of the forum. Lots of great posts that take people through determining the actual trailer weight, truck weight, and doing the math to determine you are in fact safe. As was stated, at 7,200 lbs gross, you may be fine. If that's dry, you likely aren't.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep your excess TT weight over the trailer axle, not behind. If you need to lessen TW, consider moving weight to the truck if possible. Boost trailer brakes on the downgrades.

Take a look at the spreadsheet I just posted- it will be my main tool for weight distribution from here on out.
https://www.f150forum.com/f82/excell...338841/index6/
Old 05-09-2016, 04:06 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ColbyL
If you need to lessen TW, consider moving weight to the truck if possible.
That doesn't accomplish a thing as, in either case, the weight still comes out of the payload.

As long as the trailer cargo carrying capacity is not exceeded, you are better off with the weight in the trailer as only a portion of that weight is carried by the truck. Put the weight in the truck and it ALL comes out of the truck capacity. Use the trailer capacity.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
That doesn't accomplish a thing as, in either case, the weight still comes out of the payload.

As long as the trailer cargo carrying capacity is not exceeded, you are better off with the weight in the trailer as only a portion of that weight is carried by the truck. Put the weight in the truck and it ALL comes out of the truck capacity. Use the trailer capacity.
True.. I stand corrected. I was thinking in terms of my own situation, where my tongue is just plain heavy, due to factory options, and I need to carry the trailer spare in my TV bed to lighten it up.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Many people vastly overload the front of their trailer and make hitch weights excessive.
I see it frequently.
Adjusting their internal load to at least lighten the front bias helps a little.
Toy haulers are the worst unless they have a LOT in the garage area.
For many people they just don't know better.
I moved everything heavy from the front of a friend's trailer that i could, and relocating it behind the trailer axles made it handle so much better he said.
He must have had at least 1000 pounds on the hitch of his dinky little trailer with a full weight of a measly 7100 pounds.
Put the damn trailer weight on the trailers axles....its not supposed to be under duty in axle and tire capacity that the truck is required to carry excessive amounts of it....... Rant over.....

Quick Reply: cross country trip