Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Constant alarm when backing with hitch installed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Constant alarm when backing with hitch installed?

I have a 2015 XLT SuperCrew 4X2, 2.7 with trailer tow package. I just used the truck to tow my Casita travel trailer for the first time.

When I install the hitch in the truck's receiver and then back up to hook up the trailer I get a constant alarm. I can't understand the purpose of a constant alarm when you are trying to back up to hitch up your trailer. I didn't find any reference to this in the manual.

Any thoughts on why I get this alarm whenever the transmission in placed in reverse and there is a hitch installed in the receiver? Once I hook the trailer up to the hitch, then I no longer get the alarm when in reverse.

Any way to deactivate this alarm?

Thanks, Steve
Old 05-07-2016, 01:19 AM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Truck doesn't know you installed a hitch. It just sees something on the sensor area. On my lariat it always starts with a prompt that allows me to go down and deselect the feature. That's what I do. It's annoying but unless they install a sensor in the receiver so it knows when a hitch is in there, how else would it know the difference between it and an object.

Figure out how to disable it and that's it. Not fords fault.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nighthawk87:
Ricktwuhk (05-07-2016), Steve@F150 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Nighthawk - that makes sense. I wasn't thinking it was the regular back up alarm but my hitch is larger and it probably trips the back up sensor.

Thanks again for your explanation.

Steve

Quick Reply: Constant alarm when backing with hitch installed?