Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check my towing math and help me decide please, thanks!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Check my towing math and help me decide please, thanks!

Wife wants to get a full supercrew, up from my current crewcab. So I've been crunching numbers, not about price, but about towing and hauling. After educating myself I've realized that Ford published tow ratings are not the issue. The real true limiting factor is going to be payload, if my numbers are right...

Vehicle I'm considering is a F-150 Lariat 4x4 supercrew with the 3.5 ecoboost and the 3.73 electric locking axle it has the Max tow package.
-GCWR: 17100
-GVWR: 7650
-Max tow: 11100
-Ford says that the payload is 1900 pounds.
So by using the formula Payload = GVWR-Base Curb Weight, I figure that the base curb weight must be 5750 (7650 - 1900 = 5750)
-Curb: 5750

Let's say the boat I might upgrade to is 6k (probably not that much, but some safety margin for gas and stuff). Let's also say that the boat maker says there should be 10% on the tongue of the truck. Also my family will weigh in at 700 pounds.

So, the math looks like this.. 1900 - (700 + 600) = 600. So 600 pounds for cargo will put me at the GVWR.

That means we are at...

17100 (GCWR)
-5500 towed weight (will add the other 500 in on the truck side)
-5750 curb weight
-1300 pounds of cargo (people, and tongue weight)
= 5150 under GCWR, but only 600 of that can be in truck cargo.

Now I don't have a lot of experience with these things in real life. I have 600 pounds of cargo weight left with all the family and the theoretical boat hooked up. Is 600 pounds a lot? How much do you guys carry on say, a camping trip to the lake? You think you carry more than 600 pounds of gear (not counting bodies and tongue weight)?

Is 5k under GCWR enough spare power to deal with hills, highway speeds, wet and steep boat ramps ect?

Also, I know that going over the GCWR is a horrible idea, stopping power, overheating parts ect. But what about going over GVWR?

It seems to me that going over GVWR, especially if you are still way under GCWR, may not be a huge deal. But what the hell do I know? I don't want leave my bumper on the highway, or bust up my suspension. That's why I thought I'd ask you experts.

Another option my wife mentioned is just going up to a 250. Any 250 will be plenty, PLENTY to do what I need (with plenty of left over for hills and other situations). But I hear stories that they are rough riding unless there is a load, and they aren't good for daily drivers, they are more in maintenance (I understand this, but how MUCH more?). I've never owned a diesel so I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect. I know that fuel costs will go up.

Another consideration, oh boy this will make me sound like a wuss, is that I really REALLY like my vehicles to be in my garage so the paint and interior don't get bleached out or damaged (I live in Texas where it is hot and sunny and we get hail once in a while). The 250 in Supercrew will be to big for my garage by about a foot. If the truck is what is right for me though, I'll get over that.

TLR
-How bad is it to go over GVWR?
-Is max tow rating like max everyday towing, or more like max, very max once in a while in best conditions towing?
-Is 5k pounds under GCWR enough spare power to deal with mountains and other challenging towing conditions.
-Should I just say sod it all and get a 250?

I THINK that is all. Thanks for the opinions and help ladies and gentlemen!!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

All your math looks right, besides maybe the tongue weight. I know all boats are different but I doubt yours will have 10% tongue weight. My boat weighs 6K and I have never measured the tongue weight with my scale but look at the picture it does not make the truck sag more then .5". Also coming from a guy that has the 5.4, the Ecoboost will have plenty of power. I have never had a problem with power in my truck and I even pull the boat up the ramp in 2x4 with an open diff.
To answer your questions about a 250, I have no idea about maintenance or ride quality because I have never owned/ridden in one. But I don't think it is needed.

I hope you find a good truck and boat for the summer!
Name:  photo3_zpscb37733e.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  144.9 KB
Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

I think your math is good, but I'm concerned that the numbers you're using are kinda theoretical brochure numbers.

That 1900 payload capacity sounds like a sales brochure plain jane/no options weight. If you get a no frills truck then you might have that 1900 lbs, but if you get a few options that add some weight then I bet the trucks weight is more like 5900 to 6000 lbs, and the payload capacity would be in the range of 1650 to 1750 lbs.

Also, you're going to need a WDH, and that weighs at least 50 lbs, so subtract that from your payload.

And, if you add a bed liner and tonneau cover, that will subtract another 75 to 100 lbs from your payload.

Maybe somebody with a similar Lariat 4x4 with a few options will chime in and tell you what their truck actually weighs.

Are you looking at a specific truck on a dealer's lot?? If so, just open the door and copy down the weights you see on the stickers on the doorjamb. Also, lay down under the rear bumper and look up at the sticker that shows the hitch ratings.

The 6000 lb boat should be no problem for a Lariat with Max Tow.

However, you're right to concern yourself with the other stuff you'll be carrying as well.

Bob
Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by KR Kodi
I think your math is good, but I'm concerned that the numbers you're using are kinda theoretical brochure numbers.

That 1900 payload capacity sounds like a sales brochure plain jane/no options weight. If you get a no frills truck then you might have that 1900 lbs, but if you get a few options that add some weight then I bet the trucks weight is more like 5900 to 6000 lbs, and the payload capacity would be in the range of 1650 to 1750 lbs.

Also, you're going to need a WDH, and that weighs at least 50 lbs, so subtract that from your payload.

And, if you add a bed liner and tonneau cover, that will subtract another 75 to 100 lbs from your payload.

Maybe somebody with a similar Lariat 4x4 with a few options will chime in and tell you what their truck actually weighs.

Are you looking at a specific truck on a dealer's lot?? If so, just open the door and copy down the weights you see on the stickers on the doorjamb. Also, lay down under the rear bumper and look up at the sticker that shows the hitch ratings.

The 6000 lb boat should be no problem for a Lariat with Max Tow.

However, you're right to concern yourself with the other stuff you'll be carrying as well.

Bob
As far as I no you can't use a WD hitch with a boat trailer because the frame is not your standard A frame it is a straight line and on top of that they have surge brakes which cannot be used with a WD hitch.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

I think your numbers are too theoretical. Go look at some actual Lariats on the lots, check the yellow sticker on the door for ACTUAL payload capacity. I have seen Lariats/Platinums with payloads as low as 1,300.

Max Tow does give you a bit more. My FX4 Max Tow Eco has an actual payload of 1,840. I'll be a Supercrew will be less. Anyway, check out some actual vehicles.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Melbeachmoose20
As far as I no you can't use a WD hitch with a boat trailer because the frame is not your standard A frame it is a straight line and on top of that they have surge brakes which cannot be used with a WD hitch.
The Equal-i-zer weight distributing hitch can be used with surge brakes. Here's info from their website:

Does the Equal-i-zer hitch work with hydraulic or surge brakes?
The Equal-i-zer hitch will work with most trailers equipped with surge brakes because the spring arms rest on rigid Sway Control Brackets, rather than being suspended by chains. The bars slide forward/backward while turning or braking, without the tendency to "spring" back into the straight position like bars hung from chains do. This allows the surge brake to be properly activated, instead of intermittently activating/deactivating the brakes, or not allowing enough compression to activate the surge brakes at all.
And with their "pole tongue adaptor" it can be mounted on a trailer that does not have a V-tongue:

Can the Equal-i-zer be used on a boat trailer?
Yes, the Equal-i-zer hitch works well with many boat trailers. In many cases the Equal-i-zer hitch can be installed just as it would be on any other trailer by following the Equal-i-zer hitch owner's manual, or with some minor adjustments shown in the Pole Tongue Installation Guide. Some trailers require the use of a Pole Tongue Adaptor if there is an obstacle like the tongue jack that might interfere with the spring arms.
The Reese SC may be able to be used with surge brakes as well.

Take a look at the sticker under the rear bumper - I believe that even with the Max Tow pkg the limit for a weight carrying hitch is 500 lbs tongue weight, and with a WDH I think it's 1150 lbs.
The following users liked this post:
Melbeachmoose20 (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can see some of the numbers in this photo, but the actual vehicle is at a dealer a long ways away, so no, I can't go look at the sticker myself.

http://photos.ecarlist.com/LG/C0/lU/.../xY/Kg_800.jpg

I understand that to haul big loads I have to have a WD hitch, and a WD trailer tongue right? But I thought that the max tow package included a WD hitch? Heres the vehicle window sticker if that helps...

http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...FW1ET2DKE92350

That being said Melbeachmoose20 is likely right, that the tongue weight may not be that high anyway, and 6k is farily heavy for the class of boat I'm talking about, I fudged the numbers in my scenario up a tad just to add a margin of error.

Oh and here is where I got the payload and verified the GVRW from...

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2013...tions/payload/

Last edited by lowew79; 05-12-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

A 6k lb boat will be easy peaky for an f150. Also an f250 payload isn't all that much greater than an f150. Those guys complain about low payload and most admit they tow overloaded. In fact most 3/4 and one ton trucks towing 5th wheels are overloaded on payload....
Old 05-12-2014, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by KR Kodi
The Equal-i-zer weight distributing hitch can be used with surge brakes. Here's info from their website:

And with their "pole tongue adaptor" it can be mounted on a trailer that does not have a V-tongue:

The Reese SC may be able to be used with surge brakes as well.

Take a look at the sticker under the rear bumper - I believe that even with the Max Tow pkg the limit for a weight carrying hitch is 500 lbs tongue weight, and with a WDH I think it's 1150 lbs.
Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by lowew79
You can see some of the numbers in this photo, but the actual vehicle is at a dealer a long ways away, so no, I can't go look at the sticker myself...

Unfortunately, the sticker on the bottom with the yellow on it is too blurry to read - and that's the one that has the payload capacity on it.

My King Ranch is optioned very similar to the truck you're looking at (4x4, offroad with skid plates, high-end pkg that contains the moonroof, etc.) and my truck weighs 6085. Actually, with my bed liner and tonneau it weighs 6180 when I weighed it on my local CAT scales.

So....if yours weighs something like 6100 lbs, 7650-6100 would give you around a 1550 payload capacity.

With a 600 lb tongue weight you'll have 950 lbs of payload remaining - and that's still almost half a ton for people and stuff in the truck.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 05-12-2014 at 10:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lowew79 (05-12-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check my towing math and help me decide please, thanks!