Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

" Cat Scales" , whats a surburban boy to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default " Cat Scales" , whats a surburban boy to do?

Ok, I live on Long Island ( BY THE BIG CITY ), and don't think I ever saw a Cat Scale in my half century here so , where do I go to check my weights ? to the vets office? cat scale...., get it ? , really though, where can I get weighed, help me find the mythical Cat Scale Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Jared

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazchris
Ok, I live on Long Island ( BY THE BIG CITY ), and don't think I ever saw a Cat Scale in my half century here so , where do I go to check my weights ? to the vets office? cat scale...., get it ? , really though, where can I get weighed, help me find the mythical Cat Scale Thanks
Truck stops. Bound to be one around. When me and a friend go to pick up a trailer on another trailer this weekend were going to stop at a loves truck stop before we pick it up and after to determine the weight of my to be mini RV. So find you a truck atop. It a scrap yard. They often weigh before you dump and after you dump to determine the pay out!!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 AM
ColdWar Vet-USN Shellback

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

You can go here to find one...

http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator
The following users liked this post:
Hazchris (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any rock quarries in your area? For a small few theyll most likely weigh you, at least the one i worked at would.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM

its funny, but with the size of Long Island and the amount of trucks, there is not one here that I can see, plenty of scrap yards , but I will wait till I am on the road and get one in NJ on the cat scale there. In my town, the LEO'S make the main road a truck stop, ( ticket writing stop ) and they weigh with portable scales, there should be scales here though, cause there are tons of trucks Thanks for the help guys
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM

here is the most likely extremely under-reported population of my little island
there are plenty of trucks bringing everything here all the locals need, very few truck stops though, they seem clustered on the mainland on the other side of NYC

Long Island
Long Island is an island in the U.S. state of New York. Stretching northeast into the Atlantic Ocean, Long Island contains four counties, two of which, are boroughs of New York City, and two of which are mainly suburban. Wikipedia

Population: 7,568,304 (2010)
Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

I live in Vermont. The 3 nearest CAT scales are in NY, NH and QC, with the closest being 2 hours away.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

One often overlooked scale source is the local moving companies. They charge by weight on moving and will have a local scale on site or nearby
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

The nearest CAT brand scale is at Exit 15E on I-95 in New Jersey.

However, surely there are some big truckstops off I-495 on Long island. If the LEOs are as productive as you indicate, then there will be a big demand for certified automated truck scales, but not necessarily the CAT brand. So if South Kearny NJ is too far, then check out the big truckstops off I-495. If they don't have a scale at the one you check, then ask any of the truckers that are refueling where to find a good truck scale located near you.

Surfing the yellow pages, here's a truckstop in central Long Island: Maybe call them and ask if they have a truck scale?

R & M Truck Stop Inc
(631) 253-2030
330 Long Island Ave, Wyandanch, NY 11798

Last edited by smokeywren; 01-28-2013 at 08:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hazchris (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
The nearest CAT brand scale is at Exit 15E on I-95 in New Jersey.

However, surely there are some big truckstops off I-495 on Long island. If the LEOs are as productive as you indicate, then there will be a big demand for certified automated truck scales, but not necessarily the CAT brand. So if South Kearny NJ is too far, then check out the big truckstops off I-495. If they don't have a scale at the one you check, then ask any of the truckers that are refueling where to find a good truck scale located near you.

Surfing the yellow pages, here's a truckstop in central Long Island: Maybe call them and ask if they have a truck scale?

R & M Truck Stop Inc
(631) 253-2030
330 Long Island Ave, Wyandanch, NY 11798
Hi Thanks! 495 is the long island expressway and its the main truck route, and you would expect a decent truck stop, but there are none , Jersey is most likely the best for me, I am picking up my trailer in PA, so there should be easy access to it on the trip. There are several scrap yards very close to me,but accurate honest weights may not be the norm there I looked at R&M, I believe it was a repair shop, and looks vacant now, I will use a cat scale on the road on the way home from PA, and when I take my first trip off island in Spring , I will get a weigh with the packed and ready to camp version. I am not worried about my weights, I should be well within spec, but when I know the exact numbers, I will have hard info so I will know exact numbers. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it

Quick Reply: " Cat Scales" , whats a surburban boy to do?