Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargo rack question

Old 05-31-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cargo rack question

Hi all, hoping for some knowledgable input here. I tow a double jet ski trailer modified to haul 2 fishing kayaks so my towed weight is very light. I am wanting to carry my 75 quart cooler on a hitch mounted cargo rack while towing the trailer. Is there a good, safe way to do this??
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Hi, Sam4msu, and WELCOME! to F150-Forum.

I would use a receiver hitch extension (adapter) similar to this one, that converts your single receiver into two 2" receivers.:
Connor receiver hitch extension

Plug the cargo carrier into the upper receiver, and the shank/ball mount into the lower receiver.

Problem is the limited weight that contraption can have without overloading the receiver. It will probably have 400 pounds max hitch weight, so about 200 pounds max for the cargo carrier/cooler and another 200 pounds max for the trailer tongue weight.

You may also need to use a drop ball mount to get enough space between the bottom of the carrier and the top of the coupler.

Last edited by smokeywren; 06-01-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:43 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Either buy https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Car...on/CC-255.html or custom weld a similar angle-iron and mesh-steel holder that mounts on the tongue of the trailer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cargo rack question