Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Trailer Towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Car Trailer Towing

Newbie question for towing.
03 F150 FX4 4x4 5.4L Triton automatic
Looking to tow a 72 Buick Riviera (4900 lbs.) with a twin axle car hauling trailer, ( maybe UHaul). Have a 10K hitch and 6k 2" ball mount, no trailer brakes and 4 pin factory wiring harness.
Will this truck tow it?
Old 12-14-2013, 11:04 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Tow it easily. But be careful with no trailer brakes. Not a big deal if you are careful but some states require brakes over a certAin weight.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First off... from one Buick owner to another, NICE CAR! That year Riv is one of my favs.

To your question... you mentioned U-haul trailers. I've used them before to tow my Buick and it seems that they move the vehicle all the way forward creating a lot of tongue weight. With a car as heavy as yours, that could be a little scary. Also, as long as that car is, I'm not sure how much room you'll get to balance the weight out if you can move the car back. Those U-haul trailers aren't that big if it's the trailer I'm thinking about.

The last U-haul trailer I rented also didn't have good brakes (inertia brakes that would slam the truck before starting to work).

You don't say how far you'll be towing or what type of terrain. Can't say I like the idea of towing w/o brakes. As mentioned above, some states require brakes for dual axle trailers or above a certain weight (which I think you're well above).
Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

U Haul trailers have brakes. Just make sure they work.

If you have to much tongue weight, back the car on the trailer.

But I am thinking you should be fine.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

The car + trailer is probably a 7k lb load. You definitely need trailer brakes (electric, surge, etc.).

Quick Reply: Car Trailer Towing