Can my FX4 with a 5.0 and 3.73 pull this? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



Can my FX4 with a 5.0 and 3.73 pull this?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Masterblaster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 74
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Can my FX4 with a 5.0 and 3.73 pull this?

http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHau...641&RVType=THT


I have the tow package, but still not completely understanding this tow thing yet. The last time I towed anything was a towed 20 mm Vulcan with a 6 wheeled Gamma Goat in the Army.
My truck model year is a 2012.
Masterblaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 189
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Look in your owners manual...probably.
500grhollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 147
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

The DRY hitch weight is 1100lbs, that's only going to get heavier with stuff and it's over the the weight distributing capacity of the max tow F150 trailer hitch IIRC?
astraelraen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to astraelraen For This Useful Post:
cosway (06-25-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Flatlander
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,128
Thanked 276 Times in 195 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraelraen View Post
The DRY hitch weight is 1100lbs, that's only going to get heavier with stuff and it's over the the weight distributing capacity of the max tow F150 trailer hitch IIRC?
Yup. But the garage is in the rear, no? That will unload the hitch weight quite a bit wouldn't it? As it sits, dry hitch weight is 19.68% of dry weight. Either way- that's still a hefty trailer to have swinging around with a GVWR just shy of 10,000lbs which could still put the way up there.
smurfs_of_war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago/NW Indiana Area
Posts: 1,587
Thanked 124 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterblaster1 View Post
http://www.forestriverinc.com/ToyHau...641&RVType=THT


I have the tow package, but still not completely understanding this tow thing yet. The last time I towed anything was a towed 20 mm Vulcan with a 6 wheeled Gamma Goat in the Army.
My truck model year is a 2012.
NO! Your "DRY" hitch weight is already over the rating on your hitch receiver. Load it up and your 1300 lbs or 1400 lbs. 3/4 ton/ 1 ton area.
Mike Up is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Up For This Useful Post:
cosway (06-25-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago/NW Indiana Area
Posts: 1,587
Thanked 124 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war View Post
Yup. But the garage is in the rear, no? That will unload the hitch weight quite a bit wouldn't it? As it sits, dry hitch weight is 19.68% of dry weight. Either way- that's still a hefty trailer to have swinging around with a GVWR just shy of 10,000lbs which could still put the way up there.
Maybe not. Depends on where the axles are and how heavy the cargo on the very back of the trailer is going to be. Looks like a very poor design. Doesn't surprise me being a Forest River product.
Mike Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,945
Thanked 579 Times in 401 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Up View Post

Maybe not. Depends on where the axles are and how heavy the cargo on the very back of the trailer is going to be. Looks like a very poor design. Doesn't surprise me being a Forest River product.
Toy haulers are like that.
packplantpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Member
Thread Starter
 
Masterblaster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 74
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I was thinking this was at the outer edge of my vehicles limits. Looking at my manual it says for the 5.0 on a 4x4 145 inch WB, 3.73 gr, max gcwr is 15100#, max trailer weight 9400#, it has the trailer tow package, whatever that is.
Masterblaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago/NW Indiana Area
Posts: 1,587
Thanked 124 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterblaster1 View Post
I was thinking this was at the outer edge of my vehicles limits. Looking at my manual it says for the 5.0 on a 4x4 145 inch WB, 3.73 gr, max gcwr is 15100#, max trailer weight 9400#, it has the trailer tow package, whatever that is.
Your tow weight rating isn't 9400 lbs unless you have a base truck. You have a very loaded and heavy truck which leaves very little payload left for your heavy tongue weight. You need payload for heavy hitch weights hence the reason for 3/4 and 1 tons. Plus you truck has a limited tongue weight rating for towing a boat or flat trailer that typically only has a 10% tongue weight. Most travel trailer have 13% tongue weights of total camper weight. Toy haulers can have up to 20% tongue weight.

Most people usually don't try to tow a toy hauler with a 1/2 ton truck, especially a Crew Cab high optioned model that's heaviest.
Mike Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
Member
Thread Starter
 
Masterblaster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 74
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Thanks for the info gents, Mike I see you are running the Jayco, you get along okay with that exact trailer?
Masterblaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas: 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost - Loaded OptimiStick 2009 - 2014 Truck Sales 5 04-11-2016 03:43 PM
Disappointed w 2015 F150...traded IndianaDanO 2015 - Present Ford F150 25 01-24-2016 12:07 PM
Southwest: 8.8 OEM ford gear 3.73 (used) lilspeedy626 2009 - 2014 Part Sales 4 09-15-2015 12:06 AM
2015 5.0 towing experience compared to 2011-14 5.0 Bullitt76 2015 - Present Ford F150 9 09-08-2015 08:29 PM
New member from VA! VA10 Introductions 0 09-03-2015 10:02 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com