Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the Ecoboost Tow My Tractor

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can the Ecoboost Tow My Tractor

Hi there -

I've been reading through some posts regarding towing capacities of the Ecoboost and trying to answer some key questions I have but aren't 100% sure on some things.

I've never towed anything substantial before, and am considering buying an Ecoboost.

I have a Kubota tractor I'd like to tow 2-3 times a year for 4 hours each time. The tractor (with backhoe, loader, and gas) weighs 7,300 pounds. I would need to get a trailer to tow it, which would weigh about 3,000 pounds, for a total of 10,300 pounds.

All the rest of my driving would be daily commute type of travel.

I'd be carrying two adults and 2 kids with some normal gear.

My questions are:
1) Can the Ecoboost really do this? Would I be unsafe, or tearing up the truck?
2) I saw some posts about tongue weight. How does the tongue weight factor into this?
3) I asked the Ford dealer to identify a 4x4 Crewmax with a 6.5' bed, a 3.73 axle and Max Trailer Tow package. However, I think I would also need the Heavy Duty Payload Package too, correct? I see Ford doesn't recommend the Heavey Duty package with the 3.73/4.10 axle (http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/). What's the difference between that and the 3.73 axle?

Thanks for any insight the Forum members can provide.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

For something you will tow only 2-3 times a year You will be fine. Make sure you get the Max tow pkg which comes with 3.73 gears and i would also get the HD payload pkg this way you will have plenty of payload and tow capacity. With the HD pkg you should have plenty of payload since the tractors weight will basically be over the trailers axles. I'm confident the Ecoboost will tow it with no problem.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The axle in the HD payload package has a heavier duty (larger) ring & pinion. This allows it to handle more stress for longer. It does not have the full locker of the the other axle & weighs more. Everything is a trade off. Unless your drag racing or doing alot of muding you will never notice the difference.

Horsepower & even torque (I know blasphemy) have less to do with towing than the brakes, suspension, wheelbase & cooling. HP & TQ help you get up grades & pull stuff more easily at speed but on flat grades at lowers speeds it's not as important.

If you get both packages you should be fine as the components that need to be upgraded are. It's won't be a rocket ship with that load but if you drive smartly it will be fine. Get a good weight distributing hitch or a 5th wheel and brakes on your trailer. Those packages will come with the integrated trailer brake controller.

Tongue weight is the percentage of the trailer weight that is carried by the truck. The tongue weight is taken directly from the payload & reduces the amount of weight you can carry in the truck (passengers, cargo & fuel). Typically it you want it in the 10-15% range of the total trailer weight. That would put your tongue weight @ 1030#s to 1545#s. Where your weight is in relation to trailer axle (pivot point for the weight) will effect tongue weight. You want the weight usually right over the axle or slightly forward of it. Never behind (behind increases trailer sway). The more forward the more tongue weight. The HD payload package with 4x4 in a supercrew 6.5' bed should give you 2310 lbs of cargo capacity (depending upon options). Going with a super cab or a 2wd drive truck will increase your weight capacity slightly as well as those components weigh less.

It's also important to drive slower with a trailer. Slower speeds add less stress to the situation from aerodynamic drag & cross winds and also makes it easier to stop in an emergency. Even with trailer brakes stopping times increase with a trailer. The drag over 60 mph increases greatly with each MPH this increases the load & therefore the wear on the truck & worsens your MPG.

More info can be found here in the F150 towing guide.
http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf
The following users liked this post:
jack12345 (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Opt for the HD payload and you'll be OK. I wouldn't be yanking it around more than a few times per year though.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A Lariat/FX4/upper trim F150 with Max Tow only (no HD payload) will have ~1600lbs of payload per the yellow door sticker.

I have seen XLT level F150 with Max Tow only (no HD payload) in the ~1800lb range per the yellow door sticker.

I think you probably need in the range of 1800lbs of payload to carry that load safely with passengers.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ecobeest
Opt for the HD payload and you'll be OK. I wouldn't be yanking it around more than a few times per year though.
X2. Go for the HD payload Pkg. Payload is most often the limiting factor when the loads get heavy.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

How do you intend to use the truck the rest of the time? People hauler, commuter, work truck? Depending, you may or may not want to upgrade to the HD payload.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If you desire to have it as safe as possible get the MAX TOW and the HD payload! My 12 FX4 eco has just max tow and a 1869# payload. A few times in a pinch I have had to tow a 6500# skid steer in a 4300# dump trailer. Power wise the EB handles everything just fine. If you can distribute the weight on the trailer rather than the tonque all is good.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willieboy
How do you intend to use the truck the rest of the time? People hauler, commuter, work truck? Depending, you may or may not want to upgrade to the HD payload.
Thanks for everyone's replies. Willieboy, the rest of the time will be commuter and family car. Sounds like most are recommending the HD payload. What are your thoughts based on how I'll use it? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

My 2012 has HD Payload and Max tow. It is also my daily driver, and people hauler (aka the family taxi). It rides AMAZING!! In fact it rides better than my 08 XLT short box. The thing handles as well, and in fact better than cars IMHO.

You'll have no issues using that combo of a truck for a daily driver.

Some people don't like the dumbo ear towing mirrors, but I love mine

Quick Reply: Can the Ecoboost Tow My Tractor