Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camper length important?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Camper length important?

So I have been trying to keep my search to travel trailers in the 26-28 foot length but I have stumbled on one that is 33 feet but only 7 feet wide (versus the more standard 8) so it is actually less hitch weight and less overall weight than most of the shorter ones (under 500 hitch, under 5000 dry..Palomino Solaire).

I keep seeing comments that people do not think half-tons should tow trailers over 30 feet. Is there a reason the length is problematic? I would think the narrow profile would actually be an easier tow versus a 27 long, 8 wide trailer?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

I suspect the potential issue with length would be in a heavy crosswind. The longer the trailer, the more force the wind is able to exert on it.

From a pulling standpoint, the truck does not care how long the trailer is, it sees the cross sectional area and weight.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:40 AM
ColdWar Vet-USN Shellback

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

You will have to look at how your truck is equipped, how much you load the trailer plus the truck and will have to get a good WD/anti-sway hitch (Tail wagging in the wind issue). Are you weekend warrior on short trips or do you travel extensively...flat land, mountains? Give us more info..is it the 28QBSS? Or a different model?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Trailer length IS important. You don't want the tail wagging the dog so to speak. A general rule of thumb is: divide your wheelbase length (in inches) by 5. That is the length of trailer generally considered safe. So, for example, an Extended Cab 145" wheelbase would come out to 29 feet.

The other big factor to consider is payload capacity. It is more limited than most people think. Check the payload capacity of your truck on the door sticker. Subtract: passengers, trucks accessories you have added, hitch weight ( you must have a WD hitch), bed load (coolers, tools, etc.). That is your remaining payload available for tongue weight.

Don't go by dry weight from the trailer brochure. It doesn't include LP tanks, trailer options, trailer load (food, clothes, et al).

Hope this helps. Be safe.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:49 PM

I think all trips will be within 1-2 hours from home. Everything I am looking at has pretty much identical weights for hitch and overall weight. I am looking at the palomino mentioned but I have also been looking at the Keystone Passports from 26-31 feet. Weight is not really different between them. Everything is 4800 to 5500 pounds on the yellow sticker. I purchased and equalizer 4 point sway in anticipation of the camper. It is Screw with short bed.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
....( you must have a WD hitch), ..
Maybe as the trailers get bigger, the WD hitch becomes more necessary.

I have trailered my Wilderness 2175 RB (500 pounds tounge weight) over 1,000 miles (from Iowa to Texas through the Ozark mountains) without weight distributing hitch and had no problem with sway.

I experimented with turning off my truck's computerized anti-sway and found the when I canceled the anti-sway control, the rig would start to sway, but only at the "nuisnace" level. Definitely well under control. I kept the sway control on except for a couple of miles of experimenting. It was easier to drive the rig that way.

The F-150 anti-sway control on my truck is very effective.

The real test will be when I put this rig on the road.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:34 PM

Sailor that is an awesome looking camper! I am leaning towards getting a passport 28bh which is 31 feet, 5400 yellow sticker, 610 hitch. I have the equalizer 4 point in hand. I am hoping that the fact I will be going generally 20 minutes away and driving alone (unloaded) will compensate for the fact that it is longer than anticipated. Please shout if I am being ignorant.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Yes, sway is an issue with increasing length. But a good (and expensive) hitch and proper hitch weight (>12%) can take care of that.

We're only looking at trailers less than 28' more because of the campsites we go to. Many of them are older and have limited large sites. The US National Parks are often like that.

And even when the campsite is long enough, backing your trailer around all the trees and rocks into that site can be a chore if it the trailer is too long.
Just today I barely managed to back our current 24' trailer into a site big enough for a 28' trailer without scratching up the truck or trailer.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts

This is an 02 screw pulling a 32' jayco ds with an equalizer WD hitch. With everything else set up correctly you will have no trouble towing what your looking at. I pulled this 550 miles passing semis, them passing me, stop and go traffic and had no sway and no problems. To be fair , I have been driving semi for 25 yrs and am very comfortable with the weight.
Attached Thumbnails Camper length important?-image-939333991.jpg   Camper length important?-image-3540139087.jpg  
Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by green18
Sailor that is an awesome looking camper! I am leaning towards getting a passport 28bh which is 31 feet, 5400 yellow sticker, 610 hitch. I have the equalizer 4 point in hand. I am hoping that the fact I will be going generally 20 minutes away and driving alone (unloaded) will compensate for the fact that it is longer than anticipated. Please shout if I am being ignorant.
You don't say much about your tow vehicle (or maybe I missed it). If you have the trailer towing package with the electric brakes hook-up factory installed, and you have added an equalizer hitch, you should be OK. You are probably pushing the limits of an F-150, but you are only making a 20 minute trip each way.

By comparison, my Wilderness 2175 RB is 4700 pounds empty and 500 pound tounge weight (approximate numbers). My truck weighs just over 6,000 pounds empty. It is a good combination for me. My planned trips will mostly be in the 200 to 500 mile range.

Quick Reply: Camper length important?