Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Travel Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Travel Trailer

Okay, I have searched and read and read some more, and haven't exactly gotten 100% comfy with the answers I have found.

I have a 2011 F-150
Towing package
3.73 electronic diff
5.0L
Factory Brake control

We are looking at getting a travel trailer and the one we have chosen has a total length of 29'1"

Dry weight of 4,860
Hitch weight 580
GVWR of 7500

We most likely will not be hauling it with any water, etc. We have a trip planned in Northern NM in May north of Taos. So there will be some mountain towing, but it shouldn't be anything to extreme. Based on what I have seen and read my truck should drag it right on down the highway or wherever else without a problem. I realize my fuel economy with be in the 10mpg range. I will have a weight distribution hitch as well as sway control.

Please give me some feedback and info on this setup please. This will be our first travel trailer.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 1,389 Likes on 664 Posts

As long as you keep a realistic approach to buying a TT and knowing what your truck is rated for and buying within what youre comfortable pulling your set up will be fine. Even without water weight can add up fast once you add food, gear and everything else that goes along with camping but the dry weight you posted is pretty conservative. Add approx 1500 pounds to that weight and you will be close to loaded weight which should still be well within the capability's of your truck. I pull a 30' Jayco with a dry weight of 5500 pounds with my 05 and it pulls it great.

Quick Reply: Buying a Travel Trailer