Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper Towing Over 5,100 lb.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 05:47 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Bumper Towing Over 5,100 lb.

I am sorry if this has been asked. I did use the search function but couldnt find anything on this.

I have read many of the threads on towing and I feel like I have a pretty good handle on how to calculate everything. But, what puzzles me is in the owner's manual in the towing section there is a note that says not to bumper tow over 5,100 lb, and not to tow anything over 5,100 lb unless you have an upgraded tow package.

So just to clarify, by bumper towing the owner's manual is referring to standard hitch towing correct? They dont actually mean bumper towing like I use to do on my 96" Tacoma? Where the ball was centered in the middle of my rear bumper?

If hitch towing is what is meant by bumper towing than isnt about 80" of this forum violating this rule? I see pic after pic of of people hitch towing 25+ foot trailers on here. Those trailers are definitely over 5,100 lbs.

So am I missing something? Does a WD hitch mitigate this? Am I wrong on the manual's verbage? Is this 5,100 lb an over cautious rule that donesnt need to be followed? Is my math bad?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by SnowF150
So just to clarify, by bumper towing the owner's manual is referring to standard hitch towing correct?

No. They literally mean towing off a trailer ball installed in the rear step bumper. If you look at that step, you will see some embossments that shows a knockout piece in the plastic cover of the step. Remove that plastic and you can then install a trailer ball to literally tow a "bumper pull" trailer. But also notice the warning stamped into the plastic cover that the max weight limit of the bumper hitch is 500 pounds. That is a weight-carrying (WC) hitch only. You cannot add a weight-distributing (WD) hitch to that step bumper.

However, the receiver hitch under the rear step bumper may also be rated 500 pounds max hitch weight WC. You can tow trailers that have hitch weight more than 500 pounds only with a WD hitch in the receiver hitch.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (03-22-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I believe they are talkin about a ball mounted to the bumper
Old 03-20-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok that makes sense. I didnt realize anybody did the "bumper tow" on new vehicles any more.

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:16 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Base XL trim "work trucks" purchased by some fleets do not come standard with a receiver hitch. So the only way they can tow a small trailer is with the bumper hitch. But many of those stripped-down fleet specials have to tow some light-duty trailers with GVWR of 3,500 pounds and hitch weight up to 500 pounds. So Ford still makes it possible by the provision of adding a ball mount to the step bumper.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Where R U?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I typically put a ball on my step bumper for towing my small utility trailer. I use the receiver hitch for my travel trailer.

Quick Reply: Bumper Towing Over 5,100 lb.