Bucket or Bench Seat when towing alone - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing

Bucket or Bench Seat when towing alone

Old 07-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Bucket or Bench Seat when towing alone

Hi Folks,

I am new to towing and will be taking a 24' travel trailer on some adventures and will probably be going on my own a lot. Since I won't have a spotter, I plan on having a camera system in the back of the trailer.

It would seem to me that it would be wise to spec a truck with bench seats so that I can slide over to the passenger side to get the big picture when I am alone.

Any thoughts appreciated - I am new to towing!
guyofthewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

-->
Old 07-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #2

Are you saying that you'd try to reach back to the drivers side for controls while you try to hang your head out the passenger window???? Bad idea in my opinion. Without someone else at the back no amount of moving around in the cab will help you see what's directly behind the trailer anyway. Get your mirrors set properly and you'll be fine, just take your time.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

Front seat configuration should not have any bearing on towing - alone or not.
You're going to be behind the wheel or you are going to have the truck in park and walking around the trailer/truck.
humblerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Are you saying that you'd try to reach back to the drivers side for controls while you try to hang your head out the passenger window???? Bad idea in my opinion. Without someone else at the back no amount of moving around in the cab will help you see what's directly behind the trailer anyway. Get your mirrors set properly and you'll be fine, just take your time.
Sorry I wasn't clear.

I was just thinking that when positioning into a tight spot it would be more convenient to put it in park and slide over for a peek out the passenger window, than get out (in the rain maybe) to see the full picture. My question is if this is a common problem when backing into a campsite, etc?
guyofthewest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guyofthewest For This Useful Post:
ecopat (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

Especially if it is tight, you will be getting out of the truck - even if it is raining. Can't imagine a scenario where sliding over the seat to look out the passenger window will show you any more than the mirror will show. In my opinion, you will never do that. Or at least won't do it again after you try once. Just not anything you can see from that vantage point that will assist you in backing your rig.
humblerb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humblerb For This Useful Post:
guyofthewest (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #6

I don't want anyone to direct me as I'm backing. I will use mirrors from drivers seat, than get out look, back a bit than get out again.
raisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM   #7

Decent tow mirrors correctly adjusted will be your best friend. In my opinion, bucket seats are more comfortable for long trips than bench seats.....
seaeagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle2 View Post
Decent tow mirrors correctly adjusted will be your best friend. In my opinion, bucket seats are more comfortable for long trips than bench seats.....
This ^ and set up so you are not blind side backing. "GOALS" Get out and look stupid!!
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #9

Hey gotw, get yerself a girlfriend
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
Hey gotw, get yerself a girlfriend
Like they're any good at spotting in the first place. Get used to jumping out and walking back to assess how much room you have. What I'll do is walk back and determine that I want to move back 12" for example, then return to the driver seat, spot the ground next to the truck and move approximately rearward 12" from your spot. It's doable but not ideal. Parking alone requires a lot of back and forth...
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM