Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brand new 2014 f150 trailer light issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand new 2014 f150 trailer light issue

Hi, I have a brand new 2014 f 150 with towing package. I'm having a problem with my boat trailer lights. I know the boat trailer lights are good and work, when hooked up to my older truck they work perfectly. when I hook up the new truck to either connector on back of truck(has 7 pin and 4 pin connection available) the left hand side lights all work but none on right side. I used a light tester to verify the connectors on truck are good and they pass the test so I know the truck is good. I don't understand why my other truck works perfectly and the new one doesn't. I did check fuses and all look good not to mention again the truck connections checked out good. Anyone else have this problem and have a fix?
Jeff
Old 04-13-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

That's really bizarre, especially considering you tested each pin on the 7 pin connector. Only bit of input I would add is that in the 13' model year the 12v accessory circuit for the 7-pin connector comes from the factory without the fuse & relay installed. They're in a little baggie in the glove box and the user actually has to install the fuse/relay. This energizes the 12v 30-amp accessory circuit on the 7-pin connector typically used for house power or interior lights on enclosed trailers. It's just a wild *** guess, but maybe your boat trailer requires this circuit to operate and maybe you don't have the fuse/relay installed yet???
The following users liked this post:
GotHonks? (04-18-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 10:34 AM

Thanks, I did see a bag with some stuff that I put away I will try that tonight and let you know what happens.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:23 PM

Well I found the bag with the relay and fuse put in and still no right side trailer lights. Again, everything checks out and trailer lights function perfectly with my other truck. anyone out there ever see this before?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Are you sure the old truck and boat trailer are wired to standard pin configuration? Also, when you say no right lights, is this stop/turn AND tail? You have to differentiate between the two. If you have left tail but no right tail you have a trailer issue because they feed from the same wire on the truck. The stop/turn circuits are dedicated right and left. If you look in the fuse box you'll find fuses for trailer left stop/turn and trailer right stop/turn. What I think has happened is your trailer is wired non-standard (right turn/stop and ground are reversed) and you blew the fuse. Over the last 35 years I have wired/re-wired probably at least a hundred trailers and seen this many times.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:42 PM

Hey thanks for the response. When I say right side I mean stop/turn and tail do not work at all. Left side stop/turn tail all work. It sounds like you have plenty of experience with this sort of thing which is great. Why would my other truck and other peoples that have been hooked up to the trailer work? All the fuses are fine as well, I checked them. What do you recommend I try to fix it?
Jeff
Old 04-13-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

I would start with hooking the trailer up, and checking to see if you are getting power on the trailer side of the connector. That helps ensure the connector is getting the signal through it. If you are getting a signal then verify the trailer is wired correctly. If no signal then check the connectors. Sounds like maybe the connector may not be wired correctly.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:50 PM

Figured it out, bad ground on right hand light to frame. Thanks for all your input and help!!!
Jeff
Old 04-14-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by grandmstrj
Figured it out, bad ground on right hand light to frame. Thanks for all your input and help!!!
Jeff
But it was such a great theory...... There I go over thinking things again. Glad it was an easy fix.

Quick Reply: brand new 2014 f150 trailer light issue